The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 23, 2012, 11:54 AM   #1
BRJACKET

Sig P229 vs. H&K P30 vs. Beretta PX4 Storm

I know this will have a lot of personal preference involved but I wanted to get opinions on these guns. Currently I own the Beretta PX4 Storm. It is a great gun and I have really been enjoying it. Recently, I got intrigued with the idea of the Sig P226 navy (either old or MK25). I say idea because I haven't seen one yet. My local gun store is out of stock. I did hold other versions of the P226 and liked them a lot.

Then I saw the P229. It felt great in my hand. And of course beside that was the H&K P30 which also felt great in my hand. I really liked both guns. They are similar in size to my PX4. Unfortunately, neither of these guns are available for me to rent and shoot at my local range. I have heard the P30 is great about recoil. I think I liked the sights better on the P30 (but I might want TRUGLO sights for easier aquisition regardless). I'm not sure I like the lever on the P30 vs. the P229.

How would these guns compare to my PX4 (handling, accuracy, maintenance, trigger, etc.). And which would you get if you were going to get one (again this will have a lot of personal preference involved).

Thanks. I look forward to your input.
Old February 23, 2012, 12:06 PM   #2
BarryLee

Well, I have a P229, so that is obviously what I would get. The P229 is easy to carry and a blast to shoot while also very easy to maintain. The model I have came equipped with the SIG SRT or short reset trigger which feels very good to me and makes this one of my favorite shooters. As matter of fact I went to the range two days ago and put 150 rounds through the gun with zero issues.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 23, 2012, 02:12 PM   #3
Lefty319

+ 1 for the 229. Ihave a 229 SAS, nice pistols!
Old February 23, 2012, 06:25 PM   #4
sigarms228

Those are all great pistols.

I have a P229 .40 and love it and it really tames that .40 round. The P229 is also extremely accurate. However it is noticeably heaver that a poly frame pistol if that is a consideration.

Myself I prefer that DA/SA trigger of my P229 over the P30. I have not tried a PX4 yet.

There MUST be a P226 at your local range?? If so try that. if you like the P226 you should like the P229 also.
Old February 23, 2012, 11:38 PM   #5
BRJACKET

Still trying to decide

Thanks for the responses. The P30 I am looking at I believe is version 3 which is Da / Sa so trigger action should be similar . My standard range does not have either gun or the P226 for rent right now but one of the guys working there has a P229 and may let me try it out. I am going to look at some other ranges to see if I can find a P30 to fire.

The P30 is more expensive. If anyone has this one and can weigh in I'd like to hear. I also will have some remorse about giving up my PX4. Still I am really leaning toward getting one of these 2.
Old February 23, 2012, 11:59 PM   #6
Sgt Pepper

The reality is that none of these three guns are collectibles. So, if you are itching to make a move, make the move. If you decide afterwards that you made the wrong move, you can always get another PX4, and it will be identical, or nearly identical, to the one you owned before. There really is no reason to fight the itch.

My Sig P229 has the best DA/SA trigger of any such type pistol that I have owned or shot, period. My dad, who has never been a fan of handguns, LOVES my P229. It just really is accurate as all hell.

That being said, I am a big Beretta fan. They are elegant, sexy, smooth, and work. I have had little experience with the PX4, but the 92 is one of my all time favorites.

That also being said, I am a big Hk fan, too. These are weapons truly designed to endure the worst. They are not bullseye toys, but weapons of war. I have not had the pleasure of a P30 yet, but by all accounts the ergos are fantastic.

My point is do not hesitate to trade out, even if you are losing some money. I spent years serially moving from one pistol to the next until I could afford to collect more than one, and I never truly regretted it. When it comes to combat pistols, they are all interchangeable from one to another.
Old February 24, 2012, 12:09 AM   #7
IMightBeWrong

SIG has the better trigger, HK has the better weight. The PX4 is a PX4. It's got a rotating barrel design that still hasn't quite proven itself and a funky safety lever that I'm not fond of, plus it's just not really in the same league as SIG or HK in general in my opinion.

