The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2012, 11:06 AM   #1
dead bird

RCBS Charge Master 1500

Has anyone used one of these? If so how do you like it? If not this particular model, which would you recomend. It's pricey, but to me the worst part of reloading rifle cartridges is trickling powder for every case that you load.
http://http://www.midwayusa.com/prod...combo-110-volt
Old February 12, 2012, 11:44 AM   #2
TXGunNut

Been using it for over a year now, love it. I seat a bullet while the 1500 measures the next charge. I think there's a $50 rebate from RCBS now if that helps. I still use my PACT scales for other jobs but for loading rifles with smokeless powder the RCBS 1500 is pretty awesome.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old February 12, 2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Miata Mike

Love mine, works fantastic. Very well suited for loading rifle cartridges.
Old February 12, 2012, 01:04 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

I was gifted a Hornady and I like it for rifle rounds. It is a bit slow for small pistol charges. I just use my powder measure with good metering powders for pistol rounds. I like mine a lot it works, and works well. I am sure the RCBS model will do the job just the same.
Old February 12, 2012, 01:42 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

I've said it many times before....

The first time you use that thing, a light shines down from heaven and a chorus of angels sing.

Seriously.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old February 12, 2012, 01:51 PM   #6
chiefr

I remember when AMT was the first as far as I recall anywayto bring out an automatic measure which was reasonably priced and I liked the heck out of it and used it all the time. That was over 20 years ago.
Several years ago, I purchased a RCBS chargemaster. I have loaded many rounds both pistol & rifle and find it to be the best tool on my bench. I don't see how I can be without one.

BTW, check NATCHEZ price before you purchase from Midway.
Old February 12, 2012, 02:12 PM   #7
TXGunNut

I've said it many times before....

The first time you use that thing, a light shines down from heaven and a chorus of angels sing.

Seriously. -Peetza

Yep, that pretty much describes it. One tip I want to pass on is to close the dump valve before pouring in powder....or at least keep something under it. I read it in the reviews on Midway but I pretty much forgot about it until I made a bit of a mess.
Old February 12, 2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Miata Mike

Quote:
Yep, that pretty much describes it. One tip I want to pass on is to close the dump valve before pouring in powder....or at least keep something under it. I read it in the reviews on Midway but I pretty much forgot about it until I made a bit of a mess.
You usually only do that once..... Been there, done that.
Old February 12, 2012, 03:45 PM   #9
praetorian97

Slows down the process slightly but worth the extra safety check and peace of mind.
Old February 12, 2012, 05:18 PM   #10
Tuzo

A gift from RCBS heaven

Have been loading rifle with my RCBS Chargemaster for a few years and could not be happier. Check the accuracy with a beam scale at the beginning of a session and about half way through. Never a variation in charge weight. Beeps when it completes a charge and keeps track of throws. Very important to read the instructions and follow them. Bought mine on sale for about $270 and gave away my powder trickler.

Close the dump! before adding powder to the tube.
Old February 12, 2012, 11:04 PM   #11
arizona98tj

I use the 1500 for loading my .308 Win cartridges for long range shooting. I recently cranked out 300 rounds using brand new brass. The brass prep took longer than measuring the powder and seating the bullet. It use to be the other way around before I started using the 1500.
Old February 12, 2012, 11:48 PM   #12
AllenJ

I've had mine for a little less than a year now and I'm very satisfied with it. Worth every penny IMHO.
Old February 13, 2012, 12:24 AM   #13
NESHOOTER

A buddy of mine got the hornady L-N-L auto charge powder dispenser and enjoys it warm up time is only 15 min's and has 3 speeds for dispensing but it also holds true to close the powder dump or you will have a mess. He enjoys it so much and after I have seen it in action comparing it to the 1500 I can not say which is better but I was impressed with it so I have on on order the down fall is not able to program multiple loads which I guess would make it not as the same but I'll sure give it a go.
Old February 13, 2012, 07:23 AM   #14
dunerjeff

I have one of the early model chargemaster I bought in '99 for loading long range and hunting loads.It works great and is very consistant.I've had issues with the scale needing to be reset after the first 5 to 10 charges and then every 25 or so(it starts blinking "tare"), plus if I shut it off, but leave it plugged in ,it will always turn back on,I'll turn it back off,hour or two later,its back on??? I should have sent it back,RCBS would have fixed it,but just never did.
It still work fine and is accurate(I always double check charges on a beam scale).
Old February 13, 2012, 05:30 PM   #15
William T. Watts

"I've said it many times before"....

"The first time you use that thing, a light shines down from heaven and a chorus of angels sing".

Seriously.
peetzakilla I don't want to stand to close to you for I may get struck by lightening, on the other hand I was looking at one of the RCBS ChargeMasters today and just could not make myself make the purchase. I guess I grew up during a different time and money was to hard to come by in those days. I'm still thinking but unlikely to make the purchase, I did get a good chuckle from your post though! William
Old February 13, 2012, 06:13 PM   #16
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Money is always hard to come to by for some people and not for others. Heck, in the last 5 years I've been very comfortable financially, broke, comfortable and broke again.

