The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 9, 2012, 05:38 PM   #1
spanishjames

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel wants state handgun registry!

If this isn't an all out attack on law abiding Illinois gun owners, I don't know what is.

According to the mayor "requiring handgun owners to register particular weapons would reduce the flow of illegal guns into Chicago from around the state by making it easier for police to figure out where they came from."

"The registry proposal, which Emanuel said lawmakers will introduce in Springfield in coming weeks, would require anyone who buys a handgun to pay a $65 registration fee. To register a gun, a purchaser would need to provide his name and address, along with the weapon's serial number and the place and date of purchase. The registry would be in addition to the firearm ownership standards all gun owners must already meet."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/p...,5729705.story
http://isra.org/

This is a bold move by the Mayor, knowing that Wisconsin just passed concealed carry and that's it's been a huge success. I'm sure the fact that gun sales have gone through the roof in recent years has something to do with this. The revenue generated by this scheme would be astronomical.

The lovely States of Indiana and Wisconsin are calling to me more and more.
Old February 9, 2012, 06:26 PM   #2
MTT TL

Quote:
“Number 1, my first response was I don’t know why you’re trying to do this statewide because we don’t want your policies on us downstate,” said Phelps, a Southern Illinois Democrat from Harrisburg. “Number. 2, it’s never going to work. They’re trying to go after criminals. They’re never going to register their guns. They won’t pay the fee. “
LOL, why he thinks criminals won't pay to register their guns is a mystery to me.
Old February 9, 2012, 06:44 PM   #3
CowTowner

Quote:
But Emanuel said statistics show more than half the firearms recovered by Chicago police come from inside Illinois.
You think maybe if law abiding citizens could legally purchase, own and use firearms to defend themselves without jumping through hoops a circus acrobat has problems with, might stop some of this?
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old February 9, 2012, 07:17 PM   #4
C0untZer0

Wel, it's time to write to my representatives again.

For people who live in Illinois if they don't know exactly who all of their elected officials are here is a link where you can find out:

http://www.elections.il.gov/District...ByAddress.aspx

I just wanted to remind people in Illinois that IGOLD is coming up:

http://igold.isra.org/
Old February 9, 2012, 08:16 PM   #5
taylor351

I am sure that all of the gang members in Chicago will now go get their FOID card so they can have background check done. So they can legally registar their hand guns. $65 dollars per handgun then after 5 years 25. If fail to registar felony...

Last edited by taylor351; February 10, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old February 9, 2012, 09:10 PM   #6
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

He's just expressing his feelings about having to sign that check for a large amount of money to the Second Amendment Foundation.

Illinois should try tracking criminals, not guns and law-abiding gun owners.
Old February 9, 2012, 09:47 PM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
What an idiot and took less than a year to show his true colors.
Let's keep things civil, shall we?

So far, registry is considered constitutional. We're a bit of a way from challenging that one. That said, is there much chance of such a measure gaining traction in the rest of the state?
Old February 9, 2012, 10:03 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

POINT of LOGIC...

Quote:
requiring handgun owners to register particular weapons would reduce the flow of illegal guns into Chicago from around the state by making it easier for police to figure out where they came from."
HOW?

Someone, please, explain to me how this would work? Police can't trace a gun they don't have. SO, the gun already HAS TO BE IN CHICAGO for the police to trace it (after they take it from a criminal), so, how does making it easier for the police to tell where a gun WAS (through registration records) stop or reduce the flow of the gun into their city, WHEN IT HAS TO BE THERE ALREADY for them to trace it?

Now, if I'm missing some part of the grand master plan (that would actually make it work), PLEASE, fill me in!

And no, I don't think they are idiots. I think they think we are!
Old February 9, 2012, 10:43 PM   #9
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
And no, I don't think they are idiots. I think they think we are!
And you'd be right, unfortunately. The idea of gun advocates having a lucid, powerful voice is a relatively new one, and one the supporters of gun control don't know how to fight.

As far as registration schemes go, it's not intended to work. The intent is to make ownership harder. They can't ban the things, but they can make the process so difficult and costly that people don't bother. That's the true logic at the core of it.
Old February 9, 2012, 10:55 PM   #10
Onward Allusion

A better question is whether the proposed fee would be legal. $65 to register a gun? Some of the old timers easily have a dozen if not dozens. It amounts to taxing gun ownership retroactively. I'm not a legal scholar, but wouldn't that go against the 2nd? "you can keep and bear arms...but you gotta pay a tax to have 'em".
Old February 9, 2012, 11:07 PM   #11
bitttorrrent

Guys, has nothing to do with guns and everything to do with money.

Emanuel is pretty smart, keeps his head out of the limelight (unlike Dailey did) and is in search of m o n e y.

The City has sucked dry all the other avenues and this is a way to rake in some money. Thats it.
Is parking your car 6" over an imaginary line worth a $50 ticket. Do City Stickers have any benefit aside from getting cash to the city.

It's all about the money.

