The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 17, 2012, 10:02 PM   #1
KyJim

New CCO

I picked up a Dan Wesson CCO a couple of days ago and took it for a short session at the range today. For those not familiar with them, they come in .45 acp and have an aluminum alloy frame that is officer length (one round less) and a forged slide that is commander sized (4.25 inches).

I have some other DWs and this pistol met every expectation I have for DWs. Crisp trigger, shoots where I point it, and nicely finished. I like the fact the butt is rounded or bobbed which will help shirts and similar covering garments from hanging on it.

I just put about 110 rounds through it, all FMJ. All went well until late in the session when I had one failure to feed. It was completely user induced. I slammed a mag home and caught the pad of my pinky finger with between mag and frame. When shooting, I noticed it was bleeding and changed my grip to keep from bleeding on my new gun. That caused the FTF.

All in all, I'm pleased so far. I'll put some more rounds through it, including hollow points, and then use it a regular carry gun.

The CCO with my other DW 1911s:

The DW with my other two CCO-sized pistols, a Baer in the middle and Sig at the bottom. I'll still carry the Baer but use the Sig as a backup.

Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old February 17, 2012, 10:16 PM   #2
Sbowling79

Nice collection
Old February 17, 2012, 10:18 PM   #3
KyJim

Thanks. Though not quite the "steal" they used to be, DWs are still good value for what you get.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old February 17, 2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Shadi Khalil

Jim,

Congrats. That's a very nice collection you have there and the new DW really sets it off. Your right about the prices going up but at least you can find them. I remember when they were tough to find, especially the 10mm. Let us know how SD ammo works out.
Old February 23, 2012, 03:18 PM   #5
57shooter

Nice gun! Congratulations on your new purchase and collection.
My son recently purchased a 5" Valor. It's a dream to shoot and the most accurate pistol I've ever shot. I'm on the lookout for a Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail (CBOB).
Old February 23, 2012, 03:32 PM   #6
loose_holster_dan

really want a dw. just got engaged. doubt i'll have the funds for one anytime soon.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old February 23, 2012, 09:16 PM   #7
xanth

Beauty

Picked up one a month ago and still haven't made it to the range...
Old February 23, 2012, 11:01 PM   #8
KyJim

If the weather doesn't turn out too lousy, I'm back to the range Friday or on the weekend. I plan on putting some more FMJ and then some defense ammo. If all goes well, I'll be carrying it in a couple of days.
Old February 24, 2012, 01:17 PM   #9
TacticalDefense1911

I owned a DW CCO for a little while; what a finely made gun it was for the money! I ended up selling it because the balance was just a little off for me with the alloy Officers frame and the Commander length barrel and I also prefer standard checkering on the front strap as opposed to the the chain pattern DW used on this gun. What a gorgeous gun though, and it ran like you would expect a hand fitted 1911 to run; like a scalded dog.
Old February 26, 2012, 10:50 PM   #10
Slateman

How does changing your grip.cause a failure to feed?
Old February 26, 2012, 10:58 PM   #11
SIKNIS

Real nice, did you happen to gaze upon the new ECO coming out in a couple or months or so?
Old February 26, 2012, 11:41 PM   #12
KyJim

Quote:
How does changing your grip.cause a failure to feed?
With aluminum framed 1911s (especially .45s) you need a good firm grip in order to provide sufficient resistance so the slide will go back into battery at full force. I didn't have one. It's often called "limp wristing" though mine wasn't true limp wristing. Steel framed 1911s have more mass and "limp wristing" isn't as much a problem. BTW, you can also have this in non-1911s.

I went back to the range today. I put another hundred rounds or so of FMJ through it today with no problems. I then put some Federal 230 gr. HSTs and Speer 230 gr. Gold Dots and they all fed well. I feel comfortable enough to start carrying it.
Old February 26, 2012, 11:50 PM   #13
lefteye

Awesome collection of superb DWs w/ a beautiful Baer and Sig.
Old February 27, 2012, 12:05 AM   #14
Venom1956

I remember when I was 18 and the Valor was like 900 dollars or something and I was like not in my life time... Just two weeks ago I paid almost twice that. I am still happy with it tho. What grips are on your stainless bobtail? I got a SS V-Bob by accident instead of the fullsized one and really liked how it felt before the sent it back... Might just give me an excuse for another one. (hopefully I'll beable to own a collection like that someday.)
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old February 27, 2012, 12:27 AM   #15
KyJim

Quote:
Awesome collection of superb DWs w/ a beautiful Baer and Sig.
Thanks!

Quote:
What grips are on your stainless bobtail?
Member Sarge43 made them -- www.thefinergrain.com. Somebody in another forum just decided to give them to me, and another set of Sarge's grips, and a set of stag grips. I am still dumbounded by his generosity and my good luck. The pics are not very good as the sun really played havoc with the camera: