The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 30, 2011, 08:02 PM   #1
bbqbob51

Cabelas employee discount, firearms included?

I have the offer for the employees pricing sale from Cabelas. How much do they discount firearms? Thanks!
Old December 30, 2011, 08:06 PM   #2
MTT TL

I am not completely sure. I stopped shopping there when they quit giving military discounts. The employee at the counter would always say that it was the same as what they got. Back then it was 10% for most items, 5% for ammo.
Old December 30, 2011, 08:14 PM   #3
bbqbob51

MTT, thanks for the info. I was wondering about the size of the discount. 10% is not too terrible but I was hoping for more.
Old December 30, 2011, 08:27 PM   #4
ming

I think Cabelas has a big end of the year sale starting Jan. 4. You might be able to get a better deal then.
Old December 30, 2011, 08:39 PM   #5
checkmyswag

I was very impressed on my first trip to Cabelas.

I liked the store a lot, all of the displays and wide variety. However, the way they do gun sales (at least at my store) I can only describe as gross.

Take a number? Wade through the crowd? No thanks...

have found an LGS that has great deals through galleryofguns.
Old December 31, 2011, 02:14 AM   #6
r_magill

Why not check the employee handbook or ask a supervisor (or if you don't work there, the employee that does)?
Old December 31, 2011, 02:58 AM   #7
steveno

when I worked at Cabela's the gun discount amounted to about 10% max and went down from there. a lot of guns there wasn't any discount at all.
Old December 31, 2011, 07:26 AM   #8
radom

I would watch for thier sales offers they have all the time on and off that seems to be like up to 30% at times.
Old December 31, 2011, 07:30 AM   #9
MTT TL

Quote:
I would watch for thier sales offers they have all the time on and off that seems to be like up to 30% at times.
Just keep in mind that their prices are often 30% higher than most places on the internet. Not saying you can't find an occasional deal but you have to struggle.
Old December 31, 2011, 07:36 AM   #10
radom

That I have to agree on as they do tend to be high on the baseline. BP guns they do have steals at times on sale but that may be a loss leader thing for them too.
Old December 31, 2011, 11:57 AM   #11
mitchntx

Read the fine print.

Many of there discount offers are for catalog or internet sales only.

And many of their firearms are not availble for sale via catalog or internet.
Old December 31, 2011, 12:29 PM   #12
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

Discounts at Cabelas are best for sales. As far as new guns - wait for a sale. I build up points (club card) with clothes and other purchases and use them on a gun (IF on sale) and ammo.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old December 31, 2011, 01:13 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Why not check the employee handbook or ask a supervisor (or if you don't work there, the employee that does)?
The "Employee Pricing" offer is just an advertising gimmick that has been mailed out to people on the Cabela's marketing list. It has absolutely nothing to do with actual employment.
(The actual family-and-friends-discount/employee-sale week is in late April or May, I believe.)

As for the OP-
It's either no discount, or only 5% on firearms.
Old December 31, 2011, 10:33 PM   #14
bbqbob51

I called them and I inquired about Ruger firearms and an associate at the gun counter told me it was about 9.5%. Just about covers tax and my gas to drive there. Not a great discount but better than a kick in the pants.
Old December 31, 2011, 10:49 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

That's good to hear. That's a huge improvement over past "employee pricing" events.
Old December 31, 2011, 11:03 PM   #16
BrittB

I went to Cabelas for the first time today and ended up buying a used Ruger P90dc. I was very impressed and I would go back. The prices on the new stuff is a tick high unless its on sale, then it seems to match others prices. The used stuff was priced about right so I pulled the trigger on the Ruger.
Old January 1, 2012, 11:01 AM   #17
Flapjack23

My brother used the discount on a pistol. Sorry if this is late.
Old January 1, 2012, 11:08 PM   #18
bbqbob51

I'm going tomorrow, hoping to cash $170 worth of gift cards and take them up on the "employee pricing" offer. From what I can tell from the conversation on the phone I had with them, a Ruger gun that has an MSRP or $629 and is offered by Cabelas for $529 on a daily basis will be sold to me for $479.
Hopefully they will have what I want!
Old January 1, 2012, 11:40 PM   #19
dvdcrr

One time I bought a $990 benelli there and they asked me if my check was good after telling me that my firearm had no value and they would not take it on trade. He said something like "I won't run the check if its not good so just tell us now if its not good." Man that made me feel like crap. Then the benelli didn't grow on me so I decided to see what they would give me on trade for it. This is like 2 months later at the most. They said they would give me 50%. They told me that they really were having a hard time moving benelli shotguns and they really couldn't give me much for it. I only do a gun deal there when I am trading in something I can't get to shoot and wouldn't sell to anyone I knew personally.
Old January 2, 2012, 12:00 PM   #20
Sgt.Fathead

Why would you buy with an insult like that? I've gotten poor information at Cabela's gun counters, but never been insulted! My wife and I bought our carry guns at the Cabela's store in Allen, TX, at an employee pricing sale event. Got $45 off each of the two Ruger SR9Cs we bought, $100 off of a Stoeger shotgun and dirt cheap pricing on Winchester and S&B 9mm, too.

Shop around, sometimes their prices are great, others not so much. We accumulate points and buy ammo on sale.
Old January 2, 2012, 09:46 PM   #21
bbqbob51

OK! I went down to the Scarborough Cabelas today and after taking my number at the gun counter I had to wait for an eternity to get a sales associate. The place was mobbed! It seemed that everyone wanted to see every gun in the gun case and after dry firing and opening and closing the action repeatedly on several guns almost all of them in front of me ended up walking away without making a purchase. Enough of that, I've vented. Now to my purchase:
I decided I wanted a Ruger LCR for concealed carry and they brought out their Cabelas exclusive package which comes with the gun, Desantis Nemesis pocket holster, and a Plano gun rug along with the standard Ruger soft case. The MSRP was $529.99 which had a sticker price of $459.99. When I presented the Employee discount card the sales guy told me it was probably good for a 3% discount on Rugers. I told him I had called a few days ago and the discount was a bit less than 10%. He said told me no way but he would check with the cashier and when she scanned to discount card it rang up $413.99! That is a $46 discount which is just a hair over 10% reduction.
I also picked up a set of Hyskore stereo electronic hearing protection headphones for a sales price of $14.99, marked down from $39.99! Even though I was a little irritated having to wait a while to get to the counter I think I got a pretty good deal and was worth it, especially with $170 worth of gift cards!
Old January 3, 2012, 06:33 PM   #22
bbqbob51

Before I shoot this baby I need to clean it. The manual says to us a cleaner that will not damage the polymer. This is my first gun with polymer so what is a good polymer friendly bore cleaner? I use Hoppes No. 9, is that safe? Don't want damage this little beauty.
Old January 3, 2012, 07:17 PM   #23
Rembrandt

The "Employee Discount" varies depending what the item is.....if it's a "Cabela's private labeled item it can be as high as 25% off, other name brand items won't get as much.

I just bought some items Saturday with the emailed barcode discount and got $150 off some already discounted after Christmas items.