The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 7, 2012, 11:24 AM   #1
prlahr72

Value Help on a Reloading Setup

My dad got out of reloading a while back and gave me all his reloading stuff as I was going to attempt hand loading at one time. It never happened and now this stuff is just laying around and it needs to go. I am going to try selling locally so I don't have to pay to ship something this heavy. What I want to know is the value of the package so I know what to ask for. Any info. you can give would be greatly appreciated. Everything I have is in the pictures. Thanks!

Old February 7, 2012, 12:55 PM   #2
serf 'rett

It may be helpful to know where you live if you are trying to sell locally.

#1. RCBS powder trickler and RCBS scale (the model number should be on the box or scale)
#2. three loading trays - the make and model may be on the end tab or tray
#3. two out of date Nosler reloading manuals
#4. old style RCBS power measure
#5. powder measure parts, powder funnels and chamfering tool
#6. old style RCBS Rockchucker press

Current price of similar Rockchucker kit at Midway is $319.99 for new equipment.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937...tage-press-kit
Old February 7, 2012, 01:11 PM   #3
prlahr72

Thanks for the info. I am in N. Georgia. That at least gives me a good idea what price range I should be in.
Old February 7, 2012, 01:42 PM   #4
mrawesome22

Hopefully you give your dad the money....
Old February 7, 2012, 01:58 PM   #5
AllenJ

Spoken like a true father
Old February 8, 2012, 04:41 PM   #6
Uncle Buck

prlahr72 - You might want to try ebay or gun broker and see what those items are bringing, then list them locally on Craigslist or some such website.

If you get no hits, let me know, I would be interested in the two outdated manuals, loading blocks and the digital scale.

When I sell things that I have to ship, the buyer pays the shipping and insurance, or it is no deal. Most of that stuff would fit in one of the larger flat rate shipping boxes.
Old February 8, 2012, 05:20 PM   #7
BigJimP

The scale and the powder trickler ...is where most of your value is based on what I see in the photo's. The scale and powder trickler are worth at least $ 100 in my area.

The press ...and the rest of it ...you'll be lucky to get someone to take it off your hands.

I'd suggest you ask $ 150 for everything ...let them talk you down to $ 125 ...and get rid of it.

I see at least a dozen of these old RCBS presses at the gunshows every month...but I haven't seen one sell in a long time...( unless someone just needs parts ). The RCBS rockchucker I had ..with dies...I put in a box "Free" at my local gun club ...and someone took the dies out / and a couple of parts off the press ...and left the rest of it there..
Old February 8, 2012, 06:01 PM   #8
David Wile

Hey prlahr72,

I don't know where Big Jim gets his prices, but you ask $150 for all that, and I will take it without talking you down, and I will gladly pay the shipping, and I don't even need any of it. Watch me leave a free RockChucker behind???? No way!

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old February 8, 2012, 09:10 PM   #9
Jim243

I am afraid the values quoted are way over stated. The loading blocks are $7.00 apeice new. The Rockchucker is the Jr. model worth about $35.00, I paid $65 for a Rockchucker Supreme used. As to the value of the scale?????

The books are worth about $5.00 each used (the IMR is a free book from IMR) and they are old. As to the powder measure, I don't know but all the parts aren't there, where are the drop tubes for the powder?

If David wants to give you $150 for it all, I would say take the money and run.

Jim
Old February 8, 2012, 10:55 PM   #10
David Wile

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the help getting prlahr72 to sell me the stuff for $150 plus shipping. My offer still stands, but that really would not be a very fair deal for prlahr72.

Your identifcation of the press model as an RCBS Jr. missed the barn by about 12 yards. That is not an RCBS Jr press in that picture. No how - no way. That press is definitely an RCBS RockChucker. There is no RockChucker Jr press. There is the RCBS RockChucker and the RCBS Jr., and they are not the same press. I have an RCBS RockChucker and an RCBS Jr., and I have had them for almost 50 years now. In fact, I now have two RCBS Jr. presses along with my RockChucker. I think I know a RockChucker when I see it in that picture.

The Jr. model is the straight leverage system that all presses used until RCBS came out with their A model presses about 1950 and introduced the compound leverage toggle system that so many presses use today. The RCBS RockChucker pretty much replaced the the RCBS A series of presses sometime in the early to mid 1960s. While it was not quite as robust as the A series of presses, it was and is a truly serious "O" frame press with the same compound leverage toggle system initiated on the A series presses. The RCBS Jr. press is also an "O" frame press with good size, but it is the smaller brother to the RockChucker.