On another note, if this helps bring CC to IL, I would be for it. (I know it is too much to register each gun especially if you have a lot of them) but maybe only for new guns and over a certain price point.
Old February 9, 2012, 11:13 PM   #12
Tom Servo
Staff

Allusion, the Supreme Court has found taxation on the exercise of other rights to be unconstitutional. However, the contours of the 2nd Amendment are still being hashed out in the courts, so it'll be awhile before we can challenge schemes like those proposed in Illinois.
Old February 10, 2012, 12:28 AM   #13
spanishjames

Quote:
On another note, if this helps bring CC to IL, I would be for it. but maybe only for new guns and over a certain price point.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I didn't think any gun owner would actually say that. (First they came after those with new guns, then the expensive guns, then...........)

Before I saw that post I was going to say that Chicago/Cook County is going to use this as a bargaining chip so they could go along with Concealed Carry.
The question is: Would the legislators who voted YES on HB148 (concealed carry), also vote YES to gun registration? Or, would the legislators who voted NO on HB148, now vote YES, so long as guns are registered?

They know people will throw a fit over the $65.00, so after a few months they'll just lower it to $25.00, then people will say "ok, that's not that bad, where do I sign", and we'll be California.
Old February 10, 2012, 12:35 AM   #14
MLeake

Hey, it's not like Emanuel is known for abrasiveness, impetuousness, stubbornness, or hubris.

Oh, wait...
Old February 10, 2012, 01:03 AM   #15
kilimanjaro

Well, registration may or may not be constitutional, but no felon can be compelled to register his firearm, that is unconstitutional self-incrimination contrary to the 5th Amendment.

So Mayor Rahm knows exactly what his scheme will actually accomplish....
Old February 10, 2012, 01:34 AM   #16
gc70

Quote:
As far as registration schemes go, it's not intended to work. The intent is to make ownership harder. They can't ban the things, but they can make the process so difficult and costly that people don't bother. That's the true logic at the core of it.
True, fighting registration schemes is not currently at the top of the pro-gun judicial to-do list. However, there are ample legal precedents concerning the 'chilling effect' of government fees on the exercise of fundamental constitutional rights. TS is correct that the underlying purpose of Chicago's registration scheme is to discourage the exercise of the RKBA. As such, Chicago or some other locale will eventually provide the fodder for a case to not only challenge a particular city's fees, but more broadly to challenge all gun-related fees.
Old February 10, 2012, 02:12 AM   #17
Mike38

To register my handguns, eight of them, would cost me $520. And that goes to Chicago? I don’t think so!

They got lost in a boating accident on the Mississippi River, sorry.
Old February 10, 2012, 02:56 AM   #18
cheezhed

I think that most guns come into Chicago from Eric Holder.
Old February 10, 2012, 09:00 AM   #19
spanishjames

Quote:
To register my handguns, eight of them, would cost me $520. And that goes to Chicago? I don’t think so!
It would go to the State. He wants State legislators to introduce the bill. Chicago has its own registration.
Old February 10, 2012, 09:57 AM   #20
rebs

ll this legislation that is harming legal citizens is not needed, if they would just enforce the laws already on the books. NY has a 1 year mandatory jail sentence if you are caught with an illegal or unregistered hand gun, but it is never or rarely enforced. It always comes down to a plea bargain with a slap on the hand or maybe probation. Tougher enforcement against off3enders would solve a lot of problems.
The you have the anti gun owners that just simply want to take your guns away from you, the government wants to disarm you and make you totally dependent on them for being safe and protected. Without gun ownership we would all be a bunch of lambs waiting to be exploited and slaughtered at the hands of criminals.
The cops get to a scene in time to write a report of the incident that has already happened. There is not enough of them and or they have too large of an area to patrol and cannot respond quick enough. It is not the cops fault its the government that wants to cut costs and lay off law enforcement officers.
Old February 10, 2012, 10:51 AM   #21
plainbrown

we ALREADY register firearms - long guns & handguns, right?

help me out here - how is this different than FOID?

i mean, other than generating close to $100 million for the state in the 1st year (conservatively)?
Old February 10, 2012, 10:59 AM   #22
tet4

Truthfully, there's not a chance that it would pass in the current environment. Rahm, is just, well, being Rahm. He wants to placate his liberal friends that got him elected.

But, if gun owners in IL are on their game, they will make a huge stink over this and all other gun control proposals in the future. I know ISRA has one lobby day per year. I think they should make it a once a month event and really start demanding some real results from their legislators. Enough is enough already.
Old February 10, 2012, 11:03 AM   #23
jimbob86

Quote:
Illinois should try tracking criminals, not guns and law-abiding gun owners.
They can't do that. Too hard. They have to be appearing to do something to earn their pay ..... so it's the path of least resistance.

Resist. Maybe they'll do something constructive for a change.
Old February 10, 2012, 11:05 AM   #24
Herr Walther

This is one resident that won't be registering any guns with Illinois.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old February 10, 2012, 11:08 AM   #25
jimbob86

Quote:
On another note, if this helps bring CC to IL, I would be for it. (I know it is too much to register each gun especially if you have a lot of them) but maybe only for new guns and over a certain price point.
Quote:
I didn't think any gun owner would actually say that.
I did not either.

Divide and conquer, just like England.