The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Pick your favorite 1911 manufacturer
Kimber 16 11.35%
Sig 9 6.38%
Colt 82 58.16%
Springfield 34 24.11%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 13, 2012, 10:24 AM   #1
TRDFurgesson

Which commander size 1911

Going to pick up a 4" 1911. Need to decide on a manufacturer. I'm only considering these four manufacturers.

A Glock that is not maintained will last, a Glock that is maintained will last a long time, and a Glock that is well maintained will last longer than you will.
Old January 13, 2012, 10:38 AM   #2
zincwarrior

All are good. There was an article in Gun Tests comparing all of these. I think SIG won by a hair. If I remember correctly the Springfield is a bit heavier, but is cheaper.

EDIT: Of these I've know two people with the Kimber 4" pistols. Both enjoyed them thoroughly and had no problems with them, at all. I own a Kimber ultra carry. Although a different barrel, my experience with the Kimber has been extremely positive. From it and their pistols I'd say excellent trigger, very accurate, and relatively light weight. The downside with the Kimber is you have to change out the spring every 1,000 - 1,800 rounds (not sure what point for the 4" variant).

Last edited by zincwarrior; January 13, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old January 13, 2012, 10:42 AM   #3
plouffedaddy

Mine's been great. I've only had 1 FTF through a couple hundred rounds, and that was in my first magazine... It has a good trigger and standard night sights. I'd buy it again for sure.
Old January 13, 2012, 10:47 AM   #4
TacticalDefense1911

The best 1911 for the money is a Dan Wesson IMO. Fit and finish of a custom gun for production gun money as well as top of the line internal parts. These guns are hand fitted. They aren't cheap by any stretch of the imagination but you won't find a better gun until you crack the $2k-$3k range. Dan Wesson sells the V-bob and the Guardian. They also sell a CCO which is a commander slide on a officer frame; great for CCW. You can find the discontinued C-bob or Classic Bobtail used as well which is a beautiful gun. You'll be looking at an investment of around $1300-$1500 for these guns.

If you want something less expensive I'd suggest the Springfield Loaded Champion or if you want something with a rail the Springfield Champion Operator. Springfields have nice fit and finish and seem to run very well. Fit and finish is not going to be near that of a Dan Wesson but still pretty good. I've found that Springfield triggers usually need a little work out of the box. I like Kimbers but their quality is hit or miss. I've not been impressed with the Sigs I've owned. I've never owned a Smith because the fit is always so bad on them when I pick one up but I hear they run good.
Old January 13, 2012, 11:01 AM   #5
TRDFurgesson

Nice Champion

I am only considering front strap checkering frames. 4" TRP's are RARE and expensive. I don't care for the alternative textures like on kimbers raptor.

A Glock that is not maintained will last, a Glock that is maintained will last a long time, and a Glock that is well maintained will last longer than you will.

Last edited by TRDFurgesson; January 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old January 13, 2012, 11:19 AM   #6
TacticalDefense1911

If you are considering TRP money then I'd definitely look at a Dan Wesson. Better parts and better fit and finish.
Old January 13, 2012, 11:20 AM   #7
Nanuk

I voted Kimber. I have an older one and aside from a worn out slide stop I replaced with an Ed Brown it has been flawless and accurate.
Old January 13, 2012, 11:21 AM   #8
Officer's Match

Not much to choose from in a commander 1911 with frontstrap checkering...

I would either go with a RIA and have a smith add the FS checkering, or step up to a Les Baer Commanche. Obviously thats a big gap. Otherwise you are stuck with a Kimber (not my choice these days, especially for the $) or a Sig (which I personally don't care for).

Last edited by Officer's Match; January 13, 2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: showed up blank the first time (?)
Old January 13, 2012, 11:21 AM   #9
zombieslayer

Dan Wesson Guardian or Vbob far outclasses the four you listed, imo. My Vbob is my favorite gun. And you'll love the front checkering. All around beautiful perfoming guns.
But from your list- Colt!
Old January 13, 2012, 11:32 AM   #10
overkill0084

Not listed: Dan Wesson. Guardian
I have a CCO & a PM7. Well built, accurate & reliable. FWIW, their customer service was helpful on the PM7, even though it was a used purchase and out of warranty.
If Dan Wesson isn't even open to consideration, then Colt.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old January 13, 2012, 11:40 AM   #11
Olympus

If you want a commander 1911, Dan Wesson is the only way to go.
Old January 13, 2012, 11:53 AM   #12
KC Rob

I own a Kimber Pro Carry 4" and is has been flawless and is very accurate. It is my favorite handgun by far. It does not have checkering on the front strap.

