The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 28, 2012, 04:12 AM   #1
Elliottsdad

Well then where AM I allowed to carry?

I live in Omaha, Nebraska and am researching the application proccess for a concealed carry license. I ran across this at the Nebraska State Patrol website; these are locations prohibited from concealed carry:

Quote:
018 PROHIBITED PLACES AND PREMISES
018.01 A permit holder may carry a concealed handgun anywhere except:

018.01A Police, sheriff, or Nebraska State Patrol station or office;
018.01B Detention facility, prison, or jail;
018.01C Courtroom or building containing a courtroom;
018.01D Polling place during a bona fide election;
018.01E Meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or other political subdivision;
018.01F Meeting of the Legislature or a committee of the Legislature;
018.01G Financial institutions as defined by Nebraska Revised Statutes § 8-101(12);
018.01H Professional or semi-professional athletic event;
018.01I School building, school grounds, school-owned vehicle, or school-sponsored activity or athletic event of any public,
private, denominational, or parochial elementary, vocational, or secondary school, a private postsecondary career school as defined in Nebraska Revised Statutes § 85-1603, a community college, or a public or private college, junior college, or university;
018.01J Place of worship;
018.01K Hospital, emergency room, or trauma center;
018.01L Political rally or fundraiser;
018.01M Establishment having a liquor license which derives over one-half of its income from the sale of alcoholic liquor;
018.01N Any place where the carrying or possession of a firearm is prohibited by state or federal law;
018.01O Any place or premises or employer owned vehicle where those in control of the place, premises or vehicle have prohibited permit holders from carrying concealed handguns; or
018.01P Any other place or premises where handguns are prohibited by state law.
I'm running down my average day. Most grocery stores in Omaha have the no concealed carry sign, so they're out. Most gas stations do, too. I work at a hospital, so that's out. I take night classes; can't carry there, either. Can't carry in church (not that I feel the need, but just saying...). I'm beginning to feel like passing the concealed carry laws were merely lip service. They've created a system where there's an illusion of the privelege: for all intents and purposes, they've allowed pretty much every business in the city to "opt-out" by posting these signs.
I thought we went through an intensive background check, classroom experience, qualified with the weapon, and paid a large fee, all for the privilege to carry a concealed weapon. Am I missing something, or is this total BS?
Old February 28, 2012, 06:00 AM   #2
PPBart

I suppose it's sorta like "your right to throw a punch ends when you hit my nose." Ones right to carry concealed ends when the private property owner says no.
Old February 28, 2012, 07:37 AM   #3
wally626

A lot of those restrictions were probably imposed as part of a deal to get the permit into law. What you can do now is work with the legislature to reduce the number of prohibited public places and remove automatic restrictions on private places. Private can still post signs of course but take away the automatic. Make sure there is a law that says local governments cannot restrict guns more than the state. All states have these issues, but no court case is going to remove them only legislative action.
Old February 28, 2012, 08:46 AM   #4
Nathan

Not sure how long ccw has been around your part of the country. OH was the same. Now the law has been rewritten some and most of the signs have fallen down, not to be replaced.

I know a place who redid their door and didn't add the signs back. I'm sure other places are similar. I just wish they wouldn't have tied the private property places to the state ccw law.

If you took the signs out of the law, people could still put them up and force you to leave, it just wouldn't be a felony then! I think you, as a property owner, are allowed to block customers as long as you don't block by a protected class.
Old February 28, 2012, 09:42 AM   #5
Sparks1957

The OP makes me so incredibly grateful that I live in VT. Thanks for the reminder.

Get involved politically; it's the only hope you have of changing anything.
Old February 28, 2012, 11:13 AM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Well then where AM I allowed to carry?

Deleted

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; February 29, 2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Not sure it was completely focused on thread question only
Old February 28, 2012, 11:46 AM   #7
Sefner

Why would you not feel the need to carry in church?

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...80/detail.html
Old February 28, 2012, 12:03 PM   #8
lawnboy

Quote:
I suppose it's sorta like "your right to throw a punch ends when you hit my nose." Ones right to carry concealed ends when the private property owner says no
A posted "no weapons" sign on private property has no legal standing in some states. WA is one. I believe Wisconsin may be another but I don't live there so I'm unsure but I remember talking about it on another thread.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old February 28, 2012, 12:32 PM   #9
Technosavant

Many states have similar lists, complete with a mechanism for property owners to post the place off limits to carry. In some states carrying in those locations is an actual crime, in others (like MO), it is nothing until they ask you to leave and you refuse, when it becomes trespassing.

When CCW first passed, a fair number of places posted. Now, it's almost a rarity to see a sign and of those who still post, they almost seem ashamed of it and hide the signs in a location where there's no authority whatsoever (since it needs to be posted in a conspicuous place... 20 feet from the entrance hidden by other signs or things isn't conspicuous).