The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 1, 2012, 11:55 PM   #26
BIG P

Whats that old saying,Beware of the old man with one gun he knows how to use it.
Old February 3, 2012, 02:08 PM   #27
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

He could have been a collector and likes to shoot what he collects. I have other guns but sometimes I just have to take out the old M1 Garand for deer hunting. In fact It was my only choice when I lived in New Mexico. If it was good enough for shooting 1000 yard matches it was certainly good enough for 200 yard deer.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 7, 2012, 12:37 PM   #28
Jack O'Conner

Up until about 1894, ALL hunting cartrdiges had rainbow trajectories yet 'lopes still got clobbered. Heck, modern archers topple many pronghorns each year, too.

The widespread myth of only long shots for western game animals is commonly accepted.

Jack
Old February 7, 2012, 01:48 PM   #29
Gunplummer

I remember when Gun Writers were trying to convince people that the 7.62 x 39 was equal to the 30-30. Or not. Depends which side you were on. I had been using a custom bolt gun for years in that caliber for whitetail and still would get an earful from the experts. Use what you want if it is legal.
Old February 7, 2012, 05:41 PM   #30
HOGSHOOTER

Use both SKS and AKS for hogshooting.Never had to shoot twice those 130TSX are mean to those hogs shoot out to 150 meters with no probelm.killed a 330lb boar at 145 meters enough said i think.HOGSHOOTER
Old February 7, 2012, 05:51 PM   #31
Wyoredman

I don't own a SKS, but I do own a AK in 7.62x39. That being said, it never dawned on me to take it hunting untill I saw this fella with his, hunting antelope. I do not begrudge him, but I like my hunting rifles when hunting.

I'm sure he had a good time!
Old February 7, 2012, 06:08 PM   #32
MJN77

Quote:
I had been using a custom bolt gun for years in that caliber for whitetail and still would get an earful from the experts
There always seems to be a lot of "experts" around, and never enough people that really know what they're talking about. While I don't think I would use an SKS or AK as a hunting rifle, I believe that they would be just as good as any other rifle as long as you hit what you are shooting at. Isn't that what matters? A good solid hit with a SKS is better than a miss with a 300 mag.
Old February 19, 2012, 01:11 PM   #33
FairWarning

Good commercial 7.62x39 is slightly inferior to 30-30, whcih I consider the baseline for whitetail, let alone antelope. Any kind of Russian surplus 7.62x39 is well inferior to 30-30 and simply not worth it to me unless you have no other choice. The round and the guns that shoot it are generally inferior to 30-30, but you can spray hundreds of them against 2 legged predators, the true calling of SKS/AK platforms.
Old February 19, 2012, 04:03 PM   #34
4sixteen

Pronghorns aren't all that wary, and depending on the terrain can be stalked fairly closely. It seems to be more of a stunt to be using an open-sighted SKS on pronghorns just to see if it can be done.
Old February 19, 2012, 05:30 PM   #35
samsmix

Having shot a good many Speed Goats in eastern MT (terrain like Wyoming), I can tell you with authority that the SKS in 7.62x39mm, while not my first choice, would be a fine Antelope rifle and catridge to about 300yards. Yes, you are 14" low at that range, but given the gun's 6 O'clock style sights a backline hold at 300 yards will strike the vitals. I have a friend who uses one on mulies, and when he shoots they die. He won't shoot beyond 300yds, because not only is the bullet running out of killing power, 300 is the limit of his ability to keep his shots on a paper plate/the vitals.

Will the little 123gr bullet shoot diagonally through the hip bone to the far side shoulder? No. But even with a 7mm Mag 150gr neither he nor I would take such a shot. From the front, side, or quartering to, this bullet WILL kill any deer or antelope you hit correctly with it.

Before you try it though, be sure to practice that two-stage military trigger, as it is the key to shooting the SKS accuratly

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?