The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2012, 08:13 AM   #1
tpcollins

Question on reloading .204 Ruger

Actually the Hornady 32 gr factory ammo shoots pretty well in my Tikka T3 Lite - I should probably see if the 40gr shoots better. I've loaded some 32gr Noslers and 39gr Sierra BK and the SBK shoots much better (better BC as well). I was looking at some 40gr Berger bullets the other day and the width of the boat tail (rear chamfer) was really wide. The 39gr SBK was the narrowest and the Nosler was somewhere in between.

But the case neck on a .204 cartridge is barely .204" long and any amount of chamfer would significantly reduce bullet contact. The Bergers looked like they were alot wider than .060". I have some custom samples coming of 20 cal bullets that have a flat base.

Just wondering in a small caliber like this, how much does the lessening bullet contact have on accuracy? Thanks.
Old January 20, 2012, 08:47 AM   #2
wingman

My Thompson center precision hunter loves the 40gr berger but it has the 1/10 twist, I find no problem loading the longer bullet.
Old January 20, 2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Wyoredman

I only partialy resize my cases, setting the shoulder back only 0.001, so just about 1/2 of the neck is holding the bullet. I also use the Sierea Blitzking 39 gr. and it seems to actually help my accuracy.
Old January 20, 2012, 01:59 PM   #4
tpcollins

"I only partialy resize my cases, setting the shoulder back only 0.001, so just about 1/2 of the neck is holding the bullet. I also use the Sierea Blitzking 39 gr. and it seems to actually help my accuracy".

Wyoredman - I'm having trouble understanding that - could you explain that a bit more? Thanks.
Old January 20, 2012, 03:28 PM   #5
Wyoredman

I adjust my full length die (RCBS) up approximatly 1/8" from the shell holder at top stroke. This keeps the die from completely resizing the neck and case back to factory specs.

Try this with a piece of brass and compare it to one that is full length sized. You will see that the neck is only resized about halfway.

As for the shoulder setback, I think that the die pulls the bras back towards the case head. In reality, since the die is adjusted up 1/8" it shoudn't hit the shoulder at all. But since it is a full length die, and the case body is still getting some resizing, I believe this is where my setback comes? Maybe someone else who understands it better can explain better.

FYI, after I get my die adjusted, I try a case in my gun to make sure it will chamber.

This helps me extend the life of my brass and the accuracy is better than full length resizing.

Here is a youtube video that explains it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUyXZdQ00s0
Old January 20, 2012, 05:02 PM   #6
mrawesome22

As the body gets squezzed it will push the shoulder foward wyroedman.

You are getting some wrong measurements somewhere.
Old January 20, 2012, 05:23 PM   #7
Wyoredman

So, maybe the partial resizing isn't causing any shoulder change? Measureing 0.001 using a Hornady Cartridge Headspace tool in congunction with my Lyman dial calipers does show a 0.001 differance.

Have I been reading it wrong and the shoulder is pushed FORWAD 0.001"? If so, How would a fireformed/partialy resized case fit my chamber if I am pushing the shoulder forward?

I hate to give people the wrong info, but this is what I have been doing with all of my small caliber cartridges after my .220 Swift was eating full length brass after only 3 reloads. Been partial resizing and have fixed the problem.
Old January 20, 2012, 05:56 PM   #8
mrawesome22

Use a case that has been fired 3 or 4 times and neck sized only to get a true initial measurement.
Old January 20, 2012, 06:03 PM   #9
Wyoredman

OK. Seems I need to buy a neck size die. Buying a new die was what I was trying to get away from in the first place with the partial resizing using a full length die i had on hand.

As for the OP's question, the partial sized neck does hold the bullet. Sorry for highjacking your thread. I am learning something also!