The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2012, 07:52 PM   #1
er775

Hornady V max VS. the new Z max

so I was lookin around on a company website that resembles the mid way locale of the USA and was looking at the V max and the new Z max bullets, since I went out today and bought myself a brand spankin new Remington 700 in 223 rem I have been searching for a suitable powder/bullet combo and came acrossed these two little burisers, now can someone please tell me the difference between the two cause the descriptions were kinda the same but with the Z max it was kinda vague. All I can really tell is the Z max is the V max with a green tip and hyped up for the impending zombie apocolypse

I am also looking at the new CFE 223 powder, if I was to try these new bullets in the 55 gr with cannelure and CFE 223 powder does anyone have a recommendation for how many grains to use, since the powder is also new to the market I havent found very much info on it either.
Old January 17, 2012, 08:31 PM   #2
10 acre woods

It is the same thing but like you said green tip marketing ploy. All heed the zombie hoards breaking down your door. This is the info I found in my research.
Old January 17, 2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

The V-max uses a match grade jacket formed by a conventional cup and core process. The Z-max jacket is formed by a plating process, so it's less expensive. I don't know from personal experience how well that's working for them, but Hornady values its reputation for offering the best accuracy for the dollar, so it is probably pretty good. Like the V-max, it will be an explosively expanding bullet for small varmints and not intended to penetrate larger game than that very well.

For powder data, because this powder is relatively new, the distributor, Hodgdon, is still the only source I know of. For a Speer 55 grain soft point seated to 2.130" COL in a Winchester case with a WSR primer, they list 23.9 grains to start and 25.9 grains maximum. Use that starting load with your bullet choice and work up while watching for pressure signs.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old January 27, 2012, 01:14 AM   #4
stripes3

The Z-Max bullet per Hornady's site uses their new AMP jacketing, which is also the same jacket tech they use on their A-Max match bullets. So it must be a decent technology plated or not. Components aren't getting any cheaper and for the price of the Z-Max bullets, it's hard to beat.

I've also been waiting for the CFE 223 to show up, I'll be trying it out. Maybe it'll show on the shelves about the time my already pre ordered Z-Max's arrive.

Don't raise your nose at my 1 post, I've been reloading for 35 years.

Last edited by stripes3; January 27, 2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old January 27, 2012, 05:03 AM   #5
hounddawg

from what I have been reading the Z max is just a A max with a different colored tip, but I love the pricing. Rumor over on the 204 boards is that the CFE 223 is the powder they are using in the factory ammo and is a very clean burning powder. Buying powder at the brick and mortar stores around here is for the birds due to selection and price but I am hoping to find a pound to play with and if it works in my AR and my 204 I will get a 8 pound jug either through the net or at a gun show
Old January 27, 2012, 07:38 AM   #6
er775

your right the price for z max might be hard to pass up, midway has 500 for around $65 but they are out of stock, so im guessing they are selling as soon as they hit the shelves, and i havent found any cfe 223 anywhere yet besides online at midway also
Old January 27, 2012, 08:43 AM   #7
larzb93

all of the Z series is just a different colored series of hornady rounds called critical defense, great marketing if you think about it. SAVE YOUR MONEY..... although it is a very cool novelty item

Last edited by larzb93; January 27, 2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old January 27, 2012, 09:41 AM   #8
hounddawg

Powder Valley and Midway are selling the the 204's at about a dime a bullet. Can buy 1000 of em for about the same price as 500 Sierra Blitzkings.
Old January 27, 2012, 10:17 AM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Quote:
Rumor over on the 204 boards is that the CFE 223 is the powder they are using in the factory ammo and is a very clean burning powder.
Hm. That would be a bit unfortunate. The highest velocity Hodgdon lists for the 204 is with CFE223. If it's the same powder they're loading in factory ammo, I assume at the same load, it's not going to come close to their published velocity, IME.

I do like the price on the z-max bullets though.... but I keep hearing how super accurate the Sierras are so I've got to try them first.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old January 27, 2012, 10:51 AM   #10
hounddawg

here is a target where I was breaking in my new barrel with the factory Vmaxs the other day. Only 3 shot groups but that top right was the 13th 14th and 15th rounds through the gun. Got 100 of the Vmaxes on order will test them next week with Varget, Tac and RL10x

Old January 27, 2012, 11:07 AM   #11
Sevens

Quote:
Don't raise your nose at my 1 post, I've been reloading for 35 years.
Allow me to be the first to formally at this line. Reloading for 35 years but maybe a bit new to internet discussion forums?

