The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 22, 2012, 09:09 AM   #1
SoilworK777

EAA Witness Steel

I'm wanting to purchase a new Witness in 9mm, and I don't like the look of the accessory rail or the wonder finish for that matter. Can anyone direct me to a place that still has the old blued/blackened version for sale? I would prefer to buy it in a store, and I live in the Atlanta GA area. If not, a website then? I've tried the usual. Thank you.

Tim S.
Old February 22, 2012, 09:12 PM   #2
thunter270

EAA Witness

Go to the EAA Corp - European American Armory Corporation website.
They have every make and model 9mm to view and chose from. You can get a Model #, so you can order it at any gun shop.

Hope this helps.
Old February 23, 2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Skans

I have an EAA Stock 10mm, which I like - has the wonder finish, but not the rail. But, for 9mm, why wouldn't you simply consider the CZ75 - comes standard in black and doesn't have the rail. I'm not bashing the Witness - but because the 9mm version is basically a copy of a CZ, why not look at the CZ or other CZ clones?
Old February 23, 2012, 09:02 AM   #4
SoilworK777

I have a 75B in 9mm that I purchased new last year. I'm going to trade it in toward something else.

To my eyes, the witness looks very well made. To be frank, I don't feel any pride of ownership with the CZ.

How has the WF held up?
Old February 23, 2012, 10:06 AM   #5
NJgunowner

If you don't like the cz, the witness isn't the way to go either.
Old February 23, 2012, 10:56 AM   #6
SoilworK777

^^^

Need more information.
Old February 23, 2012, 12:03 PM   #7
NJgunowner

The CZ is the better made firearm, period.

Why don't you like the CZ? Don't like the looks, what? You say "pride of ownership" as a reason to get rid of it? I'm not sure why a cheaper witness would make a difference there?

I'm not sure why pride has anything to do with it. The CZ is super accurate, feels good in the hands, and has a superb reliability record. EAA makes decent guns, but the CZ's are just better. The Witness line is a CZ CLONE, it just has some cosmetic differences and I don't believe they make as good a gun.
Old February 23, 2012, 12:33 PM   #8
loose_holster_dan

NJ is right. there is absolutely no reason to sell the 75b and turn around and buy the EAA unless you are trying to make a little cash.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old February 23, 2012, 01:43 PM   #9
SoilworK777

The pistol is somewhat a-symmetrical, which is probably due to the casting process. The barrel is off to one side in the frame when the action is closed. This may or may not be due to the spring putting tension on it. I don't know.

I do know that my $300 Sigma has better machining than my $479 75B. Why would I want to own something that doesn't "do it" for me?

Anyone have a lead on where to buy the Witness?

Last edited by SoilworK777; February 23, 2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old February 23, 2012, 02:14 PM   #10
Skans

Quote:
How has the WF held up?
Perfect - not even a glitch. I'm more accurate with my Stock 10mm than I am with my Glock 17 and a host of other 9mm guns I have. The trigger is the best I've felt in a da/sa to date. The gun is beautifully finished and a dream to shoot. 10mm is a little expensive to shoot, and I haven't decided to take the plunge and buy the equipment to reload for it. I just won't take up reloading again (used to reload for a Rem 22-250 years ago), until I am motivated to plop down the cash needed to get a Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Progressive Press with all of the bells and whistles to make it as quick and easy as possible to reload.

I really bought the EAA Stock for home protection to replace my Glock 17. But, it was too pretty for me to keep it the way I keep my Glock and it doesn't have night sights. It came with excellent quality sights that I don't want to replace either. I really enjoy breaking out the Stock when my friends and I get together to shoot bowling pins.

Quote:
To my eyes, the witness looks very well made. To be frank, I don't feel any pride of ownership with the CZ.
I know exactly what you mean. While I know that CZ makes a good firearm, fit and finish on them aren't as good as my Stock. The stainless CZs' do look pretty good though, but I've never held one of those - just seen pictures. Hennings sells some neat stuff for the Witness guns - you aught to check that out.

Last edited by Skans; February 23, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old February 23, 2012, 02:28 PM   #11
Skans

Quote:
The Witness line is a CZ CLONE,
So is a Sphinx AT2000.

The biggest problem I've had plopping down money for a CZ75 is its finish. The black CZ's are cheaply finished. I'm not saying that the coating flakes off or anything like that, but its still a coating which means that less effort has to go into polishing "finishing" the gun. The stainless CZ's are a different story, but they cost about as much as my Stock did, and my Stock comes with features that the CZ doesn't - 10mm, upgraded guide-rod/recoil spring; bull barrel; upgraded sights, fine checkering on the front of the grip frame, wood grips, durable wonder (hard chrome) finish.

