The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 29, 2011, 06:38 PM   #1
level10

wolf primers

I recently found a sale ad for wolf primers (non corrosive) 19.99 for a brick . Has anyone had experience with these good or bad ?
Old December 29, 2011, 06:54 PM   #2
solitude127

A friend is using them for 223 and he had 5 duds out of 200 the last time we went out
Old December 29, 2011, 08:32 PM   #3
Turf

I've loaded 2000 without any issues at all and have another 2000 sitting on my bench and will use them without hesitation -
Old December 29, 2011, 09:01 PM   #4
Marco Califo

You would be paying too much; try Powder Valley

Item No. Description In Stock Our Price Buy
WOL209 * WOLF 209 SHOTSHELL PRIMERS - per 1000 Yes $26.00
WOLLP * WOLF LARGE PISTOL PRIMERS (KVB45)- per 1000 Yes $15.50
WOLLPM * WOLF LARGE PISTOL MAGNUM PRIMERS (KVB45M)- per 1000 Out of Stock $15.50
WOLLR * WOLF LARGE RIFLE PRIMERS (KVB7)- per 1000 Yes $16.00
WOLLRM * WOLF LARGE RIFLE MAGNUM PRIMERS (KVB7M)- per 1000 Out of Stock $24.00
WOLSPM * WOLF SMALL PISTOL MAGNUM PRIMERS (KVB9M)- per 1000 Out of Stock $20.00
WOL223 * WOLF 223 PRIMERS (KVB223M)- per 1000 Yes $15.50
WOLSR * WOLF SMALL RIFLE PRIMERS (KVB223)- per 1000 Yes $15.50
WOLSRM * WOLF SMALL RIFLE MAGNUM PRIMERS (KVB556M)- per 1000 Yes $15.50
Old December 29, 2011, 09:13 PM   #5
USCS

I used 'em loading .40 cal range loads. Glock and Browning ate them with no problem, the Sig 229 however choked, badly. I usually had to double strike 2 rounds per mag. I switched to federal primers and no problems since.
Old December 29, 2011, 10:37 PM   #6
level10

wolf primers

I think i am going to go for it the store is close so i dont have to order and pay shipping or hazmat fees . if i have good results i will post. thanks for the replies.
Old December 29, 2011, 11:00 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Wolf primers are the same KVB primers also sold under the TulAmmo label, except that TulAmmo also imports their NATO spec KVB762 primer and a couple sizes of Berdan primer. So if one brand is out of stock, sometimes the other still has it.

I find these primers are a little harder to seat than some other brands. There seems to be more interference fit. When a primer is harder to seat, if you don't have a seating tool with a lot of leverage you can easily be fooled into failing to seat them fully, and that will lead to ignition failures. Seat them hard, then use your finger tip to verify they are below flush with the case head.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old December 29, 2011, 11:03 PM   #8
markdoddridge

Wolf are great, i use tula too. Got a few thousand of each when graffs had them for $17 a brick
Old December 29, 2011, 11:19 PM   #9
Adamantium

I have had good results with their large pistol primers. No problems through my first thousand. They are a bit of a chore to seat with a hand primer though. With their small pistol I have had 1 light strike with a gun with factory strength hammer spring and several with my gun that has a reduced weight hammer spring. The sample size for that is around 500. Oddly the small pistol seat very easily.
Old December 30, 2011, 12:31 AM   #10
chris in va

I will *never* use Wolf pistol primers again. Doesn't matter how hard I seat them in 9mm, one in ten won't go off despite repeated pin hits.

On the plus side it makes for good practice doing rack/bang drills in IDPA.

Understand this is the second box I've used. Tried them once a couple years ago, had misfires but was told I probably didn't seat them hard enough.

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice...
Old December 30, 2011, 08:15 AM   #11
hodaka

I've got 1000 Wolf SR left out of a 5000 order last year. I use the regular small rifle in my AR's, 357, 38, 9mm Glock, Maks and my 6.8. Not a single failure yet. Pretty darn good for $15 a box. I have also used about 1000 LR in my 45's and have not had a problem. I consider them a very good value and will buy more.
Old January 5, 2012, 02:10 PM   #12
jhansman

I'm working through a brick of their large pistol primers that are resulting in 3-5 duds per 100. Once I've used them up I won't be buying anymore.
Old January 5, 2012, 02:25 PM   #13
45_auto

I've been using them for the past year or so, haven't had any problems at all. Zero misfires, zero FTF.

Hard to beat for 15.50/1000 from Widener's. I use the small rifle primers in place of small pistol since I haven't been able to get small pistol.

I've gone through a little over 10,000 Wolf Large Pistol in the last year in .45 ACP with no problems at all. They've been primarily fired through a Kimber 1911, a Colt 1911, and my son's Para 1911.

I've also used up probably about 2000 loaded into .44 Magnum and .45 Colt through a variety of S&W's and Rugers.

I've gone through a little over 5000 Wolf Small Rifle loaded into 9mm, .38 Special, and .357 Magnum pistol loads. Most of the 9mm fired through a Glock 19 and a couple of Glock 17's, with some through a Kel-Tec Sub2000. The .38's and .357's through S&W's.

I load on a Dillon 650, you can feel the primers seat on the downstroke of the ram. The Wolf LP primers don't seem to seat quite as smoothly as the Winchester LP primers I used previously, but they work perfectly. Can't tell any difference at all between the Wolf small rifle and Winchester small pistol.

Last edited by 45_auto; January 5, 2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old January 5, 2012, 03:42 PM   #14
serf 'rett

No problems, no failures and seem to have a slight edge in some of my loads. Closer holes make a happy shooter.

