The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Under the pillow or not?
Yes 13 7.10%
No 170 92.90%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 29, 2012, 12:53 PM   #51
Ronbert

From the US Navy Safety Center-

"B. A lance corporal was at home, in bed, in dreamland, which seems hunky-dory except for the fact that he was sleeping with a .40-cal. pistol under his pillow. To make matters even more iffy, it was loaded.

Not sure what sort of dreams he was having, but one of them eventually featured a loud “Ker-blammo!” and a searing pain in the palm of his hand.

I can’t think of anything more uncomfortable than a loaded weapon under my pillow, but maybe I’m just not security-conscious enough. And even if I did have one, I’d wake up every 15 minutes to make sure that safety was on."

That's what I'd worry I'd do too.
Old February 29, 2012, 01:09 PM   #52
jibberjabber

in jest

If you can't sleep with a gun in your hand (finger off the trigger), I would suggest a good holster for your kevlar reinforced pajamas.
Old February 29, 2012, 06:02 PM   #53
Double Naught Spy

Oh, you are going to want hearing protection as well. The pillow between the muzzle and your ear isn't doing to do much to dampen the noise you experience.
Old February 29, 2012, 07:23 PM   #54
Nnobby45

Quote:
For me no way. I am prone to sleep walk.
Kind of interesting that there's even a discussion about having a loaded weapon under a pillow where it could be gripped and fired if one is having the "right" kind of dream that involves a firearm.

No sleepwalking required for that kind of accident.

NO gun under the pillow. Don't know about all of you, but there's no telling where my pillow (or gun) is going to end up while sleeping.

And yet, some act as though it's a simple matter of just reaching under the pillow and grabbing their gun in an emergency, as if it's still going to be right there exactly the way they left it. I'm not a sleep expert, but if you sleep that soundly, you wouldn't hear Bubba in the middle of the night, anyway.

More likely you'll be grabbing around trying to find it and the chances of it being positioned for a quick grip are rather iffy

Gun on the night stand, or secured to the side of the bed, or on the far side floor will be right where you left it.

Last edited by Nnobby45; February 29, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old February 29, 2012, 08:00 PM   #55
dalegribble

sure, keep it under your pillow and keep it cocked. the darwin awards are looking for you.
Old March 3, 2012, 10:07 AM   #56
G-man 26

Yes

Glock 17 gen3 RTF with the Streamlight TLR-1.

The rough texture of the frame keeps the gun right where I left it. The magazine is loaded, but the chamber is not. If someone makes it through everything else to get into my room, I'll not arm them with a gun lying in the open on my nightstand.

If they are close enough that I cannot run a round into the chamber, then they are close enough to loose some teeth to my Glock striking tool. If I am not awake enough to run a round into the chamber, then I do not need to be shooting anyway.

It has worked for me for years, and the flat profile of the glock is far more comfortable to sleep on than the 92fs that used to pull this duty. Ymmv.
Old March 4, 2012, 10:59 PM   #57
rod5591

get a dog

I think you need a dog. Even a little yapper will do the job. You need to be awake with your gun in your hand before the bad guy walks into your bedroom. a dog will ensure that happens.
Old March 5, 2012, 02:02 AM   #58
Irish B

You are putting yourself and your family in more danger by keeping a loaded firearm under your pillow than by not even having a gun at all
Old March 5, 2012, 02:15 AM   #59
Derekc294

My Rottweiler and Bulldog don't get you my trigger happy wife with the 45 will..lol
Old March 5, 2012, 02:48 AM   #60
JJW

While I am not in favor of having a gun under my pillow, I read here that there are those who do. For those who do, and have had, or fear, the gun falling to the floor during sleep may I suggest the use of one of those "sticky IWB holsters". At least the gun should stay where you put it. Nothing can prevent a negligent discharge, but at least the gun is where you can get to it.
I like the custom made compartment under the night stand, but I am not much on building. I did find that there are several "under the desk" type holsters that intrigue me. I have no dogs. my kids are grown as are my grandkids, so child safety is not an issue. I am, however giving the under desk (nightstand) holster a lot of consideration. Just some thoughts.
Old March 6, 2012, 10:51 PM   #61
orthosophy

when I had a stroke I was not in my right mind. In fact, my brother came in because I was yelling something about a thief.

