The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 16, 2012, 10:00 PM   #1
ftballgod

how much is the value affected

if a gun has an ID number electro-penciled into the side of it. how much would that affect the value of the gun?
Old January 16, 2012, 10:06 PM   #2
johnwilliamson062

usually that is a Curio and relic import. Kills the value compared to those without them.
Old January 16, 2012, 10:12 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Depends on the gun and its attributes (rarity, special features, etc.).

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 16, 2012, 10:15 PM   #4
littlmak

If the gun is new enough to have a serial #, you shouldn't need another name or # etched into the gun. Just take pics of the gun(s) including serial #'s and burn the pics onto a CD for Insurance or theft ID. The thing about etching your name into it (unless you're famous) is nobody else (well very few) will want that gun if you decide to sell it.
Old January 17, 2012, 09:31 AM   #5
hpg

My father in law was bad about doing that....told my wife her mom probably has his initials tatooed on her.....

The effect is up to you, if you are getting it to resell it depends on the buyer. Hard to answer this question.......hpg
Old January 17, 2012, 09:47 AM   #6
Adamantium

Or do you mean like a police case number/evidence number? That'll take some value out of a gun. How much? Who knows. It's all based on what people will offer you.
Old January 17, 2012, 03:39 PM   #7
dgludwig

Quote:
Or do you mean like a police case number/evidence number? That'll take some value out of a gun.
Unless, say, it was John Dillinger's gun. Then a "police case/evidence number" might actually add to the value of a gun. Much depends on the individual circumstance of any alteration/defacing.
Old January 17, 2012, 04:20 PM   #8
Skans

It screws it up pretty bad. Bottom line, once I see that on just about any nice gun, I'm simply not interested.

Now, if the gun is a beater and I'm buying it to carry and/or blast with, I might not mind, but that means I'm looking to pay "used tool-price" for it.
Old January 17, 2012, 04:28 PM   #9
BigJimP

It could destroy the value 100% ...depending on how visible it is ...

It used to be common - to scratch a Drivers License number or something on guns / and its a shame.
Old January 17, 2012, 04:39 PM   #10
dsk

Plenty of former USGI 1911 pistols have been defaced in such fashion over the years. Normally it takes a huge chunk out of the value, no matter how nice the pistol is otherwise.
Old January 17, 2012, 04:43 PM   #11
kinggabby

All working guns that the value has been destroyed need to sent to me for proper uummmmmm . I would not care as long as they are in good condition and shoot good.
Old January 17, 2012, 06:23 PM   #12
bedbugbilly

I can remember at one time, some municipalities (police depts.) thought it would be a good idea if your Driver's License # was etched on anything of value. I'm from MI and I can remember the Sheriff's Dept. recommending this when you registered you hand gun. I haven't heard of it for years though.

That said, personally, I might consider purchasing a handgun/long gun with it IF it was under the grip or somewhere that it wasn't visible. If it was visible, I'd walk away from it as it would have no appeal to me. I have seen a numbrer of Colts, S & Ws, etc. that are old/vintage where the owner's name was ENGRAVED on it - that would be a different story or if it was a PD gun that had PD stampings such as department or issue number. But a driver's license or a social security # etched on is just a big turn off as far as I'm concerned. Just my humble opinion though . . . ..
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 17, 2012, 06:25 PM   #13
James K
Staff

Many police departments and other well-intentioned folks have urged people to electric pencil their SSN's on personal property, not realizing that doing so would destroy the value of some items and also that the property might be legally sold at a later date. It is too bad, but in most cases a gun with a name or SSN electric pencilled into it has almost no value, even as a working gun. Worse, it can raise a red flag to any police officer who sees it, because of the possibility that the gun may be stolen.

Jim
Old January 17, 2012, 06:30 PM   #14
lamarw

I am not aware of these being evidence guns markings, but it would not surprise. It seems a lot law enforcement activities etch guns with their property identification numbers.

As someone else mentioned it depends on the gun. I bought a former law enforcement shotgun with a property number etched on the receiver. It polished right off with little difficulty. I then coated over the small area it was on. You have to know it was there to find the spot. This would not be so easy with a lot of other guns.

I suspect it would reduce the condition evaluation by 50% if all other conditions were 90% or bettter. On a collectible gun, It would most likely destroy its collectibility unless it has strong provenance as others mentioned.
Old January 17, 2012, 10:44 PM   #15
old bear

[QUOTE]I can remember at one time, some municipalities (police depts.) thought it would be a good idea if your Driver's License # was etched on anything of value. I'm from MI and I can remember the Sheriff's Dept. recommending this when you registered you hand gun. I haven't heard of it for years though.[QUOTE]

That was a huge fad back in the 1970's mark everything of value with your S/S #. It was well meant but for any number of reasons you don't want to do that today. For years I did remove the right grip of all my handguns and etch in the last 4 digits of my S/S on the frame. Good I.D. for stolen, but nothing that would mark it up enough that anyone but the most rabid collector would complain.

As for evidence markings. I always removed the right grip and etched my three digit badge number on the frame. Perfectly legal way to I.D. for court, and did not put any noticeable markings on any evidence.