They do take more pressure to seat with my RCBS hand primer; however, every one of them has lit the powder in my stock pistols.
Old January 5, 2012, 05:44 PM   #15
dagger dog

The only problem I encountered with Wolf LP primers was their size, for some reason the were VERY hard to seat into new and resized 45 Colt cases from Remington and Winchester.

I had to use a primer crimp remover to make a small radius (remove material) on the edge of the primer pocket, once that was done they seated as any other brand.
Old January 5, 2012, 10:39 PM   #16
primerman

I've had as many failures with the so-called good stuff and the cheap ones. If you like em and the price is right then just keep on using which ever is the cheapest. I own a bullet puller for the one or two that don't fire.
Old January 6, 2012, 01:36 AM   #17
ragwd

I guess I must be lucky. I bought a brick of 5000 from Wideners back when there was a shortage and they were the only thing I could get. I felt lucky to get them at the time. I have went though almost half of them and no failures yet. I will buy them again.
Old January 6, 2012, 09:47 AM   #18
Unclenick
Staff

Jhansman,

If you look at the posts just after your own and based on my own experience, I think the problem is most likely the primers aren't seating fully enough to quite get the anvil feet properly planted, much less to set the bridge properly (see this article; it contains other things handloaders should know about primers). The hard seating makes that easy to have happen and can result in misfires. I have some IMI match .45 ACP brass that has slightly tighter than normal primer pockets and would not let me fully seat the KVB primers (Wolf or Tula) even with very hard seating effort. I ran them all through my Dillon crimp swager and that was the end of the problem. The Wilson trimmer's profile cutter does the prettiest job of making a smooth seating primer pocket, leaving an almost polished looking surface, and leaves the pocket with the very least seating effort I've encountered, but it is way slower going.

If you don't have a crimp swager or a pocket profile reamer/cutter available, try just pressing a wood chamfering tool against the edges of the pocket and turning it lightly a few times to chamfer the edge of the pocket back a little, then seat very firmly. Ideally the primers will be three to five thousandths below flush with the case head when you are done.

Every now and again, especially with tuned guns, you'll run into one that hits lightly. A revolver with a few turns taken off the mainspring to lighten double action or a 1911 with an extra light weight hammer or a titanium firing pin can sometimes fail to strike as hard as all primers like. In that case going to Federal standard pistol primers is usually the cure, as they are more sensitive. If you have a gun that hits on the light side, that's probably your best path to reliability.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member

Last edited by Unclenick; January 6, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old January 6, 2012, 09:56 AM   #19
Slamfire

Whether Wolf primers are good for you depends on the robustness of your firearm ignition system.

These Russian primers are as close as you can get to “mil spec” primers, outside of CCI #41’s and CCI #34’s. Military primers are less sensitive than commercial. Military firearms often have free floating firing pins, as in the Makarov Russian pistol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makarov_pistol, high cyclic rates, so insensitive primers are needed or the weapon will slamfire. Good military weapons always have robust ignition systems, the things need to operate in world wide conditions and in environments, which anyone who had any sense, would stay home.

Unfortunately civilian weapon systems are often so poorly designed that the amount of energy on the primer is marginal even with new mainsprings. In these firearms you have to use very sensitive primers or the things won’t go bang.

I don't have a striker ignition pistol, but I believe that given a reasonable trigger pull, the mechanical linkages, and the mainspring strength you are working against, I just don't see how these things would have as a robust firing system as one with a hammer.

An interesting article on just how the “bottom line” has lead to marginal poor designs, read this: http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...t-go-bang.html

If you have a firearm with a marginal ignition system mil spec primers are not for you. You will have misfires, particularly in cold weather.

I used Wolf and Tula Primers in my Garand and Mauser Match rifle. All went bang and I was very pleased with the accuracy.
Old January 6, 2012, 11:48 AM   #20
Unclenick
Staff

The Russians are very big on match shooting, though. On the continent on the other side of the Atlantic in general being a top shot is much more prestigious than it is here, and they have fans and groupies and applause wherever they compete. I think the reason the KVB primers produce such extremely consistent muzzle velocities probably comes out out of that history. That makes me doubt they'd make at least their standard small pistol primers to be too hard for any of the high end European .32 target pistols or the hammerless Tokarev designs, or their standard large rifle too hard for 6.5×55 or 7.62×51 bolt guns. But then, I also don't know if Wolf and Tula are actually importing the whole Russian line, either. Perhaps they make separate match primers?
NRA Benefactor Member
Old January 7, 2012, 04:05 PM   #21
level10

wolf primers

so i went ahead and got the primers loaded 50 rounds yesterday tested with no problems all fired perfectly out of 2 different ars they were a little harder to seat than most but functioned perfectly
Old January 7, 2012, 05:23 PM   #22
primerman

Alright, then Wolf it is...
Old January 7, 2012, 09:54 PM   #23
CPTMurdoc30

I have 9300 of them left.

I use thin in my AR and in my 308 target rifle.

They work great accuracy never changed and I didn't have to change the powder charge at all.
Old January 15, 2012, 11:27 AM   #24
FatWhiteMan

I use Wolf small pistol and small magnum rifle exclusively now in case lots. I don't have any F-T-F.

I have a box of large pistol that I haven't tried yet.

Wideners use to recommend Wolf small magnum rifle for AR15 and Small Rifle for .223 and benchrest shooting. However, Wolf is making a dedicated .223 primer now to be used in place of SRM for the AR15.
Old January 15, 2012, 12:11 PM   #25
res45

I've been using the Wolf SP,LR and SRM primer for quiet some time now with no issues,I plan to pick up a several K of each type I use when I do my next PV order.