The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 18, 2012, 12:00 PM   #1
GregInAtl

Overbelling

I have several cases that were over-belled. Will re-sizing them remove the bell and let me bell them again or are they toast?
Old February 18, 2012, 12:14 PM   #2
primerman

Well, i'm certainly glade this never happened to me. It did happen to someone I know and he told me that if you can get the case mouth to go back into the resizing die you can salvage the case. However, a few would not go back into the resizing die so he just scraped all of them.
Old February 18, 2012, 12:18 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

Try running them through the seating die. Most have a light taper to allow for the flared case mouth to enter, and squeeze it down as it goes into the die. Then resize it. Trying to run it through the resizing die first will probably crack more than a few.
Old February 18, 2012, 09:45 PM   #4
Zach W.

^^^ This.
Old February 19, 2012, 12:51 AM   #5
Scimmia

I'll admit to having overbelled while setting up dies.

Running them through the sizing die has always taken them back to normal for me. I've never done it enough to make them crack, though.
Old February 19, 2012, 05:15 AM   #6
mumbo719

Quote:
m&p45acp10+1: Try running them through the seating die. Most have a light taper to allow for the flared case mouth to enter, and squeeze it down as it goes into the die. Then resize it. Trying to run it through the resizing die first will probably crack more than a few.
^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^^^
Old February 19, 2012, 07:59 AM   #7
Uncle Buck

Being a brass who... being a guy who hates to give up brass, I took a small pair of needle nose pliers and straightened the case walls a little, then ran it through the resizing die.

I never thought about doing it the way M&P45 said... Might have saved a lot of time.
Old February 19, 2012, 08:55 AM   #8
dickttx

m&p45acp10+1, good idea.
Tips like that is the reason we have forums. No new tools, no gadgets, just a change in procedure to do a simple task more efficiently.
Old February 19, 2012, 11:10 AM   #9
m&p45acp10+1

When starting with lead I way over flared a few .45 acp cases. I slowly ran them through the seating die almost all the way to the top of the stroke, I then adjusted the flaring die,and reflared them. I admit I did split a couple of them. Though I did try the sizing die, and slpit almost every other one I tried that way.