The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 19, 2012, 11:53 PM   #1
Papa12

Hand gun laws in NJ

I recently received my permit to purchase two handguns. I thought I'd keep one in my office which is a couple miles from home and one at home both for protection. My office is private. Is it legal to keep it there to use? Number two:
If I say travel to Pa for a weekend can I legally transport it there and keep it in my hotel room?..
Steve
Old January 20, 2012, 10:11 AM   #2
LarryFlew

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=new+jersey+handgun+laws

2nd ? is not that simple as CCW laws as well as 2 different state laws come into play.
Old January 21, 2012, 06:36 AM   #3
Sgt.Fathead

I was born and raised in NJ and spent twenty years shooting there before moving to America for the first time by way of Texas less than a year ago.

There are multitudinous questions here! Is your 'office' your own building with no other tenant or occupant? Or perhaps a leased unit in a multiple company building? Do you own the building/space or rent it? Are you near a school? Do you have a safe there?

As far as traveling, you must transport the arms and ammunition separate, both in 'secured' containers. Gun in trunk, ammo in passenger cabin or vice versa. As to keeping it in your hotel room; stored? loaded on the bedside table?

There are many, many ways to run afoul of law enforcement in NJ w/r/t firearms. Did you know that carrying a semi-automatic pistol magazine with even one round of ammunition in it, even with no gun that magazine might fit within a mile, is considered a concealed weapons offense in NJ? Did you know that if you go from your home, with weapons secured as specified by state law, to the bank, the dry cleaner, the range, then out for a burger and you get stopped for any reason by the police and they decide you've been joyriding with guns you could be in big trouble? One must go from home to range and back, no exceptions.

Don't think for a moment that using a firearm to defend yourself in NJ will not result in loss of the arm, thousands in fines, possible jail time, etc. Get yourself the name of a good gun rights attorney and pay for a consultation if you must, ask at the local gun club, study the codes online via NJSP, etc.

Good luck.
Old January 22, 2012, 12:44 AM   #4
war_elephant

You cannot keep a gun at your office for protection in NJ. The only place you can keep a gun is at home. You may take the gun to the range and then directly back home. Sgt Fathead is correct about what he states. If you are going to PA with your gun, you can get a PA permit but dont load the gun until you are in PA. Ammo and gun must be stored seperately in vehicle. NJ gun laws are crazy. They want you to be a victim in NJ. You can defend youself in your HOME with a gun, but really no where else. I am hoping to move later this year into the USA from NJ but will depend on selling my house.

Tags
transporting