The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 21, 2012, 10:32 PM   #1
Newton24b

bullet selection

heres my question, it deals with multiple cases using one bulletdiameter.

ive seen articles that stated that ammunition shortages for the first year of introduction for the 327 federal was due to "most existing .312 diameter hollow and soft points not being able to survive" hitting a target at .327 federal energy/velocity.

the same goes for short barrel versus long barrel gold dots.

now id like to know just how you can actually be certain you get the right bullet, when the same bullet comes up in both say, 44 special and 44 magnum component lists WITH SAME CATALOG number?
Old February 21, 2012, 10:50 PM   #2
dacaur

That doesnt make much sense to me.... How many bullets survive hitting a target? None of mine do 327 federal isnt all that fast... Unles perhaps we are talking just straight lead bullets... got any links to those articles?
Old February 21, 2012, 11:53 PM   #3
Newton24b

it was in one of the online gun mags i googled up, the thing is the jacketed bullets had issues because most stock bullets, just exploded on contact like those frangible ammo and just didnt do much in target material.
Old February 23, 2012, 07:37 PM   #4
89blazin

I load .44 Spl and .44 Rem Mag using the same 240gr Hornady XTP bullet. I guess I don't understand what you're asking...
Old February 23, 2012, 11:07 PM   #5
Jimro

Handgun bullets for defensive use are usually designed around a pretty narrow velocity range to provide both deformation and penetration. Shoot them faster than that range and they deform more than penetrate, shoot them slower than that range and they penetrate without deforming.

In 45 ACP going from a GI 5" 1911 to a 3" compact can cause off the shelf premium self defense ammo to go from acceptable mushrooming of hollowpoints to zero deformation. Same bullets, same lot of ammunition. It may not seem like too much of a difference between 3" and 5", but that is a 40% difference (or 66% if you measure the other way).

So it wouldn't surprise me if other 32 caliber bullets were designed to deform at a velocity range below that of the new magnum.

As far as 44 Special verses 44 Magnum, even if the 44 mag pushed the bullet fast enough to break apart on impact, that is still anywhere from 200 to 300 grains of lead/copper or both hitting in an area less than a half inch around. More mass, more penetration, bitter hole than 32 no matter how you measure it. Remember that the 44 Mag was meant to give the performance of an Elmer Keith hot loaded 44 Special, but in brass that wouldn't fit in older, weaker revolvers.

Jimro

http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/