The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2012, 10:58 PM   #1
golfnutrlv

Sierra 69 Grain bullets in 5.56mm Brass

Does anyone have experience loading Sierra 69 Grain Matchking's in 5.56 rated brass? Specifically Lake City? (Not the Match grade)

Rifle is a 5.56rated M&P15 16" carbine. (Which is very accurate)

None of my manuals list any data. Hornady has a service rifle section, but they used .223 cases...

Also, what brass do you use for match grade .223 handloads?

I use Lapua in my .308, but seems kind of expensive, and easy to lose in an autoloader.

Winchester was my other first choice, but I have had problems with the necks splitting after only one loading.

Thanks all...
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old January 20, 2012, 11:26 PM   #2
Tim R

I have had no problem using Lake City brass to load up 52 to 80 grain SMK’s. I shoot 77 gr. SMK’s the most. The 69 Gr. SMK’s can shoot really nice groups. (Well any SMK shoots nice groups with the right twist.) I buy once fired Lake City. I size& de-cap. I then swage the primer pocket and then uniform the primer pocket. This now prepped and processed brass is about as good as it gets for AR brass. I have even gone so far to weigh cases in an attempt to tighten group size at 600 yards. The down side of weighing casers is when the guy next to you inadvertently picks up a few of your weighed cases. I don’t know if a guy can even get 556 dies. It’s been such a non-issue for me.
Old January 21, 2012, 11:29 AM   #3
A_Gamehog

Lake city is my favorite go-to brass and I have PMC, RP,Lapua,Nosler,Fiocchi , Win, at my load bench also. I have over 5,000 LC cases.

Nosler has a service rifle section and Ramshot has online load data for your 62,350 psi Nato Chamber also.

http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/up...dgun_rifle.pdf

http://www.nosler.com/Reloading-Data...69-Grains.aspx

Lake City Brass (Swaged)
CCI450 primers, thicker cups for AR's
IMR 8208 XBR
69 SMK's or 69 Nosler's

work up to 24.0+ grains (Max) to see some really good 300+ yard groups in a 1-9 twist AR

Last edited by A_Gamehog; January 21, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old January 21, 2012, 11:55 AM   #4
243winxb

Link to 223 Rem & 5.56mm

Black Hills Match brass with the 69 Sierra & 68gr Hornady. Sorted by weight & neck turned. Just work up a load using the same brass. 223 or 5.56mm & dies are the same. Rifle chamber are different. Good reading for new owners of AR 15 > http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/223rem/
Old January 21, 2012, 11:55 AM   #5
alloy

In my 1 in 7", 16" barrel...a 69 SMK in mixed headstamp LC, RL-15 @ 25.3 grains, WSR primer, 2.262" has been boringly accurate.
YMMV
Old January 21, 2012, 12:59 PM   #6
golfnutrlv

Thanks everyone. Think I will load in Lake City Brass, start low, and work up as normal until I find an accurate load.

Was just a little worried about it, since my 55gr FMJ loads are not loaded that hot generally.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old January 21, 2012, 04:04 PM   #7
boostedtt91

yeah i just have all my .223/5.56 brass piled together and don't really worry to much about what im using when reloading as far as the brass. I been loading 75G Match Bullets which shoot amazing i must say. Usually in reloading manuals, it will have loading info for .223 or .223 service rifle which is there 5.56 loads. I never load at the max powder charge so there isn't anything to worry about. They are pretty much identicle cases so it really doesn't matter much if you follow the loading book.