For reference, here of some pictures of my Stock 10mm(not trying to sell anyone on it):

I wish someone had some good pics of the CZ75B internals.

Last edited by Skans; February 23, 2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old February 23, 2012, 03:25 PM   #12
SoilworK777

^^^

When I get home I'll see about taking some.
Old February 23, 2012, 03:38 PM   #13
chris in va

I have four CZ's, and was hoping to get a 45 with the same grip frame as my 9mm. Bought the Witness 45, tried to like it but soon discovered it is not as refined, having sharp edges and stiff operation.

Not saying CZ's are perfect, but I wasn't impressed with the one Witness I had.
Old February 23, 2012, 03:40 PM   #14
ScottRiqui

Quote:
The biggest problem I've had plopping down money for a CZ75 is its finish. The black CZ's are cheaply finished. I'm not saying that the coating flakes off or anything like that, but its still a coating which means that less effort has to go into polishing "finishing" the gun.
That's always bothered me about the black CZs as well, and I feel stupid and petty for letting it bug me. But to me, the rollmarks on the black CZ look like they're half-filled in with paint, and very "soft" and indistinct. It's just doesn't have the appearance of a quality finish.
Old February 23, 2012, 03:52 PM   #15
chris in va

It's not paint, but a durable ceramic coating that doesn't wear off like bluing. It's designed to be a police/military sidearm, not a pretty range gun.
Old February 23, 2012, 04:05 PM   #16
ltc444

I've been shooting an EAA witnes for a good ten years. I have found it to be reliable and durable.

I also have a TZ 75, made by the same manufacture, Purchased it in 1982. It was my duty weapon in AR. It never let me down.
Old February 23, 2012, 05:46 PM   #17
Skans

Quote:
It's not paint, but a durable ceramic coating that doesn't wear off like bluing. It's designed to be a police/military sidearm, not a pretty range gun.
I know this, and believe me, I'm not bashing the CZ. It's just a "taste" thing. I tend to like pretty range guns. When Colt first came out with the 1911, it had those that it produced for the commercial market and those that it produced from the military. Colt skimped on the finish on the ones that it made for the military - the commercially sold guns were better finished and the bluing held up better over time. When the military found this out, I understand that they weren't too thrilled with Colt. Functionally, there wasn't any difference - but I guess even the military brass liked pretty guns.
Old February 23, 2012, 05:58 PM   #18
Nitesites

Unless something has changed, the EAA Witness 9mm uses the same large frame as their 45 ACP and 10mm. And the same mags albeit, modified. In my singular experience, the 9mm I owned exhibited outstanding accuracy but was rather finicky about ammo. It chambered ball perfectly but choked on HP. I read up on some ways to improve it's reliability but chose to move away from the EAA instead.
Old February 23, 2012, 06:02 PM   #19
imsobored152

I love my witness 9mm. Bought the combo 9/22 fits the hand great, and the interchangable calibers is a +. I dont think the witness classics have the rail.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using tapatalk
Old February 23, 2012, 07:51 PM   #20
SoilworK777

Last edited by SoilworK777; February 23, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old February 23, 2012, 09:30 PM   #21
GreySmoke

Gunbroker has a few search "Witness 9mm"
Old February 24, 2012, 08:56 AM   #22
Skans

Soilwork - thank you for posting those pictures of the CZ. I'm actually quite surprised to see that the internals of my Stock (Witness) and the CZ are significantly different. It's definitely not a true CZ clone. Whats with that screw on the CZ (above the trigger)? It looks like its retaining two different springs. Anyway, thanks again - I can't stop flipping back and forth looking at the differences in the two designs.
Old February 24, 2012, 01:47 PM   #23
SoilworK777

No problem Skans. According to the dissasembly schematic I believe the parts you are asking about are the magazine catch spring screw, which retains both the magazine catch spring (naturally), and the trigger bar spring (the horse shoe shaped spring).
Old February 24, 2012, 06:02 PM   #24
chris in va

Now, what exactly did you find on your CZ that was off kilter? Looks normal to me.
Old February 27, 2012, 09:10 AM   #25
SoilworK777

The barrel is offcenter in the slide to the left. The beavertail is asymmetrical. Places where I'd prefer there was machining it appears the process was done by hand with a finishing wheel.