The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 17, 2012, 09:10 PM   #1
bfskinnerpunk

glock 3rd and 4th gen interchangeability

I see a decent deal on a 4th gen glock 19 (have two glock 19's as it is... and they are 3rd gen).

Do they share common parts?
Can I put the 4th gen slide on a 3rd gen frame?

I know the mags have differences and the double spring system isn't shared.
Old January 17, 2012, 09:15 PM   #2
Nitesites

Don't believe so. The dust cover portion of the frame does not share the same dimensions. But someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

Added : Wait, just reread the question...AFAIK, 3rd gen slide to 4th gen frame = No. 4th gen slide to 3rd gen frame = not sure.
Old January 18, 2012, 05:50 PM   #3
voyager4520

You can't put a Gen4 slide onto the Gen3 frame with the full size and compact models. You can do it with the sub-compacts.

As for what parts are different:
1. The trigger housing, Gen4's have their own trigger housing and the Gen4 9mm models have their own trigger housing.
2. The trigger bar, Gen4's use the same trigger bars as the .45GAP models. You can however use Gen3 trigger bars in Gen4's and vice versa.
3. The magazine catch. Obviously these are not interchangeable between Generations.
4. The guide rods, again this is obvious. However, sub-compacts use the same guide rods between Gen3 and Gen4.
5. The magazines are different. The newest magazines have a cut-out for the magazine catch on both sides of the magazine tube so that you can use them with the Gen4 while the Gen4 magazine catch is set up for left-handed use. As long as the magazine catch is set up for right-handed use, you can use any magazine ever made by Glock.
6. The ejector. The newest Gen4's will have a different ejector. It will be stamped "30274" for 9mm and "28926" for .40/.357. Older Gen4's had the same ejectors that Gen3's do, you don't need to upgrade unless you experience ejection problems.
7. The connector. Early Gen4's used the same connector that Gen3's do, but because of changes to the trigger housing the Gen4's had a heavier trigger pull by about 1/2 a pound. Glock designed a new connector to be used in Gen4's to bring the trigger pull down to the same as Gen3's would have with the standard connector, 5.5lbs. The new connector is called the "dot" connector, and it has a "dot" marking in the same location that you'd see the "-" marking on a minus connector. The various connectors made by Glock can be used in any Glock. I have a "dot" connector in my Gen3 and it works fine.

8. The compact Gen4's: G19, G23, G32 use a different locking block and slide lock spring. So far only glockparts.com sells them.

Gen4 compact locking block: http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156632&CAT=720
Gen4 compact slide lock spring: http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=296241&CAT=741

Last edited by voyager4520; January 18, 2012 at 05:56 PM.