FWIW I held a Dan Wesson at the LGS this past week and could not get past how uncomfortable and aggressive the checkering on the front strap was. I have heard that DW uses 25 LPI on their guns but there is no way that this was 25 LPI, it was like holding a cheese grater. Supposedly their older guns had 16 or 17 LPI, but this was a new gun so I don't know what the actual LPI was. It would be a deal breaker for me though. Besides, why so much talk about the DW's? The OP says I am only considering these 4 brands and everybody disregards that completely.

Last edited by KC Rob; January 13, 2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old January 13, 2012, 11:58 AM   #13
Aguila Blanca

Just to be pedantic (because that's what I do), a 4-inch 1911 is NOT a "Commander-size" pistol. A Commander has a 4-1/4" barrel and uses a conventional barrel bushing. Colt and Sig offer guns in this configuration. Kimber and Springfield do not.
Old January 13, 2012, 12:01 PM   #14
TGReaper

Which commander size 1911

My first choice is not on your list,but you can not do better that the STI Ranger 11.
TGR
Old January 13, 2012, 12:12 PM   #15
overkill0084

Quote:
Besides, why so much talk about the DW's? The OP says I am only considering these 4 brands and everybody disregards that completely.
No, not "completely." My post and several others not only listed an alternative, but also picked from the list.

What, you got a problem with Dan Wesson?
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old January 13, 2012, 12:23 PM   #16
KC Rob

AB is correct, but "mid-sized" 1911's are often referred to as "commander" sized 1911. While not as egregious as the clip/magazine misnomer, I can see how it can be irritating. The OP actually said "commander" in his title and 4" 1911 in his post, so he was covering his bases.
Old January 13, 2012, 12:25 PM   #17
KC Rob

Quote:
No, not "completely." My post and several others not only listed an alternative, but also picked from the list.

What, you got a problem with Dan Wesson?
OK, I may have overgeneralized with "completely"....and yes I do have a problem with Dan Wesson, a BIG problem! My problem is I am too poor to buy one right now and it ticks me off! You got a problem with THAT!
Old January 13, 2012, 01:31 PM   #18
zombieslayer

The Giardian isnt priced too badly considering its quality.
Old January 13, 2012, 01:36 PM   #19
3kgt2nv

i own several and for the features included on a stock gun the springfield in my opinion gives you more than the others at a better price.
Old January 13, 2012, 03:40 PM   #20
Olympus

Why Dan Wesson? Because none of the above choices can hold a candle to this. And it's also a 10mm!

Exhibition quality 1911 grips!
Old January 13, 2012, 03:48 PM   #21
loose_holster_dan

KIMBER is TRASH. just sayin....
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old January 13, 2012, 03:50 PM   #22
TacticalDefense1911

Quote:
KIMBER is TRASH. just sayin....
Wow, that added alot to the conversation.
Old January 13, 2012, 03:53 PM   #23
hpg

My son recently aquired a new Kimber Pro Carry II in 4inch. sweet shooter. hpg
Old January 13, 2012, 04:06 PM   #24
KyJim

Difficult question to answer in the abstract. With a specific budget in mind, you then have to ask which options you really want and which are "optional." I'm not a Kimber fan. I have a Sig 1911 (4.25 in. barrel), a Springfield 1911 (5 in. barrel), and more than one Colt (3.5 to 5 inch barrels). So, I'm comfortable with any of these.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old January 13, 2012, 04:07 PM   #25
540EdgeFlyer

I'd get the Colt, or the Springfield. I got the Springfield Loaded myself, and it's been FLAWLESS so far on every kind of ammo I've fed it, with Zero malfunctions. It feels good, it shoots great, and the Trigger is fantastic. Lifetime Warranty on the Gun, and Legendary Customer Service.

Think long, and hard about those last two attributes before you lay your money down.

Here's mine

Have fun with whatever you decided to get!

Tags
1911 , colt , kimber , sig , springfield