The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which is better, Glock 21 or HK USP 45?
HK USP 45 27 62.79%
Glock 21 16 37.21%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 3, 2012, 06:14 PM   #1
WheelGunRealGun

HK USP 45 vs Glock 21

Which do you think is better, and why? Price is not an issue, I'm considering both.

How do they compare in accuracy, reliability, longevity, durability, etc...?

If you voted, please leave a post saying why you think which is better?
Old March 3, 2012, 06:49 PM   #2
plouffedaddy

Both are great guns, and you won't go wrong either way. I own HKs with several different trigger systems but I prefer Glock triggers to all of them By Glock triggers, I mean fully polished with a "-" connector All of my Glocks with that set up break cleanly between 4.5-5lbs which for me is great (I realize opinions on this vary...).

Like I said, both guns will serve you well buy my G21 SF is an awesome gun.
http://gunreviewguy.blogspot.com/201...00-rounds.html
Old March 3, 2012, 06:53 PM   #3
tahunua001

two words made the difference for me; supported chamber. if price is no object then the only real advantage the Glock has over the HK is gone. with that said, I'm not really a fan of either, the USP is probably one of the clunkiest service pistols ever designed but they are built like tanks.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old March 3, 2012, 07:00 PM   #4
Farmalljon

Wow, what a tough choice......I own both, and both are superb weapons. The HK fits my hand SLIGHTLY better...the Glock points slightly higher. The Glock holds one more round. I really like the V1 double single trigger on the HK. The Glock's trigger is a LITTLE on the mushy side, but once you are used to it it becomes "normal". Both have options to change the trigger weight/pull. I like the HK's mag release a LITTLE better. I shoot the HK only SLIGHTLY better than the Glock, but that varies with each shooter. If you throw price into the equation, I'd say get the Glock, but since you said price is not an object, it really is a toss up. Try to shoot them both with the same ammo and see which one you do better with. I gave the nod to the HK in the poll but only because I shoot it slightly better than I do the Glock.

Old March 3, 2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Uncle Malice

A difficult decision to be sure. I recently picked up a Gen4 Glock 21, which I really really like. In the past, I've owned a Gen 3 G21 and a Gen3 21 SF model. The Gen4 is definitely my favorite.

I would also love to pick up a USP Compact 45... or an HK45. Both are very good guns. I like the ergos on the HK45 better than the Glock 21, but I shoot the Glock 21 much better.

This is something to be aware of. I've owned multiple HK's with various trigger systems. I love the feel of them and the look of the HK guns. For some darn reason, I can't shoot them very well... it really irritates me, and I know it's just me, because it happens with every HK I shoot.

I shoot Glocks, Sigs, M&Ps, XDs, and XDMs pretty well. I would strongly suggest shooting both if you can, outside of just holding them. By just the feel in hand, I would choose the HK... but after shooting them, I go with the Glock.

I still want to pick up the USP Compact or HK45.... just to have and shoot... but unless I suddenly start shooting them well, it will never reach carry duty for me... although I probably shoot them accurately enough for self-defense purposes... it's just not good enough for ME. Your results may vary.
Old March 3, 2012, 07:08 PM   #6
Jo6pak

Quote:
Price is not an issue
that right there decides it, get the HK
Old March 3, 2012, 07:08 PM   #7
jmr40

I tried an HK. Based on the features I thought it should be the perfect gun. Mine did not deliver. I was not at all impressed with the accuracy or reliability. I understand that anyone could get a lemon, and most HK's were probably better than the one I had but my Glock has proven to be a better gun in every way.
Old March 3, 2012, 07:14 PM   #8
arch308

I preferre the simplicity of the Glock, just my adherence to the KISS rule. The HK is, I'm sure, a great weapon and a bit more expensive and a bit more complicated.
Old March 3, 2012, 07:35 PM   #9
stokesj19

Not in the same class.

Not bashing GLOCK by any means, but the USP is a better gun. I understand the glock nuts will argue til blue in the face. But it has a better trigger. Just as reliable, and durable.
Old March 3, 2012, 08:29 PM   #10
Hammerhead

I had two G-21s and a USP 45.

For reliability and accuracy at 50 yards the USP was clearly better. I never had one failure with the USP even when experimenting with handloads. I shot some of my very best groups with it. It did not fit my hand real well and the safety/decocker was a stretch for my thumb.

The Glock ergonomics were better for me, but the 21 didn't feed SWC handloads (plated or jacketed) reliably. Had a few failures to feed with ball ammo with my older gen 2 21. The gen 3 21 was better.

Another one to consider is the HK45, much better grip and safety placement than the USP and every bit a accurate and reliable.
Old March 3, 2012, 08:34 PM   #11
mnhntr

Being one that prefers the hammered fired, SA/DA type pistols I have to go with the HK.
Old March 3, 2012, 11:32 PM   #12
RC20

Its like comparing a VW bug to a Corvette. Yea the VW runs with no issues, but at a terrible price.

I have handled the HK and love the grip (and shot the P30, HK makes the perfect grip, I wish my Sig SP2022 grip felt as good as the HK does). Handled a Glock, and well, its like the steering wheel in a VW. It works but does not feel good.

The HK is a fantastic shooting and handling gun. Glock, ugh. Kind of like dating your sister.

