The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 20, 2012, 06:41 PM   #1
ScottRiqui

Ruger Mark III "Hunter" 22/45 Review

Just bought a 22/45 at the gun show yesterday, and after field stripping it a few times and cleaning/oiling it, I wanted to take it to the range today for a little break-in love. It's the "Hunter" model with the long fluted barrel. Here's a stock photo; mine looks just like it:

I put about 500 rounds total through it, starting off with 150 CCI Mini-Mags. My thinking was that if the internals were new and a little stiff, that it would be best to use the higher-velocity rounds to start off with. I also initially loaded each magazine with only five rounds. I've had problems in the past where a brand-new .22 won't reliably strip the first round from a magazine that's loaded all the way up.

I needn't have worried.

After those first two mags, every other magazine got all ten rounds stuffed into it, and I never had a single failure to feed. Never had a single failure to eject, either. In fact, the only problem during the entire session was one round of Federal Automatch that didn't light off on the first strike. I set it aside and ran it through the next magazine and it fired fine.

Grand totals were about 150 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag, 50 rounds of Remington Golden Bullet, and about 300 rounds of Federal Automatch. I loved the reliability most of all - we had to shoot my wife's P22 *much* longer before it would start accepting bulk ammo without complaining, and I usually just shoot Mini-mags through the P22 anyway so I don't have to worry whether or not this will be one of the days it will "behave".

Back to the Ruger. I swapped back and forth between the red and green fiber optic light pipes on the front sight, but settled on the green fairly quickly - it's just so much brighter than the red. The rear sides were easy to adjust with a screwdriver, and the adjusting screws have nice detents in them. There's nothing in the manual that gives you an idea of how much of a difference one "click" on the adjusters moves the point of impact, so I just had to play around a bit until the bullets were landing where they should.

I'm not going to go into detail on the accuracy, since I was certainly the limiting factor, but at 50 feet I was keeping ten-round groups inside a three-inch circle by resting the butt of the pistol on the bench while aiming. With a proper sandbag rest (and possibly some better lighting at the range), the Ruger is capable of better, I'm sure.

That's pretty much it. Nothing too exciting, except that I'm strangely excited by the fact that a brand-new gun (and a .22 no less!) would be so boringly reliable with a variety of ammo. I haven't had an experience like this in a while, and wanted to share.
Old February 20, 2012, 06:51 PM   #2
AndyWest

Nice write-up. When I had a Ruger I also settled on the green sight.

I'm going to duck behind the bar after saying this but I actually think the black-on-stainless looks better than the cocobolo grips.
Old February 20, 2012, 07:23 PM   #3
ScottRiqui

I like the black-on-stainless as well, but I would have preferred removable grip panels just to have the choice of changing them out later.

An update after cleaning it up just now - when I field-stripped it several times last night, I had to use a plastic mallet to get the bolt stop pin out, as well as to separate the barrel/receiver from the frame. After 500 rounds, I could do both operations by hand. I'm still hoping it gets a *little* easier, but I'm glad that I can strip/clean it without tools, at least.