The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 19, 2012, 05:49 PM   #1
spearman

Dry Firing Ruger LCP ?

I want to practice dryfiring my LCP with the laser site on to develop steadieness and smooth trigger pull.Is it recommended to do this or will repeated dry firing damage the gun?
Old January 19, 2012, 06:00 PM   #2
lyodbraun

wife has been dry firing hers for quite some time now and have had no issues with hers...
Old January 19, 2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Merad

Check the manual, Ruger usually tells you if it's ok or not. Personally though even when they say it won't hurt, I'd invest $10 in a box of snap caps if you plan large amounts of dry firing.
Old January 19, 2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

Just took a quick look through the manual for my Elsie. I didn't find anywhere mentioning "dry firing" either yes, or no. I guess if they don't specifically warn against it. I also remember reading somewhere that extensive dry firing could cause damage. That is possible just internet opinion however.

Just checked the Ruger website FAQ page: http://www.ruger.com/service/FAQs.html
Quote:
Can I dry fire my Ruger P-Series and .22 pistols?
Yes. All Ruger pistols can be dry fired without damage, and dry firing can be useful to familiarize the owner with the firearm. However, be sure any firearm is completely unloaded before dry firing!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Last edited by Cheapshooter; January 19, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old January 19, 2012, 09:02 PM   #5
12GaugeShuggoth

Quote:
Personally though even when they say it won't hurt, I'd invest $10 in a box of snap caps if you plan large amounts of dry firing.
Exactly, why risk it when the solution is so affordable?

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old January 20, 2012, 02:10 AM   #6
AndyWest

Yep, spearman buy a box of snap caps.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/11351-1.html

They're good for practice firing, testing cycling, firing after cleaning, etc.
Old January 20, 2012, 06:33 AM   #7
Shadi Khalil

If you do decide to buy snap caps (which you should) make sure to get A-Zooms. I've had my A-Zooms for around ten years and they still work great.
Old January 20, 2012, 10:51 AM   #8
Olympus

Dry fire will be completely okay. It won't hurt the gun at all.
Old January 20, 2012, 02:30 PM   #9
tahunua001

Quote:
Just took a quick look through the manual for my Elsie. I didn't find anywhere mentioning "dry firing" either yes, or no. I guess if they don't specifically warn against it. I also remember reading somewhere that extensive dry firing could cause damage. That is possible just internet opinion however.

Just checked the Ruger website FAQ page: http://www.ruger.com/service/FAQs.html

Quote:
Can I dry fire my Ruger P-Series and .22 pistols?
Yes. All Ruger pistols can be dry fired without damage, and dry firing can be useful to familiarize the owner with the firearm. However, be sure any firearm is completely unloaded before dry firing!
that's interesting, the manual for my SR9c says not to dry fire it because the mag disconnect can get damaged. I yanked mine out so now I have no problem dry firing
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old January 20, 2012, 02:58 PM   #10
LockedBreech

I dry fire my LCP all the time, Ruger says it's fine.

Doesn't the SR9c no-dry-fire instruction only apply to firing with the magazine removed, or am I remembering wrong?

Edit:

Wow, that was stupid. If it's a mag safety gun, it won't fire anyway with the magazine out.
Beretta PX4 .40 S&W - Beretta 92FS 9x19 Para - Rock Island Armory GI 1911 .45 ACP - Colt 1968 Detective Special .38 Spc. - Ruger LCP .380 ACP - Daniel Defense M4V1 Carbine 5.56x45 - Alpine Industries M1 Carbine .30 - Steyr-Mannlicher M1895 8x56 - Ruger 10/22 .22LR - Remington 870 Express Tactical 12GA - 1943 Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62x54R
Old January 20, 2012, 04:14 PM   #11
hangglider

I was told by LGS definitely CAN NOT dry fire a Mk II as this would break the striker--somebody is mixed up?
Old January 20, 2012, 05:38 PM   #12
Olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangglider View Post
I was told by LGS definitely CAN NOT dry fire a Mk II as this would break the striker--somebody is mixed up?
MK II is a rimfire. Completely different rules than a centerfire like the LCP. Do not dry fire a rimfire gun if it can be help. Most all centerfire guns are safe to be dry fired.
Old January 20, 2012, 07:55 PM   #13
Merad

Quote:
MK II is a rimfire. Completely different rules than a centerfire like the LCP. Do not dry fire a rimfire gun if it can be help. Most all centerfire guns are safe to be dry fired.
The MkIII has a "safety" (I forget the actual term for it) that prevents the firing pin from going to far forward and makes it safe to dry fire. I'd assume it's in the MkII as well since dry firing is required for disassembly.
Old January 20, 2012, 09:22 PM   #14
orionengnr

Quote:
The MkIII has a "safety" (I forget the actual term for it) that prevents the firing pin from going to far forward and makes it safe to dry fire. I'd assume it's in the MkII as well since dry firing is required for disassembly.
I think you are mistaken.
The fact that dry firing is required for disassembly is not the same as saying that long sessions of dry firing are okay for the pistol.
No rimfire that I know of is okay for extended dry firing...that is a result of the design.
Old January 21, 2012, 12:25 AM   #15
Merad

Quote:
I think you are mistaken.
Nope.

"Firing pin stop" is the term I was missing. See page 20 of the MkIII manual or page 17 of the MkII manual.

"The pistol can be dry fired as long as the firing pin stop is in place."

It's also noted in the reassembly instructions:

"Before sliding the bolt into the receiver, BE CERTAIN that the firing pin stop (part number A03500, a small pin) is in the bolt. (See Figure 10.) Without this pin, the first time the trigger is pulled on an assembled pistol, the firing pin will fly forward so far as to irreparably dent the rear end of the chamber of the barrel, making the pistol useless."

Edit: It's also in the FAQ on Ruger's website...

Quote:
Q: Can I dry fire my Mark III pistol?

Yes. The Mark III has a firing pin stop that prevents the firing pin from contacting the rear of the barrel and damaging the edge of the chamber. If you are going to dry fire the pistol extensively, the stop pin and firing pin will eventually wear and contact could occur, and we recommend replacing both the firing pin and the firing pin stop from time to time. You should also monitor the contact of the firing pin with the rear of the barrel.
Old January 23, 2012, 09:09 PM   #16
will99

I use a snap cap just to be safe.
Old January 24, 2012, 02:27 AM   #17
hangglider

I have snap caps for all my weapons except my LCP--can't seem to find them in any LGS! I like the idea of simulating the round in the chamber as opposed to an empty dry fire.