The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 6, 2012, 08:44 AM   #1
hounddawg

RCBS 5-0-2 vs RCBS 750 rangemaster accuracy

was reloading some .204's this morning and after throwing the powder into 50 using my RCBS electronic I went back to double check a few random cases and noticed they were off a bit. So I pulled down the old 5-0-2 mechanical and checked a few of them. Seems like there is a discrepancy of .35 gr between the mechanical and electronic now. Calibrated the electronic 3 times and the .35 grain difference still exists. 24.5 on the mechanical = 28.0 on the electronic.

Since I have been using the electronic for the past year now I am unsure of my load development figures and really don't trust the electronic anymore. No danger here since I load for accuracy vs speed and all my loads are well below maximum, it just irritates me that now I don't really trust the load development I did last week and now I am trying to decide whether to load these rounds using the figures from the electronic or the mechanical. Guess I will just go shoot the ones I have loaded at 24.5 on the electronic and see how they group.
Old February 6, 2012, 09:54 AM   #2
joe45c

hounddawg, you probably have already thought of this, but are you sure your 502 is reading right?
Old February 6, 2012, 10:31 AM   #3
hounddawg

I trust the 5-0-2 a whole lot more than the electronic. Once it is leveled there is not much that can effect it. The electronic on the other hand......
Old February 6, 2012, 05:03 PM   #4
joe45c

yea, i only use a rcbs 505. and i do trust it but i should buy a weight check kit. I've used it since the mid 80's and never calibrated it, except by using the poor mans way of using known weights of a item.
Old February 6, 2012, 05:55 PM   #5
mrawesome22

Put a bullet of a known weight on the electronic and see what it reads.
Old February 6, 2012, 06:46 PM   #6
Jimro

It doesn't matter if your scales read differently as long as they read consistently.

As long as the scale you are using for load development is consistent then you will be safe.

Jack O'Connor published some pretty hot loads for the 270 Winchester. It wasn't until after a friend of his got his reloading scale after Jack's death did anyone figure out that Jack's scale read about a few grains high consistently.

Jimro

http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/
Old February 6, 2012, 07:54 PM   #7
hounddawg

Quote:
It doesn't matter if your scales read differently as long as they read consistently.

As long as the scale you are using for load development is consistent then you will be safe.
exactly. Like I said these loads are mild anyway. I usually stop my load development as soon as I hit the first accuracy node. When if we get our 1000 yard range I might start pushing it to find the highest node. In the loads I had measured out the highest "off" load I found was just 0.3 grains which would still be a full 2 grains shy of max load. It was the inconsistency that really had my tush torqued. These are just fun loads for the .204 but now I am wondering if the oddball flyers in my .308 loads were caused by the scale. Will be working up loads for a .260 for long range and at least now I now know not to trust the electronic.

One thing is for sure, I am swearing off electronic scales for my precision rounds. This make 2 in the last 4 years that have went bad on me.