The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 23, 2012, 08:16 PM   #1
g20gunny

Glock 380 illegal...REALLY?

Never saw a 380 that I wanted untill I found the glock 25 and 28, Both banned for civilian use in USA. Anyone have a logical explaination for this?
Old February 23, 2012, 08:23 PM   #2
C0untZer0

Quote:
banned for civilian use in USA
No

Cannot be imported into the U.S. except by military and LEAs

If you as a "civilian" have a Glock 25 or 28, you aren't breaking the law.

I will post the BATFE import point system in my next post...
Old February 23, 2012, 08:27 PM   #3
C0untZer0

Here is the points system. If you add the points for the Glock 25 it doesn't have enough points:

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-5.pdf

G25:
Length: 3 points
Weight: 20 points
Caliber: 3 points
Safety features: 20 points
Miscellaneous equip:
Double Action: 10 points
Click adj target sight: 10 points
Target grips: 5 points
Target trigger: 2 points
Total: 73 points

Last edited by C0untZer0; February 23, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old February 23, 2012, 08:37 PM   #4
C0untZer0

If I were Glock I'd make the G25 in Gen 4 with the replaceable grip inserts/ backstraps but I'd make the backstraps out of pig iron, they'd be the heaviest backstraps in the world but it would increase the weight of the pistol enough so that it had enough points.

But that's just what I would do...
Old February 23, 2012, 08:44 PM   #5
Microgunner

Or I'd just make them in Smyrna, Ga.
Old February 23, 2012, 08:50 PM   #6
C0untZer0

^ I don't quite understand this but what I've heard in the past is they wouldn't sell enough of these to pay for waste disposal costs for the Tennifer process.

It's kind of hard for me to believe though, if you hang around the GlockTalk forum you'll see that there are a lot of Glock nuts that would buy these. I think some people are just so in love with Glocks they want Glock everything.

I'm surprised Glock hasn't capitalized on this.

If Glock sold mineral oil and called it "Glock Oil" they could sell it for $5.00 an once and thousands of Glock fanatics would buy the stuff. They could re-brand Felpro's copper anti-seize lubricant call it "Glock Grease" and they'd make a billion dollars. There would be Glock fans that would use nothing but Glock oil and Glock grease in their Glocks - I'm sure of it.

If Glock made power tools, I know there are people who would buy them for no other reason than so they could say they have a Glock drill, or Glock saw or Glock whatever...

If Glock made Glock mustache wax people would buy it even if they couldn't grow a mustache to save their lives.

They'd make money if they sold Glock toilet paper!

So I think the G25 and G28 would sell if they made it in Smyrna.

I'm thinking of getting citizenship in Brazil so I can buy the 25, 28 and a pair of IMBELs

Last edited by C0untZer0; February 23, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old February 23, 2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Cascade1911

^^^ never mind, after the edit, the whole spirit of the above post changed (I' think...)
Old February 23, 2012, 09:21 PM   #8
Herr Walther

Illinois is.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old February 23, 2012, 09:26 PM   #9
plouffedaddy

I literally just got home from a re-certification armorers course. So, here's what they said as it relates to this topic:

1. Glock only produces firearms in Smyrna and in Austria. Those facilities are 200,000 units behind and are using 100% of all manufacturing space. Then only space dedicated to 380s is in Austria and they aren't going to dedicate any space in GA until all orders are filled (this includes single stack 9mms, any carbines, ect....). They have maxed out production, no other guns will be produced for a while but they are doing R&D on several guns (just not planning on production).

2. Nitrating is what they do instead of tennifer here in the US. They say it has the same wear properties.
Old February 23, 2012, 09:29 PM   #10
Rinspeed

Why would you want a .380?
Old February 23, 2012, 09:33 PM   #11
David the Gnome

The reason they don't bother is that they are the exact same dimension as the Glock 26 and the Glock 19. They are no smaller than their 9mm counterparts so why bother jumping through all the hoops to bring them to America where we are actually allowed to have a 9mm? The only reason for the existence of those two models is for markets where they aren't allowed to have anything better than the .380.
Old February 23, 2012, 10:05 PM   #12
Deja vu

wow I all ways wondered why glock did not make a 380acp, i guess now I know

all 25 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple
Old February 23, 2012, 10:19 PM   #13
RamItOne

has to do the with the saturday night special restriction on imports. google is a powerful tool, way more powerful than a .380
Old February 23, 2012, 11:27 PM   #14
KyJim

Since they're only two points (two ounces) short, just imbed a two ounce hunk of metal in the frame somewhere. But, a Glock .380 is a solution waiting for a problem.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old February 23, 2012, 11:31 PM   #15
Herr Walther