The RockChucker Supreme press is a more recent press and should be an improvement to the RockChucker. If you got a used Supreme for $65, you did real well. If you got a regular RockChucker for $65, you would have also done well. It makes me wonder if you really got a RockChucker and do not know the difference.

The powder measure is a very good measure, and both plastic drop tube are shown. What I would be concerned about the powder measure is whether the two powder chamber inserts are both there. I only see the one.

I have never used an electronic scale, do not know much about them, and really would not care for one myself. However, I do know if I could buy this stuff for $150, there are a lot of folks who would pay more than half of that just for the scale. The powder trickler would bring at least $12 or more on E-Bay.

$150 is not over valued in any way, and I pay that all day long for his stuff as long as I can be sure the scale is working properly. We really should not be low balling this guy. He deserves better than that.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old February 8, 2012, 11:23 PM   #11
mrawesome22

My guess is we'll never hear from this dude again anyway lol.

I wouldn't give him a penny.

It was a gift from his dad and now he's trying to make a buck on it

Shame on him.

Give it back to your dad if you don't want it.
Old February 9, 2012, 09:25 AM   #12
prlahr72

Just to clear this up, I did ask my father if he wanted it back and he said no because he is not reloading anymore. So, if everyone is done poking their noses in things that are my business and not theirs, maybe we can get back to the topic of the thread.
Old February 9, 2012, 09:31 AM   #13
Rifleman1776

An ad in your local paper will get it sold before the ink is dry.
Old February 9, 2012, 09:43 AM   #14
prlahr72

Thanks rifleman. I already have it listed in several local publications. I just wasn't sure what to ask. I didn't want to ask too much and end up hurting my chances of a sale.
Old February 9, 2012, 10:36 AM   #15
Uncle Buck

Current Prices I have found on this equipment.

Ebay:
Scale Starting at $143.00 (Depends on the model number)
Powder trickler $6.50 ~ $20.00
Loading blocks - $6.50 Each. (x3)
RCBS Powder Measure - $30.00 ~ You gotta be kidding me!
Press:
RCBS - $45.00 (Still up for auction, 5 bids so far)
Are you guys sure the press is an RCBS? The color looks more of a blue than a green. The color in the other pictures are clear.

Total = $244 just for the reloading stuff.
(Figure Ebay is going to take some of that money for themselves.)

Reloading Books (Amazon)
Nosler 5th Edition - $12.39 ~ $24.50
Nosler #3 Edition - $7.88 ~ $35.99

I am totally shocked to see what these books are being sold for on Amazon.com. I do not know how long they have had the books. Some of the data inside has changed and to be safe you would want to have the most up to date book available. I figured $5.00 a book at the most.
Old February 9, 2012, 05:28 PM   #16
hk33ka1

Somewhere between $100-200. Mybe you could gift it to another young reloader who wants to start?
Old February 9, 2012, 07:24 PM   #17
GWS

Quote:
Are you guys sure the press is an RCBS? The color looks more of a blue than a green. The color in the other pictures are clear.
I can verify that the press is a '70's era Rock Chucker and appears in good condition. RCBS's color then was a lighter green with a very flat sheen. That flat paint doesn't photograph well. In the late seventies, RCBS changed their color to what you see on the powder measure. It has a more glossy sheen and is a bit darker green, with lightly sponged silver over the surface. So the measure is a bit newer than the press. The early Uniflow powder measures had Uniflow deeply engraved on the rim just below the powder bin (even with the later paint). I don't see that so its either newer than that, or the engraving is on the other side. The scale is a lot newer...they didn't have digitals when that press was made. Quality? The old Rock Chuckers are ever bit as good as the new ones....some say better.

If I was a buyer, I'd want to know if you have the primer feeder parts to the press that aren't shown in the picture. Also the other sized drum and stem for the Uniflow Powder measure.

Last edited by GWS; February 9, 2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old February 9, 2012, 07:39 PM   #18
Uncle Buck

Thanks GWS. I am learning stuff everyday.
Old February 9, 2012, 08:34 PM   #19
jepp2

You can search eBay for item #220939444483. It is for a RockChucker that sold recently, about the same condition as yours. It sold for $85 + $30 shipping. This will give you a pretty good idea what your press could sell for. You could ship cheaper using a USPS large flat rate box.

To get a better idea on current value you can always search eBay and select completed auctions. That allows you to see what the auctions closed for. My experience is that you will get way more for items from auction than group sale. But it is more work and you do have to pay the selling commission.