If it were me, I'd go with the SIG only if it were made in Germany and the HK if the SIG were made in NH.
Old February 24, 2012, 01:17 AM   #8
Gats Italian

Your handle couldn't be more apt on this one.
Old February 24, 2012, 01:59 AM   #9
IMightBeWrong

What aspect of my post are you referring to?
Old February 24, 2012, 02:14 AM   #10
MLeake

Having owned a P229, and owning a PX4, I'd personally opt for the PX4. I prefer its ergos.

I haven't shot the P30, and can't compare.
Old February 24, 2012, 11:14 AM   #11
BRJACKET

Thanks for all the input. St. Pepper makes a good point. I can always get another PX4 if I really want it back. It was my first gun and I have some sentimental attachments to it. Of all these guns the P30 feels the best in my hand. I am still going to try to find a way to shoot them (if at all possible). I really want to compare the trigger action on the 2. I have heard great things about the P229 trigger.

As far as the specific 2 I am looking at right now, the P229 is made in New Hampshire.
Old February 24, 2012, 12:32 PM   #12
HKGuns

The HK P30 is the best combat pistol currently produced. The ergonomics are fantastic and they shoot like a laser beam. Get it in the configuration you prefer and you'll have an excellent, reliable pistol.
Old February 24, 2012, 01:07 PM   #13
IMightBeWrong

HKGuns could very well be right on that one. The P30 is amazing. I would agree to calling it ONE of the best pistols on the market.
Old February 24, 2012, 01:22 PM   #14
marappl

I am also looking at both the P229 & P30. Why does it matter if the P229 is made in NH versus Germany? Also, How does the SRT trigger differ from the P30 LEM trigger?
Old February 24, 2012, 01:35 PM   #15
loose_holster_dan

the srt and lem triggers are WORLDS apart. the lem is a long dao. the srt is a short crisp da/sa. sig's dak trigger is as close as you will come to hk's lem trigger.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."

Last edited by loose_holster_dan; February 24, 2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old February 24, 2012, 01:49 PM   #16
IMightBeWrong

The SIGs in Germany have a different construction. They use a stamped carbon steel slide that's a little thinner in profile and about 2 ounces lighter but also seems to recoil more smoothly in my experience. The fit and finish is also a bit higher quality on W. German models. The finish can really take a beating on a German made model compared to a US model. Plus over the last few years SIG in NH has seen an increase in issues with Quality Control, and after trying to cut down to only one magazine per pistol purchased new while simultaneously increasing their MSRP a few years ago I've got a bit of a bad taste left in my mouth as well.

One of the things I really admire about the German production is that their philosophy seems to be that it's better to have a small line of options built to the highest possible standards than have hundreds of different offerings from one line of pistols with less attention paid to overall quality. You won't find the special editions we have here in the US coming from the W. German facilities, but you will get a fantastic pistol with the best quality you've ever seen out of the box.

HK is very consistent on the other hand. What we get here from HK is the same as what sees holster time over in Germany. There's no jumping through hoops trying to find one manufactured to the specifications you prefer when you buy an HK, and I really admire that about them.
Old February 24, 2012, 04:56 PM   #17
presspics

If you want the best gun for when the SHTF then get the HK. They make the finest weapons in the world.

The P229 would be a close 2nd if you get an older model. If it is a brand new all USA made gun then I would opt for the Beretta as the 2nd place gun.
Old February 24, 2012, 05:09 PM   #18
Rj1972

I really like both guns (the P229 & the HK P30). I haven't shot the PX4.
Originally I compared the two as semi-finalists in the great shoot off (my original gun buying plan).

While the ergonomics were better on the P30, it seemed to recoil more FOR ME and I could get the P229 on target much easier during double taps (again, for me...). Problem is, I have small (some might say princess) hands and the P30 is better suited to that. I ended up getting a P229, but later regretted it. NOW I have a P226 with the enhanced ergonomic grips.

