The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 6, 2012, 09:47 AM   #51
TX Hunter

Well I saw it again, my Son wanted to shoot a Hog so I took him Sunday evening. A big Boar came out and my Son Shot him in the Shoulder at 142 yards (measured with a Bushnell Backtrack) My Sons Rifle is a Savage 110 30 06 his load was Remington Coreloct 180 grain. He hit the Hog , in the shoulder and dust flew from the Hog, and once again no blood trail. I dont understand it because we have had that gun over 20 years and killed several deer and hogs with it and alwayse got a blood trail with it. I saw the impact and know he hit the hog in the shoulder, his 30 06 should have blown chunks at that short distance but it didnt. I wonder if the material in the bullet has changed.
Old March 6, 2012, 10:08 AM   #52
thallub

Quote:
in the shoulder and dust flew from the Hog, and once again no blood trail.
Do not shoot big hogs in the shoulder: Shoot them low just behind the shoulder-heart shot. Hogs usually leave a skimpy blood trail at best.
Old March 6, 2012, 12:56 PM   #53
rickyrick

As I just posted in the other thread, they can scrunch down real low and become almost invisible maybe it hid real close.
Old March 6, 2012, 01:32 PM   #54
Doyle

Tallub is right. You are hitting them in the wrong place. Between the thick shield of a boar and the shoulder blades, your bullet is more likely to stick than to pass through. Go for the spot behind the shoulder and you'll get a cleaner kill AND a pass-through.