The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2012, 09:41 AM   #1
compglock17

Reloading area temp?

I have recently had to move my reloading bench to a "back room" of the house. This room is great in that it is out of the way and offers less distraction; however, it is significantly colder than the rest of the house. I am looking for your opinions as to how this will affect my reloading and if I should throw a small space heater in there. I have found that my scale zero will change, very slightly, now that its in the new room. What are your thoughts on the temp of a reloading area?
Old January 9, 2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Unless significantly colder means 30 to 50 or more degrees colder than where you were loading before, it's not going to affect your loading at all.

And then, even if it were well below freezing in your reloading room, its very likely that any effect would be minimal and virtually unobservable at best.

If you're uncomfortable, add some supplemental heat.

Otherwise, don't worry about it, other than rezeroing your scale.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 9, 2012, 10:06 AM   #3
compglock17

Thanks Mike. Its not that much colder, maybe 10-15 degrees, so I wont worry about it and just stay diligent on checking the scale (which I do anyhow)!
Old January 9, 2012, 10:18 AM   #4
rbursek

Just adding a couple 300 watt helogen lights will warm that room up!!! I have 2 over my ski waxing bench in the garage, they look like the 48" flourecent shop lights but have 2 300 watt halogen tubes in them, I have 2 of them and warms things up nicely.
Old January 9, 2012, 01:36 PM   #5
primerman

Save your money, just put on a jacket.
Old January 9, 2012, 05:22 PM   #6
Steviewonder1

At my last house the Reloading Room was in the terrace level of the house and maintained at 70 degrees and around 55% humidity. My current off premise storage facility room is climate controlled at 72 degrees and 45% humidity. Cold temps down thru 40 degrees should not be an issue. I always re-zero my scale prior to making any measurements and have just purchased a brand now Digital one with a zero button on it. Good Luck reloading.
Old January 9, 2012, 05:56 PM   #7
compglock17

Thanks guys. I don’t mind the cooler room, I rather like it! Just wondered if it would affect anything, now I know.
Old January 9, 2012, 06:55 PM   #8
Roughedge

ya, when I'm running my 550 at full throtle I breakout a sweat and wish it was a little cooler in the gun room.
Old January 9, 2012, 08:22 PM   #9
ltc444

My concern would not be on the propellant. I would be concerned about the effect of cold on your scales. Cold could affect affect the movement of the scale and cause you to overload your charges. When loading to max pressures with a propellant like Bullseye you could have some problems.

The movie Ice Station Zebra had an excellent discussion on the effects of extreme cold on the ballistics of the 5.56mm round. From apractical stand point it doesn't really matter.
Old January 9, 2012, 09:24 PM   #10
hk33ka1

I would worry about dies, molds and other tools rusting since you are not in Arizona. Keep an eye out on bare metal parts for this.
Old January 10, 2012, 12:09 AM   #11
dacaur

As long you your scales are stored there and you zero them, you will have no problem, dont store them in the warm house then take them back and start loading.... My reloading area is in the non-climate controlled basement, this time of year its 40-50F..... in the summer it can get into the 80's (but normaly in the 70's)..... Never had an issue...
Old January 13, 2012, 05:31 PM   #12
compglock17

I was worried about the scale! It is stored and has been zeroed in the room in question so it sounds like I will be good to go! I never thought about the dies HK! Thanks for the tip! Thanks again guys!
Old January 13, 2012, 07:04 PM   #13
dacaur

my frankford arsenal digital scale has acted wonky a few times when its gotten down around 45F in my basement and I tough it out and reload... After someone mentioned it I checked the manual and it says "operating temp 50-86F".... Well, that explains that.....
Old January 14, 2012, 08:49 AM   #14
flashhole

I load in my basement too. In the winter the temp can get down to the low 40s if it stays significantly below freezing outside for any length of time. I have heat in the basement and use it occassionally but I like it to be cool. I can always put on another shirt. The bigger problem is in the summer when the humidity starts to climb. One of my best investments in recent memory was a good dehumidifier. I ran the drain tube to a floor drain so I don't have to screw around with the bucket. Keeping the room dry is more important than keeping it warm.
Old January 14, 2012, 06:50 PM   #15
savagelover

From what I have heard and that was from Lyman..That if your using an electronic scale..The cold may very well effect it...As far as a balance beam you should be ok....
Old January 14, 2012, 07:46 PM   #16
DarthNul

I mostly use an RCBS digital scale. I don't see temp changes in my basement affecting it, but I do leave it on for a while and then calibrate it before using it.

What I do see affecting my scale is an electric space heater kicking on and off. That can throw things of more than a few tenths of a grain. I warm up the room first and then turn the heater off to calibrate and load.
Old January 14, 2012, 08:06 PM   #17
Don P

If you're comfy then the ammo will be comfy
Old January 14, 2012, 08:13 PM   #18
m&p45acp10+1

My reloading area is inside my apartment. I keep it in the mid 70s year round. Comfy temp for me to reload at.