No one should buy a Chargemaster if they can't afford it. Truthfully, the one I use doesn't even belong to me. I load several different cartridges for my uncle and he bought the Chargemaster simply for metering smokeless powder for his Savage muzzleloader. Since he rarely needs it for that purpose, I use it to load both his and my ammo the rest of the time.

Anyway, the price doesn't affect the miracle of the machine. An Enzo Ferrari is freakin' awesome whether I can afford it or not.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old February 13, 2012, 08:05 PM   #17
m&p45acp10+1

I can say about not being able to store loads on the Hornady it is not that big of a deal. I can change the weight of the load on it in under thirty seconds not rushing it, and taking a fifteen second break.

Though I do unplug mine when not in use. I just plug it in then have a cup of of coffee, adn read TFL while it warms up. I am one of those wierd people. Most of my electronic items excluding my computer, and entertainment center get unplugged if not in use.
Old February 13, 2012, 10:22 PM   #18
603Country

I have the Lyman instead of the RCBS (lower on-sale price at Christmas) and I just love that thing. I had put off the purchase for a couple of years because it just seemed like too much money to put on something I could do without. Well..I could still do without it if I had to, but if it breaks I'll get another one. It's like that new type RCBS case trimmer head that trims, deburrs and chamfer all at once. Why oh why did I wait so long to get one?
Old February 13, 2012, 10:43 PM   #19
JayCee

I debated about an electronic charger for years, and finally decided to buy the Hornady Auto Charge after comparing it with the RCBS. The Hornady was about $100 cheaper than the RCBS, was much more compact (since it's a one piece unit) and, so far, it works extremely well. Some folks have complained that it's slow, but the speed can be programmed and with a little trial and error, I've found the settings that are best with the powders I use. I suspect that the guts of both the RCBS and the Hornady are pretty much identical...I mean, how many different components and configurations can there be for what amounts to an electronic powder trickler?

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan
Old February 13, 2012, 11:37 PM   #20
TXGunNut

My 1500 and PACT BBK both stay plugged in to a power strip, powered up all the time. Both have a sleep mode, neither seems to mind. PACT gets absolutely cranky if I move it, power it up or drop something nearby. 1500 doesn't seem to mind but it's happier powered up @ all times.
RCBS 1500 is a high-tech, well designed precision piece of durable loading equipment. Nope, it ain't cheap but good stuff seldom is. $300 is a chunk but after the rebate it's pretty reasonable, IMHO.
Old March 6, 2012, 04:55 AM   #21
dead bird

Well, I bit the bullet. It was on sale at Cabelas for $319.00, less $20.00 coupon, and $50.00 rebate. $249.00 net. (plus shipping). Used it last night, and wow, it really changes the rythym of reloading. Instead of the tedious step of trickling powder, I am seating a bullet and checking oal while the chargemaster is measuring the next powder charge. How can anyone do without one of these?
Old March 6, 2012, 05:41 AM   #22
hounddawg

I was unlucky. Got one about 2 years ago and it was defective straight from the box. I wish now I had just exchanged it but got a full refund and bought a RCBS 750 scale instead. Now I can't really justify the purchase of another one so for my stick stuff I just dip and trickle my rifle rounds.
Old March 6, 2012, 10:11 AM   #23
F. Guffey

http://www.pact.com/index.php?option...=14&Itemid=126

I have the Powder Pro, as indicated, the Powder Pro can be upgraded to the 1500 for $75.00 plus shipping.

Problem, friends have shipped RCBS green scales to be updated and received gray Pact scales in return, for a few that could be a problem when matching luggage is a way of travel. And I ask if PACT took in a used RCBS scale and sent a new PACT scale in return, and then my friend said “And that ‘aint’ all” In his opinion based on his opinion bases on experienced he said PACT was insulated, and I heard about it for 5 months, then, finally , it arrived, back in his shop, and that adds something to the axiom about messing with an old person.

F. Guffey
Old March 6, 2012, 11:52 AM   #24
howlnmad

I've got the 1500 Combo..... Love it. I've also got the PACT BBK.... Love it too. They're both made by PACT down in Texas..
Just remember to let them warm up and they don't like vibrations.
Old March 6, 2012, 12:25 PM   #25
Jerry45

I like my 1500 Combo. It doesn’t seem to like IMR 4064 very much though. It throws .1 to .2 high on a regular basis. Loaded 70 rounds the other day. Took 140 throws to get 70 at an even 49.00 grs. Doesn’t seem to have a problem with Varget or H 4198. Perhaps I’m just too picky and should go ahead and use the 49.1 and 49.2. Overall I really like it.