The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 8, 2012, 06:53 PM   #1
bjones870

Can I carry or not?

Ok, so I've had every kind of answer you can think of. But here's my question. I'm 19 years old, the area I live in is definitely a rougher area. If I'm 19 years old, can I carry in my vehicle if it's open carry, and I'm not prohibited from owning a firearm? I'm speaking of a pistol of course; and I live in Georgia. I'm not prohibited from owning a gun, I am under 21, however I can own in Ga, I do know that law. And I can carry on my property and my personal vehicle is my property, as defined by Ga law, but some people say I can't, almost as if they don't want me to be able to. So can I carry or not?

To be ready, mentally and physically for what ever scenario arises, provides the best sleep at night I've ever gotten.
Old February 8, 2012, 07:25 PM   #2
ripnbst

Having every answer I can think of yields two results, yes and no.

I would say no, you can't carry. You can own a handgun under 21, but you can't buy one new. Each state is different, the easy way to find out is to call your local police department and if they say no, talk about what you've found on your own, and cite the sections you found it under so they can look at it.

That's my advice. Don't ask people on the internet or friends. Do you own your car or do your parents own it? If they own it then it's not technically YOUR property, it's theirs.
Old February 8, 2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
If I'm 19 years old, can I carry in my vehicle if it's open carry, and I'm not prohibited from owning a firearm?
Unfortunately, no. You have to be "eligible for a [carry] license" to have it in the cabin, and you're not eligible for the license until you're 21.
Old February 8, 2012, 10:08 PM   #4
wally626

Open or concealed carry is only allowed in GA with a permit. You have to be 21 to get the permit. So no general carrying. There are exceptions for hunting and fishing if open carried.

The NRA-ILA has synopsis of state gun laws. You should be able to look them up on a GA government site, and Gun Laws has books for every state that are very good.
Old February 9, 2012, 12:07 AM   #5
BarryLee

Here are two sites that might be helpful:

http://www.georgiacarry.org/

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 11, 2012, 07:59 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

I'd guess no as well.

The www.handgunlaw.us is a great resource for all general CCW questions.