The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 15, 2012, 08:49 AM   #26
djcantr

Thank you all for your input. I think I better go with a heavier and small caliber pistol for her training. I was wanting to keep it pretty cheap. Might go with a little .22 like a Buckmark or something along those lines. I'm first going to get some snap caps to try as she agreed it might help calm her nerves if she can practice firing it with some snap caps. Could one also just make a dummy round with a spent primer and it work as well as snap caps?
Old February 15, 2012, 09:12 AM   #27
Pilot

The other option is to reload .380 ACP. I have a Beretta M85FS which I think is one of the best .380's made. With factory ammo it is a little snappy, but still no big deal in the recoil department. However, I download .380's for practice, and because my wife HATES felt recoil. It makes them feel like .22's which is the only other caliber she will shoot.
Old February 15, 2012, 09:49 AM   #28
carguychris

Quote:
Buy the 32. cal Cheetah, then pay for the stamp and have a suppressor made for it.... Here is a link to a Model 82 on GB...
While this is a fun idea in theory, IMHO the surplus Beretta 81/82s currently on GB are too pricey for 40-60% finish, and 81/82 mags are rare on this side of the Atlantic because Beretta only sold these pistols here for about 10 minutes. I've seen 81/82 mags sell for $50 used and $80 new on GB. 84/85/86 mags go for 1/3 this much.
Quote:
...do you have any experience with that Beretta 86?
I really, really like the Beretta 80-series Cheetahs. They are just as well-built and durable as the 92 and shoot like match pistols. That said, IMHO they DO have fairly snappy recoil, and are probably not what the OP needs.
Quote:
...it might help calm her nerves if she can practice firing it with some snap caps. Could one also just make a dummy round with a spent primer and it work as well as snap caps?
Empty cases with blown primers are no substitute for proper snap caps. After about 3-4 trigger pulls, the primer will be crushed to the point that the firing pin won't contact it, and it will do nothing.

FWIW you can use commonplace plastic drywall anchors as .22LR snap caps.
Old February 15, 2012, 11:39 PM   #29
C0untZer0

Rodfac - i don't have any experience with the Beretta 86, I've never been able to find one anywhere in my area.

I started researching them and more and more thought they were the neatest 380s out there.

Another benefit is that they have a tilting barrel so if someone has problems working the action on a semi, they can just tip this barrel up to do the initial load. So that's nice.

I decided I am going to buy a Beretta 86, but it's way down on the list of other stuff I am going to buy.

To djcantr, another thing that you might consider is getting her a 9mm but loading it with a lighter load like the Federal Gaurd Dog 105gr EFMJ. The round is light recoiling but it reliably cycles the action of a Glock 19 (for instance), it's really like a 380 ACP shot through a 9mm.

Of course the downside is that the bullet pretty much performs like a 380 Auto - penetrating around 10" of ballistic gel.

But anyway, it's an option.
Old February 15, 2012, 11:53 PM   #30
C0untZer0

If this is just about you and her spending time at the range together, there are a lot of other options.

A S&W 586 or 686 with standard 38 special loads is a very pleasant gun to shoot.

I have a Glock 17L and the thing hardly recoils, I can't imagine how soft-shooting it would be with something like Federal Gaurd Dogs - but then again those Federal EFMJs are pretty expensive to buy just to get a soft shooting practice cartridge.

It seems to me that a better option would be to get her some kind of 357 or 38+P DA/SA revolver and let her shoot by cocking the hammer and working the trigger single action
Old February 17, 2012, 07:13 PM   #31
djcantr

Quote:
If this is just about you and her spending time at the range together, there are a lot of other options.

A S&W 586 or 686 with standard 38 special loads is a very pleasant gun to shoot.

I have a Glock 17L and the thing hardly recoils, I can't imagine how soft-shooting it would be with something like Federal Gaurd Dogs - but then again those Federal EFMJs are pretty expensive to buy just to get a soft shooting practice cartridge.

It seems to me that a better option would be to get her some kind of 357 or 38+P DA/SA revolver and let her shoot by cocking the hammer and working the trigger single action
I'm leaning towards doing just that. I'm lusting for a S&W Model 27 now. A full-sized revolver shooting light .38 special loads would be a peach to shoot. I could even reload some lighter loads for her to shoot. Of course, I could load it with +P or .357 magnum for defense.

Tags
380acp , beretta 86