Sorry, it doesn't meet the prerequisite of a manually operated safety. Add a pound and it still won't pass.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old February 23, 2012, 11:47 PM   #16
ScottRiqui

Quote:
Sorry, it doesn't meet the prerequisite of a manually operated safety. Add a pound and it still won't pass.
What would be different about the .380 that would make a manually-operated safety a requirement, considering none of the other guns that Glock imports to the US have them?
Old February 24, 2012, 12:12 AM   #17
mittymak

kinda read the first 2 then kinda skipped to the bottom cuz i was getting excited.. So military can import? Im active duty Marines.. Can I goto canada and then come back over to USA with one ? I have my CCW and My Military ID ??
Old February 24, 2012, 12:15 AM   #18
Herr Walther

I haven't figured that out yet, unless it is because of a combination of factors such as the unlocked breech. I know the manual safety is an issue, but I think in combination with other limiting factors that the other Glocks surpass.

I wish I could get a straight answer but no one from the BATF has ever answered my e-mail. I really don't think anyone there knows themselves.

IMO only, the lack of a manually operated safety combined with the caliber and unlocked breech plays the biggest part.
Old February 24, 2012, 12:21 AM   #19
ScottRiqui

Quote:
kinda read the first 2 then kinda skipped to the bottom cuz i was getting excited.. So military can import? Im active duty Marines.. Can I goto canada and then come back over to USA with one ? I have my CCW and My Military ID ??
No, sorry. What that means is that if the Department of Defense decided for some reason to outfit some of its forces with the .380 Glock, they could import it for that reason. Individuals like us that are active duty military members get no special allowances in that area.
Old February 24, 2012, 12:24 AM   #20
Will Beararms

Did somebody say they make Glock Oil and Glock power tools? Kewl...
Old February 24, 2012, 06:57 AM   #21
Mike Irwin
Staff

Never understood why .25 ACP is 0 points, but .22 LR is 3 points. Doesn't make any sense.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 24, 2012, 08:05 AM   #22
C0untZer0

Quote:
Why would you want a .380?
I don't know...

I just yearn for a long-barreled 380 AUTO.
Old February 24, 2012, 11:11 AM   #23
voyager4520

There is one legal way for a civilian to own one in the US. A soldier deployed overseas can buy one and bring it back to the US if they fill out the proper paperwork.

Aftermarket companies could also make slides, barrels, and magazines to convert a 9/40/357/45GAP frame into 380. But seeing that 9mm fits in the same size gun, there's not much point to doing that.

Glock does make some pistols entirely in Smyrna, GA but as of yet they don't plan to sell them here in the US, right now they're only for export to countries that don't have trade agreements with Austria. If a .380 Glock were made entirely in the US it could be sold here without the need to jump through the ATF's import hoops.
Old February 24, 2012, 12:33 PM   #24
Mike Irwin
Staff

Everyone can just leave the concept of Glock toilet paper, and everything it could entail, alone, please.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 24, 2012, 01:26 PM   #25
carguychris

Quote:
What would be different about the .380 that would make a manually-operated safety a requirement, considering none of the other guns that Glock imports to the US have them?
Look at the import points chart in C0untZer0's second post- a gunmaker gets 7 more points for "9mm parabellum and over". A manual safety would help to offset this.
Quote:
Never understood why .25 ACP is 0 points, but .22 LR is 3 points. Doesn't make any sense.
Makes sense if the real impetus behind the points system is to ban the cheap Italian, German, and Spanish pocket automatics marketed in the USA in the 50s and 60s. These guns were more commonly .25ACP than .22LR.

Of course, the ban had the unintended consequence of fostering a domestic industry that builds equally cheap pocket automatics, but I digress.
Quote:
Can I goto canada and then come back over to USA with one ?
I don't believe that these pistols are even sold in Canada.

Canadian gun regulations strongly favor full-size handguns. Pistols with barrel lengths under 105mm (4.14") are "Prohibited" firearms that can't be legally possessed unless (a) the gun is a grandfathered pre-existing import and (b) the owner has a similar handgun already. (IOW "Prohibited" firearms aren't in fact totally prohibited, but I digress again. )

Glock's website lists the barrel length of the G25 as 102mm and the G28 as 88mm, so they're both under the 105mm limit. Unless Glock produces a special 105mm Canadian version (don't think so) or the gun was produced early enough to be grandfathered (don't think so either) you are SOL. Besides, I don't think the RCMP routinely allows non-citizens to purchase Restricted or Prohibited firearms anyway. (All handguns in Canada are Restricted or Prohibited; buying a Restricted handgun requires a legal process similar to obtaining a CHL in a "may-issue" state such as MA, but I'm almost positive that permission is normally off-limits to non-citizens.)