HK function is awesome and you do not have the issue of stuff getting into the striker and mucking things up (they don't tell you how picking strikers are to goo in them which is why you have to be really careful about the lube, and then they claim you can drop it in a swamp and have it work? hmmmm)
Old March 4, 2012, 12:07 AM   #13
chris in va

I wanted so badly to like my 21sf, but the mushy trigger, odd grip angle and aircraft carrier-wide sight plane kept throwing off my shots to the point I finally gave up and got my beloved CZ.
Old March 4, 2012, 09:03 AM   #14
RT

IMHO, HK45> G21> USP. I would also consider the FN and M&P pistols
Old March 4, 2012, 09:57 AM   #15
PoorSoulInJersey

I've owned both and it's a hard call. Removing price, I'd lean toward the H&K.

The H&K had a safety and decocker, so could carry in condition 1 like a 1911. I don't like DA/SA, but H&K gives you some options there. It felt like it had less recoil to me. My big complaint is the proprietary rail which makes you either buy their super expensive lights or buy an adapter first. The H&K had a better fit and finish.

The Glock fit my hand a little better and I could buy any standard rail accessory for it.
Old March 4, 2012, 01:28 PM   #16
IMightBeWrong

I agree with RT. I love HK, and they make some high quality products, but I don't consider the USP line one of them. They're boxy with crap ergonomics, the controls are stiff, their triggers suck, and the finish scratches pretty easily in my experience. Glock on the other hand feels less boxy, has a better trigger in my opinion, and has a tough as nails finish.

HK makes some great guns. I loved the P7 and I love the P30 line and like the HK45 line a lot with the exception of the lack of decocker option the P30 has. The USP doesn't fit the same quality there in my opinion, but I know there are tons of people who would disagree with me there.

In the end, I don't subscribe to the idea that if "HK" is stamped on the gun and the price is high, it's automatically a great high quality firearm. I think the Glock is every bit as high quality as a USP overall, if not higher, and it has a better price point just as icing on the cake.
Old March 4, 2012, 03:12 PM   #17
Uncle Malice

Quote:
the lack of decocker option the P30 has
I don't know what this means. ALL P30s except LEM models have a decocker.
Old March 4, 2012, 04:18 PM   #18
IMightBeWrong

I'm comparing the HK45 to the P30 there. I wish the HK45 had the same back of the slide decocker the P30 has. Since they use the thumb control like the USP instead, I have a slight preference for the P30 design compared to the HK45 design. I wish there was a variant for the decock button on the HK45, I would buy one in an instant if there was!
Old March 4, 2012, 06:56 PM   #19
scottycoyote

im a glock owner, like them alot. Also like the hk, would own one if i could justify the price/had a spare 800 bucks fall in my lap. If it was for a carry piece id prob lean more towards the glock, if it was for a target shooting or a nightstand gun then hands down the hk.
Old March 4, 2012, 07:10 PM   #20
ksblazer

Go down and rent both. Then buy the one that you like shooting the best.
Old March 5, 2013, 12:52 AM   #21
jp_over

good discussion

This is a good discussion. I'm considering trading in my G21 for an HK USP set up exactly like a Glock (LEO trigger, no external hammer, no safety.). Any thoughts on this configuration?
Old March 5, 2013, 01:17 AM   #22
willmc33

I have owned both. Still have the G21. The deciding factor for me was the HK's severe lack of aftermarket anything. It took me awhile to find a good holster for it second was the insane cost of HK magazines. They were around $60.00 a piece before all this craziness BS started. To me the HK was well built and I love the way they look but that being said its performance was not worth the extra price to me. Awesome pistol but other awesome pistols are out there with better aftermarket, more capacity, cheaper magazines, better customer service, and a whole lot cheaper and easier to fix should something happen to break. My opinion of course but I think its sound.
Old March 5, 2013, 01:19 AM   #23
willmc33

I wish I had read this post was from over a year ago...lol.
Old March 5, 2013, 04:30 AM   #24
jp_over

I'm glad you posted - good info!
Old March 5, 2013, 06:20 AM   #25
thedudeabides

The USP will run you 900-1000 bucks. Most Blocks will run 500-600. You could argue you could buy 2 Glocks for one HK. Neither come with night sights for those prices.

While the G21 is a good gun for 550ish, the HK USP45 is not twice the gun the Glock is.

You have more options with the HK, like a true spurred hammer, decocker and/or safety (you can carry it "condition 1"), a DAO-ish LEO trigger all the HK forums love but it actually kind of sucks.

The Glock has either a chubby grip, or somewhat more ergo for SF. Gen 4 has adjustable grip panels. HK has a one-size fits all slender and slippery grip that you either love or hate. Both have a stupid proprietary rail.

Both are equally accurate. The HK is not some plastic 1911. It doesn't shoot any differently from a Glock. It's not better than an alloy or steel gun (such as a P220 which comes in both). The difference is that Glock has a 5.5 pound trigger safety which actually engages pretty reliably, HKs have super long trigger pulls, even in SA mode. It's rubbery, too, and leads to crappy muscle memory and discipline that's hard to unlearn for other DA/SA guns--like Sigs.

If you are dead-set on an HK in 45 ACP, think about the HK45 in full size. It has a true hammer, decocker, aggressive grips, and adjustable grip panels. It costs a bit more, but is a MUCH BETTER GUN. Or just get two Glocks, since plastic guns aren't that special.

(and before anyone calls me a hater, I've owned and sold several 45 Glocks and HKs in the past, none were better than my P220 or 1911s). The HK45 full size came closest.

...oh, and stay away from the HK forums. They're more obsessed with taking the perfect Tacticool photos of their guns, knives, etc. than discussing how they shoot.

Last edited by thedudeabides; March 5, 2013 at 06:32 AM.