The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 4, 2012, 05:13 PM   #1
HelloDolly

Sig P238 ammo suggestions

Looking for ammo suggestions for my Sig P238. I am interested in full metal jackets for the range as well as hollow points for carry.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old March 4, 2012, 05:27 PM   #2
380guy

Dolly,

I shoot a Colt Mustang, so very similar to your SIG.

I have settled on Remington UMC bulk 95 grain FMJ RN for practice which is available for just $78 per 250 rounds at many outlets.

It shoots to same POI as 90 grain Speer Gold Dots and Winchester bonded DPX-1. These are arguably the best defensive ammo available as Speer is electro-plated and Winchester bonded, so they dont loose weight going through barricades.

the Remington FMJ RN is the fastest of bulk 380 ammo at 870 fps from my 2.75 inch barrel. Gold Dot is about 925 fps.

Other FMJ rounds like the Speer Blazer and excellent (very accurate) Winchester FMJ FN shoot a bit slower (840 and 827 fps) and shoot low and right in my pistol.

The Remington is next in accuracy after the Winchester FN and Gold Dot. So good ammo for the money.
Old March 4, 2012, 08:05 PM   #3
RickE

Hornady Critical Defense is a good HP Sd round.
Old March 4, 2012, 08:10 PM   #4
Mr H

I have no issues with UMC or WWB in my two. Fed Champion (Wally World) seems OK as well.
Old March 4, 2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Erikbal

Someone actually posted a video from youtube that showed that the Hornady XTP hollow points actually had more penetration than the Hornady critical defense rounds in ballistic gel. The XTP is what I carry but I imagine they're probably pretty close to the gold dots and federal HPs.
Old March 4, 2012, 08:32 PM   #6
Indi

I use wallyworlds federal 50ct for range. I have critical defense which i bought for sd but recently switched over to pow'r ball by corbon. I think critical defense is awesome ammo, i have it for all my guns, but after watching a youtube video where it was shot through some pork ribs into ballistic gelatin. The bullet (critical defense) only penetrated about two inches. Critical defense does not go by the fbi standard, which i really dont care about, but only two inches of penetration after hitting the ribs had me worried. I own a convenience store and to see that had me worried that it would not be enough to stop a perp. I undersatnd shot placement is everything, but im no 007. My wife also carries the sig when shes at the store. They cost about the same. My p238 has eatn everything i have feed it, im sure yours will too. FYI the only time it gives me a problem is after about 250 rounds without cleaning. Keep it clean and itll keep on going
Old March 4, 2012, 09:30 PM   #7
Indi

http://youtu.be/AD4Z5hKg8zs heres the video with a lack of penetration for critical defense. On the other hand, in .45acp I can tell that critical defense was a better built bullet. The powrball were not all seated correctly some were deaper than others, ALL the critical defense .45acp were seated exactly the same.
FYI if your in jersey i think Hollow points are illegal to carry for sd.
Old March 8, 2012, 09:15 AM   #8
FishEagle

Check your Recoil spring

I have been having some issues with the Remington .380 JHP in my Sig. After firing about 40 rounds the slides are full of powder residue. I'm talking about chunks the size sand. And the shell casings come out black.
The Sig is brand new, so I thought the recoil spring should be in great condition. But I got some new ones just in case. To my surprise the new one is about an inch longer. (Yes, the old one is the new flat spring)
Old March 8, 2012, 09:47 AM   #9
icedog88

PMC is a pretty reliable range round in FMJ. As others have stated, I carry Hornady Critical Defense in mine.
Old March 8, 2012, 05:50 PM   #10
jsk

PMC works 100% in mine. The Remington UMC is filthy and will eventually get it dirty enough cause a stopage. The WWB flat nose usually works OK but sometimes I'll get a failure to fully chamber requiring a slight push on the slide to fully seat the round. Hornady XTP and CD both work perfectly.
Old March 11, 2012, 02:24 PM   #11
JohnnyO

Sig P238 needs hard Ball ammo +p to do personal defense

Really should read this story by Bullalo Bore about the reality of .380 hollow point not going deep enough to do the job.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...duct_list&c=60
Old March 11, 2012, 03:57 PM   #12
johnpfern

I have a Sig 232 and like to carry the 90g Hornady Critical Defense FTX for self defense.For the range I have only had problems with the Winchester whitebox fmj cartridges that have the flat nose. My sig hates them apparently and consistently has "failures to feed" because the flat nose does not make it up the feed ramp and into battery.
Old March 12, 2012, 04:03 AM   #13
Nakanokalronin

I carry Critical defense in my P238. No problems feeding and quite accurate.

This test with 4 layers of denim seems pretty impressive IMO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H9M6cZGd18&feature=fvst
Old March 12, 2012, 07:59 AM   #14
icedog88

Quote:
Really should read this story by Bullalo Bore about the reality of .380 hollow point not going deep enough to do the job.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...duct_list&c=60
Sure, I'll buy a box of 20 at around $25 recommended by the person trying to sell it . In his scenario, I'm not sure either HP or FMJ would have worked!