The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 2, 2012, 08:28 PM   #1
terrybarb3

.308 reload sizing problems on my LMT rifle

I recently got a Lewis Machine & Tool rifle in .308. Using my Dillon 550, I made up loads that cycled in my M1A without problems.
I cannot get my reloaded .308 rounds to chamber fully in my LMT. (I am using non-primed nor powder rounds - always do that first to be certain they chamber before I start making live rounds)
I have two different sizing dies. One that came with my Dillon 3 rifle die set, and another for the trimming. I've placed both dies all the way down to the plate. yet still cannot get those rounds to chamber into that LMT.
Has anyone else had problems similar with their LMT rifles?
Any suggestions on a resolution?
Old March 2, 2012, 08:58 PM   #2
jepp2

Quote:
I've placed both dies all the way down to the plate. yet still cannot get those rounds to chamber into that LMT.
Setting a die down to the headplate doesn't mean the headspace is set correctly. Without knowing more, it sounds like the headspace on the M1A is greater than the headspace on the LMT. Have you tried measuring how much you are setting the shoulder back? That is the only way to properly set the die. You should me moving the shoulder back about 0.004" for proper chambering.

If this isn't clear or doesn't make sense, feel free to ask questions.
Old March 2, 2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Slamfire

It is very likely that the cases that came out of your M1a are now oversized and that your current sizing dies cannot push the shoulder far enough back and your cases may be fat.

I recommend using a cartridge headspace gage, Wilson 308 in picture, to set up your sizing dies, this will allow you to control the length of the case. Without gages, you have no idea of what is happening when you size your cases.

I recommend using a small base die to reduce the case down close to factory width.

Old March 2, 2012, 09:45 PM   #4
30Cal

We can speculate or you can buy a case gage and get a real answer.
Old March 3, 2012, 10:08 AM   #5
wncchester

" I've placed both dies all the way down to the plate. yet still cannot get those rounds to chamber into that LMT. "

If that's as far as you've gone all it means is your die touches the plate. Look under the die and see if it still touches the plate when a case is fully inserted. If there's a gap, and there likely is, turn the sizer down until the gap is closed.

All we can learn with a 'drop in' case gage is if the case will fit the gage, it still may not fit any given rifle; that's why so few of us bother to buy such gages.
Old March 3, 2012, 10:34 AM   #6
terrybarb3

Slamfire - small base dies

Slamfire, you are the second person to mention 'small base' dies to me. I've been reloading mostly pistol cartriges and thousands of .223 over the years and am not familiar with them. What are they
Old March 3, 2012, 10:40 AM   #7
terrybarb3

wncchester - gap issues

I actually have most case gages,,, even one for the .308 winchester. I lost that one two weeks ago being stupid and cleaning my reloading bench at 4:30am one morning i couldn't sleep.
Your comment as to why the go/no go regarding case gage issues is intersesting... I cannot find a single retailer that sells case gages in Michigan. Plenty of reloading supply stores-but not one case gage for sale.
Supply & Demand does create some blaring realities some times.
BTW, I am going to try your suggestion in looking for gaps while resizing (while i still look for the missing case gage).
Old March 3, 2012, 07:48 PM   #8
30Cal

Small Base (SB) dies put a tighter squeeze down at the bottom, near the case head, than a normal FL die will.

Considering that a new die costs more than a gage/comparitor, I'd try the comparitor first.
Old April 22, 2013, 03:23 PM   #9
Roper57

LMT 308 Feed Problems

I wanted to know, did you ever find a cure for your feed problems? I have a new LMT and I have the same problem. I reload bolt rifles with no problems but, this LMT seems to be a little more sensitive. I'm using SB RCBS dies.

Roper57