The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 9, 2012, 12:43 PM   #1
dabluesguy

Chasing brass

I was watching a YouTube video of a guy shooting USPSA matches and he shot 5 or 6 mags per stage and was moving all over the range. The ground all around him was littered with 45 or 40 or whatever size empties. Do you guys retrieve your own casings after each stage or after the match? I reload and am pretty anal about getting my brass back. How do you do it? Also I thought that those matches were awesome. Would love to try it.
Old January 9, 2012, 01:18 PM   #2
SG29736

At most monthly matches the other shooters tape and reset targets and pick up brass between shooters. At larger matches the brass is left on the ground till later, you may not get it back. The best way to insure that you get most of your brass is to have a buddy shooting on your squad and both of you try to round up the brass for each other. But, as you saw you are bound to lose some because you're not standing and shooting in one place, you are moving all over. The matches are a lot of fun. Mark
Old January 9, 2012, 02:11 PM   #3
MrBorland

Quote:
How do you do it?
Shoot a moonclipped revolver
Old January 9, 2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Artsville

yeah..it's tough to get all your brass back even in the local matches. I get about 50-60% if i am lucky. I mark my brass different colors so i know right away it's mine or not. However usually they try and keep the squads moving fairly quickly so you don't get much time to pick up brass.

I usually wait till the day is over and sort thru the brass on the range.

It's hard to be not so anal about brass.........

art
Old January 9, 2012, 02:23 PM   #5
ammo.crafter

brass lost

My brass (45acp) is color coded around the primer area. Makes it easily identifiable when going thru large amounts of brass after a match clean up.
Old January 9, 2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Steviewonder1

My range uses one of those new brass picker-uppers that looks like a football. They scour every range after the match, sort and separate into baggies of 250 each and re-sell them at a very low price at the next match. You can also go pick up yours if you wish. This is an easy way to help the range/club keep match prices and operating prices low and a way for non members to give something back to the range.
Old January 10, 2012, 09:19 AM   #7
Adamantium

Here is a link to the Brass Mower website, if anyone is interested. http://www.brassmower.com/ A shooter here has one but it hasn't really caught on at matches. I've thought of getting one for myself because I like to pick up a lot of brass. At matches though it just seems more trouble than it is worth because while it is easy it isn't as fast as three guys picking up 20-30 casings, and then the first couple people have to sort out all the 22lr, steel casings and military surplus to find their brass.
Old January 11, 2012, 11:05 AM   #8
Don P

Quote:
How do you do it?
Sharpe's marker and make a line across the bottom of the case in the color of your choice. Most of the guys I shoot with that are shooting 38 super mark there brass for easier recognition
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 11, 2012, 12:06 PM   #9
dabluesguy

That's funny cuz I already use a Sharpie on my 9mm brass. A friend that I shoot with shoots a 380 and we don't reload them so it saves a little time when picking up brass at the end of the day. We ignore the 380.
Old January 11, 2012, 03:34 PM   #10
RickB

When I started shooting USPSA, squad-mates would pick up your brass and return it to you, but today, picking brass is generally done in whatever downtime there may be between stages, or after the match. When a lot of people were shooting .38 Super and Super Comp, they wanted to get their own brass back, but now that so many people are shooting relatively cheap and plentiful 9mm, lots of people seem to be happy to leave it on the ground.