The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2012, 06:37 PM   #51
CrustyFN

Quote:
Now wait a cotton pickin minute. All it says that I've never used Lee presses is not that I have no experience, but rather that I have comprehension and critical thinking skills...

I get on here and read Wah, my Lee press...and it's thread after thread like that...and you suggest that I need experience the Lee Frustration to understand? Ha! I have comprehension my friend and understand your red problems without being there. Then my critical thinking kicks in and I go hmm, a guy could bypass all that frustration by buying a different color. Dick Tracy I am.

You guys can buy anything you want. If you like to tinker and save money, then perhaps Lee is for you. But if your just starting out and need to minimize your chances for problems, perhaps Lee is not for you.

(Boy, you guys are proud of your Lee stuff aren't you?)
I wouldn't say proud it's just that my classic turret has worked flawless and I am not afraid to let people know. I have had it six years and have loaded thousands of rounds of 9mm, 38 spcl, 45 auto and 223. Nothing on the press has broke or wore out including the 50 cent plastic ratchet piece. I can load close to 200 rounds per hour and everybody I know that has used one likes it a lot. JMO but it doesn't seem like a piece of crap to me. Sorry it didn't meet up to your standards.
Old March 5, 2012, 06:49 PM   #52
CrustyFN

Quote:
You Lee owners are taking offense to this and seek to try to paint me as some kind of basher. Why is that? SHouldn't new reloaders with questions be steered to the best stuff?
This is why some called you a basher.

Quote:
If you get a Rockchucker press, you'll never have to take part in a how do I make my red thing work thread. You can get on to learning to reload and bypass all the crap. Even if Lee does warranty your stuff, you still have frustration.
You said yourself after this that you have never pulled the handle on a Lee press. If you have never used one then how can you be the authority on the quality of Lee presses. That would be the same as me saying, don't buy anything from RCBS it's either crap or made in China. I wouldn't expect anybody to value my opinion on RCBS either.
Old March 5, 2012, 06:50 PM   #53
Sparks1957

Quote:
before you get a bigger budget and move onto the gear that will actually last and produce top ammo
At this point, I just want to shoot more for the amount of money spent on ammo.

I'd really rather buy more guns instead.
Old March 5, 2012, 07:17 PM   #54
m&p45acp10+1

Sparks if you buy a basic set up it is not difficult to net results to where you get to shoot a whole lot of rounds for the price you now spend on ammo. I know I do not save any money. I have many times over as much more ammo.
Old March 5, 2012, 07:28 PM   #55
CrustyFN

Quote:
At this point, I just want to shoot more for the amount of money spent on ammo.
The best thing to do is try to find 2 or 3 people close to you and place a group order from powder valley or graf's so you can share the hazmat and shipping. That will help to get the component price down a little.
Old March 5, 2012, 07:30 PM   #56
Sparks1957

Thanks. Yeah, I know I won't save any money... I'll just shoot more, particularly rounds like .45acp and .380 that I go a little easy on currently.

My .22s and 9mms are getting fired a lot these days, simply because they're cheaper.

My nephew who lives 15 minutes away is thinking of getting set up, I'll see if he wants to buy components together
Old March 5, 2012, 07:45 PM   #57
CrustyFN

The best part is picking up enough brass at the range to justify buying a new gun. I picked up 2,000 45 auto cases at the range so I had to buy a 1911 so I would have something to shoot them in. I hate when that happens.
Old March 5, 2012, 07:55 PM   #58
dacaur

Quote:
You Lee owners are taking offense to this and seek to try to paint me as some kind of basher. Why is that? SHouldn't new reloaders with questions be steered to the best stuff? Perhaps you can't afford the green stuff and it burns you up that others might? Thats the wrong reason.
No one is taking offense. New reloaders SHOULD be pointed to the right stuff. What should NOT happen is for someone that has no personal experience to try and talk new people into writing off an entire brand, simply because their uneducated opinion is that its not any good. You will notice I dont say anything, good or bad about RCBS presses... thats because I have not used one, And I am not in the habit of talking out my ***.... I have used lee, and nowhere is it lacking.

Quote:
If anyone truely looks over products the way I do,they could see why Lee is cheaper. But that also doesn't always mean that they won't work or even do a good a job as the others,it does mean that they made the stuff faster or pushed cutters farther and cut some cosmetic processes to keep prices down.
Honestly I dont care how pretty my press is, as long as it works. Cast iron is rarely pretty (IMO) anyhow, but it is tough, no matter what color it is.... I am a machinist too, if we tried to make every part as pretty as possible, it would drive costs WAY up, with nothing to show for it but higher prices (and a different color?) Some parts need a finisher, but many just need a rougher and leave it at that, because a rough finish wont affect the part in any way but cost..... our customers sure appreciate that, just as lee customers do.

