The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 19, 2012, 08:36 AM   #1
243winxb

Bullseye Pistol Scoring System

Competition between small groups can be a great teacher. But with a wide range of abilities, master to markmen, its not always possible. This Handicap system has worked for many year, allowing all shooter to compete, head to head. Great for small clubs weekly shoots.
Old February 19, 2012, 02:35 PM   #2
FlyFish

Maybe I don't understand what you're saying, but why would scores over 300 lose? Let's say a shooter has a 270 average, so he gets +20 points as his handicap. He has a good night and shoots a 281, which is easily possible for someone with a 270 average, and ends up with a 301. Are you saying he loses?
Old February 19, 2012, 05:10 PM   #3
springer99

If 300 is the max. score, wouldn't any ties then just be settled on X-count?
Old February 19, 2012, 11:46 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

If you dramatically outperform your handicap it's generally presumed that you have been "sandbagging" which is a form of cheating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbagging
Old February 20, 2012, 04:04 PM   #5
FlyFish

Quote:
If you dramatically outperform your handicap it's generally presumed that you have been "sandbagging" which is a form of cheating.
Yes, I understand that of course. But if the handicap is based on the four previous high scores someone would have to intentionally shoot poorly for at least four matches to set up the high handicap, then start shooting well to "cash in" (which would then lower their handicap because the higher scores would substitute for some of the sandbagging low scores). Doesn't seem to make sense. And, in the example I provided, someone with an honest 270 average would be penalized for shooting a 281, which is something that happens every day in every Bullseye league I've ever been involved with.
Old February 20, 2012, 11:11 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...someone with an honest 270 average...
The average comes from the average of the shooter's four HIGHEST scores, not his overall average score.
Quote:
...someone would have to intentionally shoot poorly for at least four matches to set up the high handicap, then start shooting well to "cash in" (which would then lower their handicap because the higher scores would substitute for some of the sandbagging low scores).
People do that kind of thing. Yes, it only works for a little while.
Old February 23, 2012, 03:58 PM   #7
zippy13

When you have a system that gives participants a handicap based on past performance, sandbagging can be a problem. I knew a guy who's scores depended on how much money was in the purse. During the routine local shoots, he'd shot low scores; but, at significant matches, his scores would miraculously improve.
Old February 23, 2012, 05:37 PM   #8
springer99

Yep, sandbagging does happen on occasion, but if your club doesn't have a good number of shooters who compete where you can separate shooters into different classes for awards etc. , having a handicap system as 243 outlined, is the only way to get people to "jump into the water". When matches are scored only on a raw points basis, it's tough to get new comers into the sport.
Old February 24, 2012, 02:03 PM   #9
243winxb

Quote:
Maybe I don't understand what you're saying, but why would scores over 300 lose? Let's say a shooter has a 270 average, so he gets +20 points as his handicap. He has a good night and shoots a 281, which is easily possible for someone with a 270 average, and ends up with a 301. Are you saying he loses?
Yes, a lose. This does not happen very often. If it does, its a new shooter that has picked there first H'C, making it to high. After they get there 4 highest scores for an average, its not likely to happen. The shooter that improves each month has a slight advantage over a constant shooter. A high master is still top dog, but can be beaten. Example > The * = a WIN. From many years ago.

Last edited by 243winxb; February 24, 2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: The * show a WIN
Old February 24, 2012, 02:16 PM   #10
243winxb

Bullseye Pistol Rules.

Quote:
If 300 is the max. score, wouldn't any ties then just be settled on X-count?
The NRA Bullseye rule book is used to break ties or if shooters agree a flip of the coin. The range office can compete if the timed & rapid commands are recorded/played.
Old March 10, 2012, 10:30 AM   #11
243winxb

Anyone try it?
Old March 10, 2012, 11:15 AM   #12
JASmith

Bullseye Shooting -- Still Alive?

We had a small group but it went truly informal about 15 years ago, and then seemed to go away about 8 years ago.

I am interested in getting it going again, but finding enough people who are interested in leadership roles is proving difficult.

Are there any groups, particularly in the San Franciso Bay Area, that are active?

Is there someone I could contact and discuss how to get and sustain a group?
Old April 7, 2015, 03:43 PM   #13
alexsmom

Could someone tell me if this could be used for a 600 scoring match. Would I just double the numbers? Or score it as 2 separate 300 matches? We need a simple system for a women's beginning league that shoots 2 Slow Fire, 2 Timed and 2 Rapid. Please help! I have the NRA handicap tables but they are only for 300 matches also. Apologize if this is astupid question but we are just beginning.
Carol
Old April 7, 2015, 07:51 PM   #14
JASmith

Your dilemma is easily understood when recognizing that a fair, equitable, and predictable scoring system is desired for allowing shooters of disparate skills to compete on a more equal standing. In my view, a handicap system tends to encourage newer shooters to improve by rewarding their progress in a public and easily understood way.

Arguments are diminshed when the rules of competition are published and in possession of all participants. Potential for disputes are further reduced when the rules are exactly as a governing body like the NRA has published.

With that caveat, a simple doubling of the numbers in the chart would likely work well. The real question becomes "Which will be more complicated to manage, running the course as two 300 matches, or running the course as a 600 with the table values doubled with the understanding that you might have troubles comparing your results with those of other groups?"
Old April 7, 2015, 08:15 PM   #15
alexsmom

Thanks for the quick reply. We aren't comparing scores with any other league. Just trying to keep a wide range of new shooters interested. I would have liked to use the NRA tables but that seems too complicated for a 600 league. Unless you have a better idea I think we will try doubling the numbers.
Carol