The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 14, 2016, 01:46 PM   #1
Jbotto

Favorite powders for .243 Win and 65gr HP's?

Awhile back I bought a box of reloading goodies at an estate sale. It came with a mostly-full box of .244" bullets that were labeled 75gr. Well I pulled them out the other day and weighed them. Turns out they are instead 65gr HP's brand unknown. I have usually been loading heavier bullets for this .243 so I'm uncertain where to begin. They are obviously nothing I'll reload seriously, more or less just shoot them until they are gone. I currently have Varget, IMR 4064, H414 and H335. So what are some of your favorites powders for this combination? I'm not looking for pet loads, as I understand working up loads for my own rifle, so just favorite powders please! Thank you in advance!
Old February 14, 2016, 02:43 PM   #2
Jim243

I have always liked H-4895 for any bullet over 60 gains.

Just my favorite.
Stay safe.
Jim
Old February 14, 2016, 03:05 PM   #3
RKG

In my experience, it is almost hard to find a bad powder for .243 Win. loads.

Some ago, I bought some 60 grain Sierra HPs just to see what they would do. I ended up with a load of 41.0 grains of Varget, CCI #200 primers, Win. brass, and a COAL of 2.800".

Fired out of a sporter profile Savage Model 14, these things hit an 8" steel at 300 yards all day, even with a bit of wind and some reasonably high mileage eyes guiding the rifle.

As noted, with a variety of slugs all the way up to the 107 grain SMK, I've experimented with Varget, 3031, 4064, Reloder 15 and Win. 748. All have done well.
Old February 14, 2016, 06:06 PM   #4
Clark

I used 40 gr surplus 4895 65 gr Vmax 2.7" OAL and got 3510 fps.
I got a 0.54" 5 shot group at 50 yards.

That was a 2008 project with Adams and Bennett barrel. Fired that group and something else and have not shot the rifle since.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?