We let our posts speak for ourselves around here. I saw nothing in your post that made me even want to know what your post count was. Seemed like your words fit right in with most of the people who share ideas here.

But nobody asked for your resume!
Old January 27, 2012, 01:10 PM   #12
er775

Oh I wont raise my nose , cause I dont have many posts either and I am somewhat new to reloading, I`ve been around it for many years but just bought my first press a few months ago and just started loading on my own.
Old January 27, 2012, 10:09 PM   #13
Jim243

At first I thought this was a joke, "Zombie Bullets"???? Then I went to Honady's web site and then MidwayUSA, someone in their marketing department has been drinking way too much transmission fluid.

Guess I'll have to switch to Sierra or Nosler for some serious target and hunting bullets. Honady has sure lost their minds.

Jim
Old January 27, 2012, 11:00 PM   #14
Unclenick
Staff

Actually I'm not sure Hornady started this zombie pop-culture thing. I believe it was TV shows and movies. What took me by surprise was the CDC embracing it as a method of teaching emergency preparedness.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old January 28, 2012, 12:30 PM   #15
cubdad67

I have 1lb of CFE223 and have some test loads. I have not gotten to the range with them but hope to soon. As for the z-max I found midsouthshooters have the for $54 for 500. I ordered some to try out. Every one seems to be on back order thou. Pm me if you want the load info.
Old January 28, 2012, 06:53 PM   #16
er775

cubdad sent you a pm
Old February 3, 2012, 08:29 AM   #17
nitro-express

CFE 223 in my 22-250

I tried it and it seems ok. My load was a Sierra 52 HPBT @ 2.350 over 37.5 gr of CFE 223 and a Rem 9 1/2M. Accuracy is good, pressure appears very consistent (primers and expansion) and the barrel appears clean. Will try 38 gr next. It's a pretty powder, shinny silvery color and it meters very well.

How do you spell success, a decent product and good marketing---Z-MAX.
Old February 4, 2012, 06:59 PM   #18
er775

cool nitro,,I went to Des Moines the other day and looked at Scheels, Bass Pro and Sportsmans and nobody had the CFE 223 in stock yet, so I settled for some H335 instead, still no luck finding any of those Zmax` in stock anywhere either
Old February 29, 2012, 10:10 PM   #19
4T4MAG

I actually called Hornady today, they told me the bullets are made exactly the same with a match grade jacket as the V MAX. The only diff is the green ZOMBIE tip.
Old March 2, 2012, 09:35 PM   #20
Unclenick
Staff

That's odd. It's not what their web site says, and I don't see why just changing tip color would make it any cheaper to manufacture and sell. Something funny about that information.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old March 4, 2012, 01:26 AM   #21
NESHOOTER

Quote:
That's odd. It's not what their web site says, and I don't see why just changing tip color would make it any cheaper to manufacture and sell. Something funny about that information.
It could be a way to indulge the masses then give us the whammy and charge full price. But again its is just my thought.
Old March 4, 2012, 02:17 AM   #22
jagwire

I'd probably choose the Z-Max because I heard that the V-maxes dont work as well on zombies.
Old March 4, 2012, 08:29 AM   #23
p5200

Anyone tried the Benchmark powder with the V-Maxes? Just curious, as I have had great success using Sierra 32gr. BK. with Benchmark. I've been loading for my CZ 527 .204 Varmint in Kevlar stock. I ordered some 32gr. V-Maxes but, haven't tried any loads with any, brand of powder yet still waiting for spring. Enjoy your new rifle! Oh not again I just realized your talking .223 it sucks getting old sorry.
Old March 4, 2012, 09:04 AM   #24
4T4MAG

I thought it was really weird also, I am going to call Hornady again, he said it was nothing more than Zombie marketing.

I just cut a Z Max and an V Max open and the wall and base measurements are exactly the same.
Old March 4, 2012, 10:21 AM   #25
Unclenick
Staff

I'm not surprised the thicknesses match, but the site (or maybe it was the catalog) said a plating process was used in the Z-max. Match jacket cups tend to be expensive because of the uniformity requirement, so I can see why they'd look for an alternative if they found one they could make work. Hornady has always kept cost down and quality good.

See if you can tell a difference in how well the lead is stuck to the jacket on the inside?
NRA Benefactor Member