The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 28, 2012, 11:04 AM   #1
mrappe

Putting 10 rnds of 38 spc in my Rossi 92 mag

Years ago i bought a Rossi Puma '92 in .357/38 and my wife got interested in shooting CASS after many years of being on the sideline. So I have this extra rifle but it only holds 9 rnds. If you try to put 10 in there the last rnd will only insert about half way. My local club more ofter than not has stages that require 10 rnds in the rifle so I have been wondering if I can cut the mag spring down a little to get the 10th rnd in the magazine. Has anyone tried this?
Old January 28, 2012, 11:56 AM   #2
trap4570

Is it possible to load one in the chamber when you are at the firing line? I guess it would be up to the rules of your club. The only other option might be loading wad cutters if they will feed.
Old January 28, 2012, 12:32 PM   #3
Hawg

No it's not possible to load one in the chamber with a staged rifle. Yes it is possible to cut the spring down to hold 10.
Old January 28, 2012, 12:55 PM   #4
zxcvbob

Try using 148 grain DEWC bullets, and an OAL of 1.35" or 1.36". (if you go shorter, they'll jam.) My Marlin '94 feeds those just as good as RNFP's and I can fit an extra one in the magazine.

You can use either .38 Special brass or .357, but they may look kind of silly in .38's with half the bullet and the crimp groove hanging out.
Old January 28, 2012, 11:57 PM   #5
Hellgate

My newly bought SS Hartford Rossi '92 would not take 10 rounds so I whined about it on the SASS Wire and I was told to take off the magazine cap and there was a white plastic spacer/plug in the muzzle end of the mag. They said to throw it away and reinstall the magazine spring (without needing to cut it). The gun immediately held 10 and maybe even 11 rounds of 357. Another option is to shoot 38spl in it since they are shorter than 357mag ammo. This was a gun bought in about 2000. The plug was about 1.5-2 inches long.

The older '92 I bought used in 1993 did not have the spacer and always has held ten rounds.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old January 29, 2012, 10:26 PM   #6
Andy Griffith

What are the lengths of the barrels on the Rossi carbines/rifles y'all are referring to?

The 16" gun will only hold 9 rounds unless modification are made.
The 20" and 24" guns will hold more if the plugs are taken out. I don't know why they put plugs in rifle magazines, other than some states do limit rifle magazines for hunting purposes.
Old February 9, 2012, 01:26 PM   #7
mrappe

The mag tube goes all of the way to the end of the barrel but I will haver to measure the length.
Old February 9, 2012, 01:29 PM   #8
mrappe

There is no plug in there. I looked.
Old February 11, 2012, 12:33 PM   #9
mrappe

I just measured the magazine and it is about 15 inches. I took the end plug and spring out and 10 rnds will fit in there with the end plug etc. but there will not be much room for the spring. Has anyone tried cutting the spring on these?
Old February 11, 2012, 01:30 PM   #10
zxcvbob

Have you tried shorter cartridges? .05" shorter times 10 rounds gives you another half an inch. If you don't want to use wadcutters (loaded a little long) try a short-profile bullet like Lee's "RF" (round flat point) cast bullets.
Old February 21, 2012, 06:20 AM   #11
mrappe

I ordered a Win 92 rifle spring spring from Numerich and cut it down a little at a time yesterday until I was able to get 10 rnds into the magazine using the 158 grn rn nose fp bullets that I shoot the gun with. So far it feeds well.
Old February 21, 2012, 09:54 AM   #12
Hawg

Good deal.
Old February 21, 2012, 02:49 PM   #13
Noz

That's the correct way to solve a problem.
Old February 25, 2012, 11:53 AM   #14
Fairshake

Location: Livingston, La. about 20 miles East of Baton Rouge, Louisiana

f you contact Nate Kiowa Jones AKA Steve Young, he is the GURU of the 92 and has a very nice DVD for $20 that shows take down and how to smooth it out.
He advised me many years ago to take the spring and put it in the magazine and see how much stuck out. Then he told me to leave about 2 1/2 inches and cut the rest. After that the 10 rounds were loaded with out a problem.
He sells a stainless steel spring and follower on his web site that is a very worth while thing to purchase.
The stock plastic or blued follower may wear or rust and cause a FTF at the wrong time.
I have removed many plastic (mostly yellow) that have nicks and burrs all over them and this makes them very easy to bind and cause a jam.
Old February 26, 2012, 08:04 PM   #15
shafter

Mine has a 20 inch barrel and hold 11+1. Love it!
Old February 29, 2012, 07:52 PM   #16
CarbineWilliams

Follower/magazine tube spacer: I've been wondering about that myself and I've seen some reference to the fact that the follower helps you when you unload, to make sure you've gotten all the rounds out. So it's a safety/liability thing maybe. Does that idea hold any water?

Man, I want a lever action something although I'm really leaning towards a BLR in 30-06. I know it only holds 4+1 but still it is a hell of a nice gun. I've been looking at the Pumas that shoot 454 Casull and 45 LC but everyone always seems to be out of stock. Are they still making them?