The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2012, 08:26 PM   #1
micksis86

Anyone help me with value of P.O Ackley Handbook for reloaders.

I have a set of P O Ackleys Handbook for shooters and reloaders They're both in excellent condition.

The volume 1 is a 5th printing done in 1962 and the volume 2 is a 2nd printing in 1970.
They're both black hard covers with gold embossed writing on the spines.

I'm curious if these are of any value I'm not interested in selling them as they belonged to the father of a good friend of mine who gave them to me.
If they do turn out to be of any value I will return them to him and tell him.

Thanks for any help you're able to offer.
Old February 13, 2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Savage99

I would not worry about it. I have those books and they are interesting.

Since the gentleman gave them to you read them!
Old February 13, 2012, 11:16 PM   #3
micksis86

I agree Savage and I've read them both cover to cover, they are really great and contain some really interesting wildcats that I've never heard of and I'd doubt there are even rifles chambered for anywhere.

I'm asking more out of interest than anything else as I've seen later editions recently for well over $100.
Old February 14, 2012, 07:20 AM   #4
Bud Helms
Staff

Moving to Handloading & Reloading.

I wish I had a set of P.O. Ackley hard covers in good shape.

Read 'em. They're great.
Old February 14, 2012, 08:05 AM   #5
Uncle Buck

Amazon.com has them listed for $80.00 ~ $300.00.

I just glanced at the title name and prices, not the edition. I agree with the guys, read and enjoy.
Old February 14, 2012, 02:29 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Hardcovers of those editions, in the condition described, can be difficult to find.
Volume 1 should sell for about $75-100 right now.
Volume 2, however, could fetch as much as $200. (Volume 1 outsells volume 2 three-to-one, when they're available.)

However...
The value of the older editions drop through the floor, when there is a current edition in print.
Plaza Publishing tends to make a run of Vol 1 every 5-7 years. It's been 8. So, I expect to see another printing soon.
Volume 2 is printed less frequently, and in lower numbers. I really can't even hazard a guess as to when I expect to see a new printing; especially since they printed quite a few copies in 2004.

My bottom line is the same as the other posters, though:
Keep them. They make good reference material, and reading the occasional article/chapter at random can be interesting.
Old February 14, 2012, 07:37 PM   #7
micksis86

They really are worth a read though there is so much detailed information contained in them that I must admit I've had to read some chapters a few times to get my head around the technical detail contained within them.

The hunting stories are also pretty good too.

I think that if someone came up with a wildcat of their own they should first check these books out because Ackley has probably already done it, the sheer number of wildcats contained in both volumes is phenomenal.

Thanks for the help guys.

Tags
p o ackley handbook