The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 23, 2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Jack Merrill

curious about QuickLOAD?

I have read references to QuickLOAD> I am unfamiliar with it, is it a software app or a reference book? I would be interested in obtaining it, where can it be purchased? I would also appreciate some feedback on the best source of reloading data for lead handgun loads. I have only loaded 45 acp in handguns. I am loading 5.3 gr of win 231 for a 200 gr swc bullet. I am interested in loading for 40 sw and 9mm lugar. Thank you for your feedback
Old January 23, 2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Analytical

You can buy it here.

http://www.neconos.com/details3.htm

There is a lot of info about this software available through a quick google search. I believe Wikipedia even has an entry for it. Don't mean to be tight lipped I just don't want to post anything that looks like an advertisement .

Last edited by Analytical; January 23, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old January 23, 2012, 04:55 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

QuickLoad is absolutely fantastic and will revolutionize your rifle reloading...

Except it sometimes doesn't do so well with straight-walled (or relatively straight-walled) cartridges like 45acp/9mm/40SW and the like.

In theory anyway.

I have found it to be remarkably accurate for 357sig (admittedly not straight-walled) but also for 10mm.

It's not necessarily to be trusted as a stand alone source without referencing published data, but it does mostly come very close to matching published data.

I had it, but my computer that it was on died and I bought a new one that's Windows 7 and I can't find my original CD to send back to get the Windows 7 version. Makes me very sad.

QuickLoad is almost magical.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old January 23, 2012, 09:49 PM   #4
jepp2

Quote:
I would also appreciate some feedback on the best source of reloading data for lead handgun loads.
For the calibers you mention, probably the Lee Modern Reloading manual will show the most. It is a collection of data from various sources.
Old January 24, 2012, 01:55 AM   #5
mrawesome22

www.google.com
Old January 24, 2012, 02:00 AM   #6
mrawesome22

Peetza, you can install microsoft virtual pc, then install xp and then install ql in your virtual xp os.
Old January 24, 2012, 08:47 AM   #7
Sevens

Which will somehow magically make the lost QuickLoad disk reappear?!

Along with the google link... that's just a heap of help you've offered in this thread.
Old January 24, 2012, 09:27 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Well, it's my fault I don't have the disk. It's Microsoft's fault that their operating systems perpetually suck, but it's not their fault I lost the cd.
If only there were a Mac version of QuickLoad.
Old January 24, 2012, 09:59 AM   #9
mrawesome22

If you have the product key you don't need the disk.
Old January 24, 2012, 11:21 AM   #10
JASmith

I am a QuickLoad user. The software is not for the casual user. While it serves my needs fairly well, one must always cross-check the results with known pressure and velocities in similar cartridges with the same powder and bullet types to have confidence in the starting points for loads. This is true about any analysis code used by professionals.

Having said that, one can get extraordinarily useful insight by using this package.
Old January 24, 2012, 11:56 AM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrawesome22
If you have the product key you don't need the disk.
QL distribution is controlled by burning individually customized disks tied by encryption to each customer's serial number. The complete software is not available for download online, nor would someone else's disk's content work with his serial number, even though it's a valid serial number. So, without having both the disk for his particular serial number and the serial number itself (printed on the disk), he may be stuck. I know NECO can replace a disk if it goes bad or is damaged, but you have to send the old one in to get the replacement for that purpose. I don't know their policy on a lost disk, but it can't hurt to ask.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old January 26, 2012, 09:16 PM   #12
saands

Well ... I am still running an old version of QL on my new Windows7 machine. My version might be older than Peetzakilla's, but it didn't require an installation ... just a simple copying of the files. Worth a try if they won't support you.

I agree that it isn't a program for the masses ...

I will add that one of the ways that I find it VERY useful is in establishing a max safe velocity ... even if QL predicts that I am not at max pressure based on the load specifics, if I get speeds that QL says should only be achieved with high pressures, then I use that as an additional signal to put on the brakes.

Saands
Old January 26, 2012, 10:00 PM   #13
Orochimaru

Can I install it to multiple computers?

I have a PC near my reloading bench, but I also do a lot of research and initial load development from my main computer, which is upstairs.

Of course, I could go the virtualization route, but a straight install would be easier.
Old January 27, 2012, 01:46 AM   #14
mrawesome22

Saands, sounds like you are running 32bit windows7. QL will run on that version.

Win7 x64 will not run QL however.
Old January 27, 2012, 01:52 AM   #15
Sport45

Quote:
Can I install it to multiple computers?

I have a PC near my reloading bench, but I also do a lot of research and initial load development from my main computer, which is upstairs.
I don't know the answer to this, but I'd think it would be handier at your research PC than at the reloading bench. By the time you get to the bench you'll probably know what you want to do.

Getting Quickload is on my to-do list this year.
Old January 27, 2012, 08:31 AM   #16
Orochimaru

MrAwesome22 -- are you sure about that?

I downloaded the demo version a couple of weeks ago and it ran just fine on Win7 x64. It did have to install one of the older VB redistributables, but it ran.

Still, I may have to go the VirtualPC route if it can only be installed on one PC.
Old January 27, 2012, 10:54 AM   #17
saands

Nope ... I'm running the 64 bit version, but I neglected to mention that I am running QL2.9 in a virtual XP machine.

Saands
Old January 27, 2012, 11:03 AM   #18
mehavey

Since I'm running it upstairs, downstairs (not in my lady's chamber). I know it can be run or more than one machine at the same time.
Old January 28, 2012, 03:36 PM   #19
mrawesome22

I have V3.2 and couldn't get it to run on Win7 x64 even in compatibility mode.

But I use XP x86 in a virtual machine for some older programs, so just installed it to that.

If you go to the QL site, they have a Win7 update that you have to pay for