The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which is better, Glock 21 or HK USP 45?
HK USP 45 27 62.79%
Glock 21 16 37.21%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 5, 2013, 06:37 AM   #26
jp_over

thedudeabides,

Thanks - I'm leaning towards the HK45 but have not spent much time looking at the Sigs. I'll do so. I'm a long time Glock owner (26, 17, 19, and 21) but don't have a "dog in the fight" as far as preference.

I'm just doing some research to see how I can get Glock like functionality in a .45 platform (with a more supported case head).
Old March 5, 2013, 06:45 AM   #27
thedudeabides

If you're on a budget, get a G21. If you're dead set on a hi-end plastic gun, get the HK45.

If you want the most accurate non-1911 45 for 800-900 dollars new, get a P220 in alloy or steel.

Case head support shouldn't be a huge deal with 45, tho. Unless you're intending to shoot 45 Super.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:58 AM   #28
jp_over

Good stuff - will consider.
Old March 5, 2013, 04:06 PM   #29
1hogfan83

BIG deciding factor! Polished ramp and solid steel guide rod. I can almost guarantee that plastic piece of junk will go out first on a block. Mine did. I replaced it with a steel one, still no good. You have to turn the gun to hit the mag release or slide release unless your a gorilla. You have to pull the trigger to disassemble. The HK is the AK of the pistol world, I upkeep mine just because it was an expensive gun. Other than that, beat the crap out of it. The reason their are so many up grades for the glock? Its needs them!
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old March 5, 2013, 04:19 PM   #30
Uncle Malice

Quote:
The HK is the AK of the pistol world
You've obviously never detail stripped an HK

....I'm pretty sure that award goes to the Glock...

The principal benefits of the Glock are the same as the AK...

- As few parts as possible
- Loose tolerances to keep flexibility and reliability at a premium
- Affordable and durable
- Ugly

The HK is more like the SCAR. It looks cool, it's rugged and reliable... but it's all proprietary stuff.
Old March 5, 2013, 04:46 PM   #31
temmi

I have both and theUSP is hand down a better HG.

That said bith grips are just too wide for me

Snake
Old March 6, 2013, 12:46 PM   #32
EMH

If you're going to spend $900-$1000 on an HK, you might as well just get a SIG for that price. You probably hate money if you want to spend $1000 on a polymer frame gun. Glock > HK.
Old March 6, 2013, 04:47 PM   #33
dgludwig

Quote:
Being one that prefers the hammered fired, SA/DA type pistols I have to go with the HK.
Being another one that prefers the same, HK for me too.
Old March 6, 2013, 06:25 PM   #34

Don't know why you left it out, and my evaluation also considered the FN FNP-USG and the M&P. The pistol that I decided was best after considering all options and not wanting to pay $1000 for an HK45, I chose the SA XDm 4.5. Same size pistol with slide rails that make the others look miniscule and they are integrated into a SIG/Sauer type locking block that if ever necessary, could be replaced. Then there's the "Match Grade" barrel and a single action trigger that can be tuned finer than any of the others with trigger pull weigh decided by the owner. No MIM parts and no brass to the face issues. My pistol ejects cases almost as well as it shoots.
Old March 6, 2013, 08:35 PM   #35

As much as I like the Glock design, I'd have to break with that preference and go with the HK USP45 which exactly what I did when I had to decide. Now I have three.

Just something about the very business-like appearance of the HK series that appeals to me.

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION
Old March 6, 2013, 08:42 PM   #36
BGutzman

Im not a Glock fan for many reasons which for today I will not spell out here.

H&K are very solid weapons with advanced engineering. Pistols like all guns are a very personal thing.. My best advice is to rent one and give it a try, in fact try all sorts of pistols if you can...

