The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 6, 2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Contrast Man

Ruger MKIII 22/45 Unboxing

I've got a 22/45 on order (hopefully will have it within the week) and I've got a question for you guys. I know there's a ridiculous amount of discussion on its take down and cleaning procedure and the maintenance cleanings isn't really what I'm curious about, but moreso the cleaning procedure you've done when you first receive it.

Did you take it fully apart and give it a good run through? Did you just remove the bolt? Not remove the bolt and left it held open? Or did you take it straight from the box and start putting rounds through it?

Appreciate your insights.
Thanks!
Old February 6, 2012, 05:16 PM   #2
terry56

just got one

I took mine from the box, shot 1,000 rounds and then took it apart and cleaned it.
Took 3 visits to the club to shoot 1,000.
When purchased they told me NOT to take it apart, didn't have to they are industructable.
I watched the videos on the Rugar site, a few times. Watched the videos on You Tube. Got it apart easy. Took me until the 3rd quarter to get it back together. Not the whole time, maybe tried 6, 8 times. I'm new to shooting and pistols, but come on...It was tricky, but not that hard.
I personaly like to clean my guns throughly.
JMHO
Terry
Old February 6, 2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Stealth01

I would HIGHLY recommend you, at a minimum, pull the bolt and do a proper cleaning of the barrel and bolt! You will see what I mean when the patches come out of the barrel and you see the "crap" on the bolt. These are GREAT guns and you will enjoy your time on the range with it. I spent this afternoon knocking over bowling pins at 100 yards... with a 4.5 inch barrel!!

Old February 6, 2012, 10:40 PM   #4
Contrast Man

Thanks for the feedback. Taking the bolt out and giving a bit of a cleaning doesn't sound like an issue, I was just concerned about taking apart the barrel and receiver as I've heard taking it fully apart like that isn't always necessary and can actually loosen (damage) it over time, taking that with a grain of salt though.
Old February 6, 2012, 11:15 PM   #5
Fishbed77

Quote:
Did you take it fully apart and give it a good run through? Did you just remove the bolt? Not remove the bolt and left it held open? Or did you take it straight from the box and start putting rounds through it?
Definitely break it down,clean it, and lube it. My stainless Mark III came from the Ruger factory as dry as a bone. Seriously - not a drop of lube or preservative grease. It was so tight I could barely pull the bolt back.

Quote:
I was just concerned about taking apart the barrel and receiver as I've heard taking it fully apart like that isn't always necessary and can actually loosen (damage) it over time, taking that with a grain of salt though.
You should never separate the barrel from the upper receiver when cleaning the pistol. I don't know why anyone would ever do this unless they are a gunsmith and are replacing the barrel.

Doing a full field strip as detailed in the instruction manual (which means separating the upper receiver/barrel from the lower receiver) is perfectly harmless and not difficult at all, provided you follow the instructions in the manual. The pistol will loosen a little over time (aka break-in), and that is perfectly harmless, normal, and desirable, as it means the pistol will operate more smoothly and become easier to take apart when desired.
Old February 6, 2012, 11:17 PM   #6
Merad

I'd field strip it 4 or 5 times straight out of the box before cleaning it and going shooting.

a. You have to field strip it sooner or later. The more you put it off the more you'll want to put it off (because MkIII's are soooo hard to take apart )
b. Learn how to take it apart (read the manual AND do what it says!) from the beginning.
c. MkIII's tend to be kind of tight from the factory. The more you take it apart the easier it gets.
Old February 6, 2012, 11:46 PM   #7
AndersonG22

Watch this video while you're putting it back together cause that's the hard part, it helped me tonight. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fIYIWK0boo

EDIT: in the video he doesn't remove the mag to get the main spring assembly back in, on mine I have to remove the mag to seat the assembly and fold that last part up the back of the grip.

Last edited by AndersonG22; February 7, 2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old February 7, 2012, 12:27 AM   #8
SVO

You do realize that to remove the bolt you have to remove the main spring assembly which is the part that gives everyone problems on re-assembly.
Old February 7, 2012, 12:40 AM   #9
rugerfreak

With my MkIII--I ordered a MkII hammer bushing and "fixed" it as soon as I got the gun.

Ditched the mag safety, then pulled the loaded chamber indicator and removed the metal piece that interfers with the chamber and then put the plastic piece w/ spring back in just to fill the hole.

Completely cleaned and lubed the gun----THEN went shooting.
Old February 7, 2012, 01:20 AM   #10
Contrast Man

Quote:
You should never separate the barrel from the upper receiver when cleaning the pistol. I don't know why anyone would ever do this unless they are a gunsmith and are replacing the barrel.
Whoops....mistake there on the nomenclature

Quote:
You do realize that to remove the bolt you have to remove the main spring assembly which is the part that gives everyone problems on re-assembly.
Yes, I do realize this and my concern isn't with the dis/reassembly process itself, more so the initial treatment of the gun and if there was anything special involved. Seems like the overall consensus is to just give it a good, typical cleaning before taking it out.
Old February 7, 2012, 09:16 AM   #11
Fishbed77

Quote:
It won't give you any problems if you keep the manual handy.
Old February 7, 2012, 09:54 AM   #12
stu925

When I bought mine I stripped it down and scrubbed everything lubed it all up and reassembled it. It's never given me any trouble at all. I recently ordered a new hammer bushing (Sam Lam) for it to get rid of the stupid magazine disconnect. That's a feature I just don't get, I understand the loaded chamber indicator even if I don't like it much but the purpose of a magazine disconnect just baffles me.

Stu
Old February 7, 2012, 10:36 AM   #13
Viper99

Stu925

Mag disconnect is probably for the idiots who can't clear a gun properly and may leave a round in the chamber, then take out the mag and think is safe to leave it around. God forbid a kid finds it and pulls the trigger.

I am personally okay with it because to me a Ruger .22 is not a carry gun or a home defense but strictly for plinking / range and as such, safeties don't bother me. But that is just me. Some will certainly see it differently.