And that is why I would not sleep with a gun under my pillow. A shotgun under the bed is close enough for me to feel very comfortable.
Old March 6, 2012, 11:05 PM   #62
tepin

no. odds are the gun would end up on the floor, under the bed where i cant find it.
Old March 6, 2012, 11:35 PM   #63
greeniron

My dog is half insane half Lucifer, and she sleeps on the bed with us. If she hears a possum fart in the back yard she wakes me up, with that being said I have more than enough time to get my firearm from its location. And if by some snowball chance in he[[ they made it passed my property security system , and got in the house and made it up the purposly left noisey stairs then made it past my dog then I may have a problem as they would be a ghost that has no heat to pick up ,a device that lets them thru the doors or window as they are locked at all times, no weight to make it up the creeky stairs without noise, and invisible to the four legged , anti-Christ that looks like Jaws smiling on my bed. With that being said,,,,,,, I sleep well.
Old March 9, 2012, 09:05 PM   #64
TenRing

A gun under the pillow? Hell, no! For those who think this is a good idea, I'd like to know what their wives, husbands or partners think about it.

There was a case on TV about a woman who shot her husband while he slept and she claimed that the shooting was accidental because she kept her pistol under her pillow. The investigators saw through it and and she went down.

I keep mine concealed within arm's reach but far enough that I need to reach a bit to get it.

That reminds me of the time several years ago when I visited my aunt and uncle out east. Their house was small but they insisted that we stay with them and they offered their bed to me and my wife. As we went to turn down the covers, we found two pistols, one under each pillow. I reminded them to come and get their guns and they did. I often thought of how things might have turned out if my kids had ended up sleeping in that room and they found the guns. I get the creeps just thinking about that.

Since then I have not liked to spend nights at anybody's house. Hospitality is nice but I get hotels now and we visit during the day.
Old March 10, 2012, 11:05 AM   #65
Edward429451

I knew there was a reason I rub my Wifes feet. So she don't shoot me in my sleep!
Old March 11, 2012, 08:34 AM   #66
bikerbill

I've read all the negatives, but I often keep my 1911 under my pillow. I don't sleep-walk, always awake clear-headed and alert and don't have concerns the gun will somehow fire without my help ... I believe that keeping it there gives me an advantage if someone manages to get into my house without my hearing it or my dog going insane; it's like concealed carry for the house ... I've just recently started doing this after keeping on my nightstand for years.
Old March 11, 2012, 08:52 AM   #67
Skadoosh

Everyone who thinks it's safe to keep a loaded gun within inches of an otherwise unrestrained and unconscious person, you ought video yourself sleeping. You will likely reconsider.

Stupid idea.
Old March 11, 2012, 09:35 AM   #68
lincoln5

Anyone who is that paranoid is probably going to end up accidently shooting either themselves or an innocent family member that had to "get up" for whatever reason during the night. Hopefully, they live alone.
Old March 11, 2012, 09:45 AM   #69
glocktwotwo

Under the pillow.?....no freakin way....self induced head shot....no thanks
Old March 11, 2012, 09:59 AM   #70
IrishBluEyes51

i put my gun in my Wilson baseball glove and lay it on the floor next to the bed i reach down and its in my hand. cant see it from any position till your laying on the floor bleeding at the foot of my bed. i have beagles and you wont make it to the BR in any event.
Old March 11, 2012, 09:05 PM   #71
spaniel

I can't believe the number of people on here who think it's a great idea to keep a loaded, ready weapon so unsecured.

Do none of you have kids? Do you all live alone and never let anyone in your house?

No way I could leave a loaded weapon just lying around the house. Fingerprint recognition safe underneath the bed. By the time I'm awake enough to wield a firearm, I'd have the safe open. If a perp somehow made it past the locked doors, security system, and dog, and into my bedroom before I'm awake, at least my loaded gun is secured where it can't be used against me and my family.
Old March 14, 2012, 04:05 PM   #72
Skans

My wife already smacks the crap out of me if I wake her by snoring, if she knew I had a loaded pistol under my pillow......
Old March 14, 2012, 05:12 PM   #73
m&p45acp10+1

I do not keep a gun under my pillow. I toss and turn too much. Most mornings I wake up with my pillow on the floor anyway. I do have a holster mounted at the head of the bed with a gun in it. I can draw it out while laying in the bed, and someone would have to be straddling me to find it. The only things I keep on the night stand are my keys, my cell phone, and my alarm clock.
Old March 15, 2012, 06:21 AM   #74
Skadoosh

Quote:
My wife already smacks the crap out of me if I wake her by snoring, if she knew I had a loaded pistol under my pillow......
Now that's funny right there!
Old March 16, 2012, 09:10 PM   #75
FLA2760

No way.
Closed Thread