The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 4, 2012, 10:47 AM   #1
SocialAnarchist

Umarex Regent 1911A-1 .45 acp

I posted this in another topic area and a moderator moved it. The link he left is dead so I don't know where he moved it to so here goes!

I handled one of these today at a local gun store and to be butally blunt I loved the way it felt in my hand. It seemed to be very well constructed, and the fit and finish was very good. It had wood checkered grips, extended safety, beaver tail grip safety, Novak style sites with white dots, and enlarged discharge port.

The pistol is made in Turkey.

Does anyone have any experience with this gun?
Old March 4, 2012, 06:19 PM   #2
tahunua001

I wasn't aware that umarex had their hands in anything centerfire. I would advise caution. umarex is a european sporting company that specializes in BB guns and airsoft. they make a few rimfire guns, the Colt 1911 rimfire and the Walther P22 are probably the two best known and both are made out of pot metal with serious issues more common than not. if a company can't even make a passable 22LR then I would have serious qualms about owning a 45ACP.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old March 4, 2012, 09:09 PM   #3
gc70

Umarex does not make the Regent. The Turkish firm TISAS (Trabzon Gun Industry Corp.) makes the Regent and Umarex is the current importer. There are quite a number of reviews of the Regent R100 available on the internet.
Old March 5, 2012, 12:08 AM   #4
gyvel

I made the unfortunate mistake of purchasing one of these based on the "glowing" report in the American Rifleman. It was a hard lesson learned: First of all, I now believe NOTHING I read in The American Rifleman, and secondly, I have NO idea what "Strict NATO Standards" are, but they evidently aren't much.

The gun I received was looser than any WWII specimen I have ever handled, and the internal parts were crudely cast and exhibited much evidence of hand fitting. The disconnector was improperly made and (a) kept the slide from going into battery without a pretty good palm slap from the rear, and (b) would sometimes not allow the hammer to go to full cock (it would drop to half cock, then lock up the slide).

The mainspring housing and grip safety both showed extensive filing, apparently in an effort to make them fit. The casting of the hammer was particulary poor.

The trigger opening in the frame will not allow a standard GI trigger to pass through, so you're stuck with the factory trigger, or an altered custom trigger.

I solved most of my problems by removing the factory internals, throwing them in the garbage and replacing them with GI parts that I had on hand. Unfortunately, I couldn't replace the trigger, so it stayed.

The gun is safe now and functions OK, but accuracy is (to be charitable) mediocre.

Some might ask why I didn't send it back. The answer is that the gun was $369.00 shipped, and the importer won't pay for return shipping for warranty work.

The gun has been relegated to duty as a truck gun. Think twice before you buy one.

As a final note, I had two Sarsilmaz shotguns that were also train wrecks.

For me, there are NO MORE Turkish guns in my future.

YMMV
Old March 5, 2012, 01:14 AM   #5
Hansam

SocialAnarchist - I think I know of the very gun you're contemplating. If I'm correct the seller wants $400 for it. While the price for a 1911 is VERY tempting I would advise against it.

For only a couple hundred more you can get a NIB RIA or HOWA 1911 which will be better made and more reliable.
Old March 5, 2012, 11:11 AM   #6
tahunua001

Quote:
SocialAnarchist - I think I know of the very gun you're contemplating. If I'm correct the seller wants $400 for it. While the price for a 1911 is VERY tempting I would advise against it.

For only a couple hundred more you can get a NIB RIA or HOWA 1911 which will be better made and more reliable.
really? back when I was naive and knew absolutely nothing about guns except that they are fun when the go bang(not that long ago actually) I was considering getting a rock island GI 1911 with the price tag of exactly $400+ tax at my LGS. rock islands or even citadels would probably be a better choice in the $400-500 range.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old March 5, 2012, 11:14 AM   #7
Hansam

You can find a basic GI model RIA or HOWA for around $400-$500.

If you spend a little more money you get more features - including the features the OP was talking about.