IF you decide on the P229, you might consider going a slightly different route.
I bought my P226 in 22LR (P226 classic 22LR) which is a 22 slide/barrel with the regular frame. It was about $500. Then a few weeks later I bought the 9mm conversion barrel/slide/magazine for it for about $300. So for NEAR the price of a new gun I now have the 22 & 9mm & can easily convert one to the other in about 30 seconds.
Old February 24, 2012, 05:25 PM   #19
tdawg

I've got a friend on the force and his primary is the P30. He loves it and wouldn't trade it for anything. Hopefully I get to try it when we go to the range next week. I'll be bringing my brand new Px4. Can't wait until my 7 day waiting period is up and I get to take ownership!
Old February 24, 2012, 05:32 PM   #20
Gats Italian

Quote:
Pretty much all of it. You name it.

Quote:
"SIG has the better trigger."
Nearly everything on the market is doing a better trigger than appears on a poly HK. The Beretta and the SIG triggers are objectively better than the HK.

Quote:
"HK has the better weight."
Both the Beretta and the HK weigh a lot less than the SIG.

Quote:
"The PX4 is a PX4. It's got a rotating barrel design that still hasn't quite proven itself. . . ."
The same rotating barrel system in the PX4 started development in the 8000 Cougar series debuted in 1994. The system has been reliable from the get go and has an eighteen year track record behind it.

Quote:
". . .and a funky safety lever that I'm not fond of. . ."
Three of the four PX4 variants don't use a safety. Two of the four don't even have the lever.

Quote:
". . .plus it's just not really in the same league as SIG or HK in general in my opinion."
This opinion is baseless, especially since you don't even bother to support it. I'd certainly rate an Italian made PX4 as better than a Cohen era domestic SIG, and certainly not giving up $300 in objective quality versus a HK P30.
Old February 24, 2012, 06:02 PM   #21
Sgt Pepper

Just a clarification on the Sig P229. All Sig P229s, West German or American assembled, have milled stainless steel slides. The dimensionally similar P228 model has the folded metal slide but only comes in 9mm. When Sig wanted to introduce .40 S&W in the "compact" P228 size, they introduced it in the P229 with the milled stainless slide for all calibers 9mm, .40, and .357 Sig. I personally have not noticed much difference in shooting a P228 or 9mm P229.
Old February 24, 2012, 06:14 PM   #22
Coltman 77

Quote:
Quote:
Pretty much all of it. You name it.

Quote:
"SIG has the better trigger."
Nearly everything on the market is doing a better trigger than appears on a poly HK. The Beretta and the SIG triggers are objectively better than the HK.

Quote:
"HK has the better weight."
Both the Beretta and the HK weigh a lot less than the SIG.

Quote:
"The PX4 is a PX4. It's got a rotating barrel design that still hasn't quite proven itself. . . ."
The same rotating barrel system in the PX4 started development in the 8000 Cougar series debuted in 1994. The system has been reliable from the get go and has an eighteen year track record behind it.

Quote:
". . .and a funky safety lever that I'm not fond of. . ."
Three of the four PX4 variants don't use a safety. Two of the four don't even have the lever.

Quote:
". . .plus it's just not really in the same league as SIG or HK in general in my opinion."
This opinion is baseless, especially since you don't even bother to support it. I'd certainly rate an Italian made PX4 as better than a Cohen era domestic SIG, and certainly not giving up $300 in objective quality versus a HK P30.

If you want an accurate, uber reliable handgun with zero problems and great CS --HK is the pistol for you.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old February 24, 2012, 06:53 PM   #23
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gats Italian View Post
I'd certainly rate an Italian made PX4 as better than a Cohen era domestic SIG, and certainly not giving up $300 in objective quality versus a HK P30.
+1! I'd certainly take my 3,000+ round flawless PX4, perfect filthy or clean, lubed or dry (I guess according to Coltman77 that's a failure) over a current Exeter Sig.

I do think HK makes incredible weapons, but ~465-500 vs. $750-1,000, you certainly pay for it.
Old February 24, 2012, 06:58 PM   #24
TXAZ

Another +1 P229

I was lucky in that our LGS had all 3 to try before you buy. For me, it was the P229 hands down. YMMV, but it's a very well built and balanced gun.
Old February 24, 2012, 11:50 PM   #25
Gats Italian

Quote:
Let's skip both the failures of Beretta (PX4). . . .
Oh do tell or even link what it is that you know about the "failures" of the PX4. This ought to be a whopper.