Quote:
My take is, yes I HAVE bought Lee, 2 out of three products failed to work as they are supposed to ,the third is clearly poorer workmanship(which is why the other two failed
That doesnt do anyone any good unless you tell us what the product was and what failed. Please do tell. I could definitely complain about lees chamfer/deburr tool, but simply because that doesnt stand up to my expectations, that doesn't mean the lee brand is crap...
Old March 5, 2012, 07:55 PM   #59
ScottRiqui

Same here - I'd gathered up so many pieces of .45 ACP brass, that buying a 1911 this weekend was the next logical step.
Old March 5, 2012, 08:57 PM   #60
dunerjeff

Dacar; if you must know.One was a 30-06 die,the sizer ,the bore that sized the neck was so rough(like the cutter tips were chipped,you being a machinist should know what that looks like)it could not resize the brass,every lube tried ,stand on the press handle,(sounds of brass about to seize).Dealer I bought them from,didn't believe me(probably just like you),used Lee lube,forced,siezure.Replaced with a different color,I had the 100 cases done in 15min,no prblems.
Number 2: Breech Lock press,needed just a cheaper backup single stage for forming ect... couldn't get things to come out concentric,tried,different dies ,same.took dies out and ran the ram up ,looked down the die hole,ram OFFCENTER approx, 1/16",Took back for full refund,ordered different color,works great for what I needed it for.
number 3: 9mm luger die set,this is the one that works,but threads were sharp and full of burrs(a person could easily slice a hand open,turned in press difficult),same with the seater ,sliced up the o-ring in short order,I put them all in the lathe and polished all threads smooth.now does work.

BTW I work in a Stainless shop ,Food grade everything is, we will not be working if we left things rough and not good quality. Things MUST be "pretty" our customers are happy for it.
Old March 5, 2012, 09:25 PM   #61
dacaur

wow. I could see why you don't like lee after that spat of bad luck. You must know that's all it was though, you got unlucky. All brands will have a defective product now and then. Obviously its incredibly rare to get that many bad products in a row.. My 3 lee die sets are perfect (.308, 30-30, and 9mm). If it we as common for everyone to get bad stuff like that from lee, there wouldn't be so many raving fans. I can at least respect that your opinion comes from actual experience. Not much can be said... Ive had bad experiences with companies that others rave about, and i guess its normal to not want to try them again... you can only be burned by a company so many times.... its really to bad though that you got burned by such a great company. Do know though, that your experience isn't typical....
Old March 7, 2012, 05:19 PM   #62
CrustyFN

Quote:
You must know that's all it was though, you got unlucky. All brands will have a defective product now and then.
First of all this is not directed at anybody here it's just an observation from the many forums I visit. What I have a hard time understanding is some people will buy a Lee product and when it breaks they throw it away without giving Lee a chance to make it right and then go around telling everybody Lee is crap. Every time somebody has a Dillon product break they get a replacement from Dillon and start a thread on how great Dillon's customer service is. I just don't get it.
Old March 7, 2012, 05:42 PM   #63
dunerjeff

In my case,the 30-06 sizer was my first die I bought from them. I did call Lee and asked about sending it back, the guy I talked to flat out said "the reason my die was seizing was because I wasn't using Lee lube ". That was his "help".
I had tried Imperial wax, RCBS case lube,gear oil(I was trying anything at this point),Hornady One Shot(I didn't really expect this to work).I had gone fron using just a dab of lube to dripping. Thats when I decided to replace instead of having Lee fix it.
BTW when the LGS owner seized his case in that die,he was using Lee lube.
Old March 7, 2012, 09:13 PM   #64
Lost Sheep

Expectations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyFN
)edited for brevity) What I have a hard time understanding is some people will buy a Lee product and when it breaks they throw it away without giving Lee a chance to make it right and then go around telling everybody Lee is crap.
I have a theory

My friend broke a Lee press (by tripping and falling against it, snapping it off at the base). It was their $30 simplest press. He threw it away. It had come as an accessory to the purchase of Lee's Manual and the package had been on sale for $11. So, he figured "No loss".

I, on the other hand, knowing Lee does have a one year warranty (and not knowing my friend had tossed the press) called up a Lee outlet I was dealing with on a separate issue and told the story (the true story) and they said to send it back to them and they would replace it. (And they weren't even the original seller.)

My friend had low expectations, so never gave it a thought. I try always try to allow people or machines to excel.

He does not bash Lee (though he could). I only bash Lee for the stuff that is ill-designed (of which I find little).

Lost Sheep