The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 8, 2012, 04:30 PM   #1
boostedtt91

S&W SW9VE Won't Open, Live Round in Chamber. Help

Ok i need some help. I out out shooting my 9mm sigma SW9VE today and i fired a shot and went to shoot the next round and nothing happened. So i went to eject the round and the slide won't open. The Slide is stuck about 3/4" cocked and has a live round in the chamber. There is a small piece of the bottom the slide that broke off somehow First off, how can i get this live round out of the chamber if the slide won't budge.

2nd how does a chunk of the metal slide break off? My guess is it broke off and fell into the gun which is causing it to not open. Will S&W cover this since the whole top half of the gun is gonna have to be replaced now.
Old January 8, 2012, 04:40 PM   #2
guy sajer

Aside of the obvious "be careful" warnings are you able to post any close up photos ?

Please visit Olde English Outfitters

RIP John Forsyth
Old January 8, 2012, 04:44 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Pictures would really help.
Old January 8, 2012, 04:52 PM   #4
boostedtt91

here is where the piece broke off the slide
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT1289.jpg (141.6 KB, 172 views)
Old January 8, 2012, 04:54 PM   #5
TXAZ

Any chance for a less fuzzy pic and a circle or arrow to the location of interest?
Old January 8, 2012, 04:55 PM   #6
boostedtt91

here is two other views
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT1290.jpg (244.2 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg PICT1291.jpg (217.6 KB, 159 views)
Old January 8, 2012, 04:56 PM   #7
boostedtt91

thats the best my camera will do. Just look at the bottom the slide. its not straight the whole way across, you can see where the chunk is missing
Old January 8, 2012, 05:12 PM   #8
SharkHat

I don't see any chunks out of the slide, other than the slide stop notch
Old January 8, 2012, 05:17 PM   #9
Ridge_Runner_5

Nothing broke off the slide. That is a ramp they put in for the slide stop.

Last edited by Ridge_Runner_5; January 8, 2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old January 8, 2012, 05:27 PM   #10
3kgt2nv

outside in a safe area like at a range shooting bench put the front edge of the slide on a piece of wood and push down on the gun forcing the slide back.

this is the quick and dirty way of clearing the jam.

I had this happen on a 1911 that the ammo was slightly off for the feed ramp to chamber and this was the quickest / safest way to clear it.

after its clear inspect the feed ramp/mag for burs that may have caused the hang up. if your using steel/alum wolf stuff or lacquered cases that can cause the issue.
Old January 8, 2012, 05:27 PM   #11
mdThanatos

Stock Photo

Here is a stock photo of the side of the SW9VE, it has the same "chunk" missing, as others said it's for the slide stop.

Also have you tried pushing from the rear to get it to go back into battery? Also, not too familiar with the model or glocks but can you move the take down levers at all?
Old January 8, 2012, 05:29 PM   #12
zoomie

Putting the gun in the freezer for a while will make things contract and might help.
Old January 8, 2012, 05:44 PM   #13
bossman

You did drop the magazine right. Make sure you do that see if it helps any.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old January 8, 2012, 05:49 PM   #14
boostedtt91

oh haha i never noticed that notch out of there before. Thats a good thing!!!
I have tried pushing the front on something hard and it still won't budge. Im not sure what has happened in there
Old January 8, 2012, 05:51 PM   #15
guy sajer

Type of ammo ?

Using reloads ?

We see this often with a not properly resized brass case and/or the bullet being improperly seated which can bulge the brass , not permitting it to fully seat in the chamber . It'll chamber partially and be wedged in .

If using steel case ammo , sometimes the fired case will stick in the chamber (failure to eject) . The extractor claw is hooked on the case which locks up the slide .

Please visit Olde English Outfitters

RIP John Forsyth
Old January 8, 2012, 05:52 PM   #16
3kgt2nv

how hard did you push. when the 1911 jammed i had to put a good amount of my body weight on the grip to get it to unjam. with how fast a slide moves when a jam happens its usually pretty drastic.
Old January 8, 2012, 06:56 PM   #17
boostedtt91

i feel kinda dumb for never really noticing that notch on the side of the slide out. I guess when stuff like this happens, i always look at things to much and think was this like this before or not

I was shooting reloads, i had 100 of them and was down to the last 10 when this happened so maybe there was a bad on in there that caused it, ill have to check it out when i get it out.
I pretty much only shoot reloads that are mostly all Hornady XPT bullets and never had any issues before.

I have the gun sitting outside in the shed just incase so it will be getting pretty cold tonight so once i get up in the morning ill go out and stick the front on a piece of wood and try it again.
I didnt use alot of force cause i thought there was metal stuck in there jamming it up before so now that i know thats not the case ill give alittle more.

Thanks everyone for your quick reponses and ill let you know how i make out in the morning!!!
Old January 9, 2012, 10:54 AM   #18
boostedtt91

I got it out, used the piece of wood and pushed on the corner pretty hard and it popped open so thanks everyone for your help!
Old January 9, 2012, 11:05 AM   #19
k511

be sure to check out the interior to make sure everything is okay before use..
Old January 9, 2012, 12:19 PM   #20
boostedtt91

yeah there isnt anything wrong. I don't really see anything majorly different with round that was jammed compared to the rest so im not 100% sure why it jammed. I just took it apart and cleaned everything and took it out and firing 7 rounds through it and its working fine
Old January 9, 2012, 01:04 PM   #21
Onward Allusion

Look at the recoil rod/spring assembly for damage. I've had a similar incident (no round in chamber though) with one of mine a couple of years ago. The recoil guide rod somehow slipped below a part of the barrel during re-assembly and got stuck. Took a bit of finagling to get the pistol moving right again. BTW, this isn't solely a Sigma issue. I've had this happen with different make/models.
Old January 9, 2012, 01:43 PM   #22
boostedtt91

yeah i carefully inspected everything and found absolutely nothing. No marks on the barrel or feed ramps, the guide rod and spring were perfectly fine. Nothing out of the ordinary so it must of just got jammed up somehow when chambering. I check the seating depth of the bullet which is fine and actually just under the overall length for that bullet so its not that. Im going to pull the bullet and see if the case will chamber alone to see if maybe the brass is stretched to much. I don't want to try re firing it just cause i dont want it to get jammed again.
Old January 9, 2012, 03:59 PM   #23
3kgt2nv

usually its a crimping/resizing issue that causes this. get a go no go for the caliber and take the guess work out of it.
Old January 9, 2012, 04:26 PM   #24
boostedtt91

Thats what im taking it as that it was just a bad round. I shot some more of the reloads today and no issues