Some of my good friends in this forum love Glocks.... to each his own... but give them all a try and see what you think.... Never buy a gun based off advertising, any gun...
Old March 6, 2013, 11:17 PM   #37
USMCGrunt

I went with the USP-45. I also own a host of .45 Autos to include a Glock 21, M&P45, a German Sig P220, 1911s, P90, a 24/7 OSS, EAA Witness and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting but still the USP-45 comes out on top. I did wind up converting it over to the tactical model and the match trigger and O-ring barrel really improves the pistol even more. A big reason in addition to the excellent accuracy and utter reliability I prefer the USP is that it's made for cold weather shooting. A glove that is warm enough to withstand sub-zero weather for extended periods of time doesn't work well with the smaller trigger guards of other designs like the 1911, Glock and others. However, the cavern of a trigger guard on the USP, especially when carried cocked and locked is large enough for the heaviest glove without any problems.
As far as the rails, remember that H&K was the pioneer when it comes to putting a light rail on a handgun. The Picatinny rail didn't even exist when the USP came into being so I don't fault H&K for the rail design. Yeah, they could have upgraded it but I'm going to bet that new moulds aren't cheap to produce.
Old March 7, 2013, 12:36 AM   #38
justplainpossum

I went to the range and shot a bunch of different .45's. I ended up choosing my Springfield XDM, but the HK was the runner-up. Among other things, I preferred the XDM's safety grip to the safety button on the HK. The HK was a very nice gun, though, and fun to shoot.

The Glock wasn't comfortable for me personally, it was too big. I know it's a very popular gun, though. I'm so glad I went to the range, as suggested, and tried them out, instead of just picking one from behind the case.
Old March 7, 2013, 01:53 AM   #39
Powder_Keg

Great choice, I love my XD45. The ergonomics and accuracy right out of the box are awesome.
Old March 7, 2013, 04:08 PM   #40
dgludwig

Quote:
The Picatinny rail didn't even exist when the USP came into being so I don't fault H&K for the rail design. Yeah, they could have upgraded it but I'm going to bet that new moulds aren't cheap to produce.
There is more than one source (Brownell's and CDNN are two that come to mind) that sell affordable adapters that affix to the HK proprietary mount which, in turn, affords a Picatinny rail to accomodate lights and/or lasers that require them.
Old March 7, 2013, 06:35 PM   #41
willmc33

When I had my USP 45 I bought a NCG aluminum rail adapter that fit and worked perfect for $11.00 from Amazon and it shipped free to my door in 2 days. Hard to beat that.
Old March 8, 2013, 11:19 AM   #42
RC20

In reality neither one is an AK. glocks may be loose but they do have a very vulnerable striker system. So unlike an AK you can't actually get gunk in the strike and have it work (regardless of glock PR movies of dumping in mud and shooting they are extremely careful to keep it external and of course you never see the failures)

Quote:
You've obviously never detail stripped an HK

....I'm pretty sure that award goes to the Glock...

The principal benefits of the Glock are the same as the AK...

- As few parts as possible
- Loose tolerances to keep flexibility and reliability at a premium
- Affordable and durable
- Ugly
Old March 8, 2013, 11:23 AM   #43
RC20

Not being abel to shoot a gun vs its real accuracy are two different animals. Some people just don't shoot some guns well, so unless someone who does shoot an HK well shot the gun said it was inaccurate I would discount that.

And what kind of reliability issues did you have? Details are relevant. Some indeed do not shoot well but the malfunctions and surrounding details should be listed.

Quote:
I tried an HK. Based on the features I thought it should be the perfect gun. Mine did not deliver. I was not at all impressed with the accuracy or reliability. I understand that anyone could get a lemon, and most HK's were probably better than the one I had but my Glock has proven to be a better gun in every way.
Old March 8, 2013, 11:26 AM   #44
RC20

A couple of postings refer to price when the OP specifically stated that price was irrelevant. Ergo price should not bear into it (gun itself and I would include magazines)

Quote:
The USP will run you 900-1000 bucks. Most Blocks will run 500-600. You could argue you could buy 2 Glocks for one HK. Neither come with night sights for those prices.