The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 18, 2011, 04:54 PM   #1
whippoorwill

Beretta 92 Compact L (First Shots)

Yesterday, I took a middle-of-the-day break from deer hunting (muzzleloader), and tried out my new Beretta 92 Compact L at my hunting camp. Didn't take the time to set up my bench, so all shots were standing at approximately 10 yards. Only used one box of cartridges (inexpensive Federal from Walmart).

All cartridges fed, fired, and ejected flawlessly. Accuracy was excellent, and I look forward to seeing what it will do from the bench. It's obvious so far that when I do my job, the bullet hits the bullseye. The overall fit and finish of the pistol is excellent, and it exudes quality. Felt recoil was negligible, much less than in other pistols of comparable size (IMO). Slide was very, very smooth. I'm glad that I decided to keep and shoot it rather than sell it or have it age gracefully in the safe.

Hope this mirrors the experience of other owners of this fine firearm!
Old December 19, 2011, 07:46 AM   #2
ShipWreck

Great to hear. I have two, and they are very accurate guns!
Old December 19, 2011, 08:33 AM   #3
Marquezj16

Quote:
Hope this mirrors the experience of other owners of this fine firearm!
I've lost count on how many rounds through mine. Fits, functions, annd flawless.
Old December 19, 2011, 09:16 AM   #4
pgdion

Yep, matches my experiences with the full size 92FS. Accuracy is superb, they work well with all ammo and never hiccup, fit and finish is excellent, and the slides are by far the smoothest of any gun in the drawer. The whole gun just has a solid quality feel to it and it performs as good as it looks and feels. the 92's are the best guns I own period.
Glad yours is working out so well for you. I like that 92 Compact ... wouldn't mind having one of those someday myself!
Old December 19, 2011, 10:59 AM   #5
ShipWreck

Go get #2 now

Old December 19, 2011, 04:35 PM   #6
whippoorwill

Quote:
Go get #2 now
They'e already tough enough for other folks to find, alruistically speaking. I was lucky to see this one at the LGS in used but unfired condition (LNIB)! Glad I stumbled upon it.
Old December 27, 2011, 10:54 PM   #7
Darrin47

I bought a used one last Friday and can't wait to shoot it. This will be my first experience owning a 9mm and I hope to have a lot of fun with it. Does any one carry one of these? I am wondering how it feels, and the best kind of holster to get.

I live in Florida and recently mailed in my CCW app, I hope to be able to carry by March at the latest.
Old December 27, 2011, 11:34 PM   #8
Marquezj16

I carry mine part time with a pancake holster from Bianchi. I usually wear a loose shirt or jacket when carrying it. Feels good and fits well.
Old December 28, 2011, 09:43 AM   #9
ShipWreck

I carry mine occasionally - I typically carry my fullsize 92, though.

The compact will fit in any fullsize 92 holster. I use the same holster for both the fullsize and the compact. There will just be a tiny bit of extra space at the end of the holster, but that doesn't matter... Over the years, I used a Glock 19 holster for a Glock 26, and a P99 holster for a P99 compact. Always works well....

Go look at the Comptac Inifdel. Great IWB holster.

Spend $6.00 (or so) for a "D" hammer spring (a factory hammer spring that was originally for DAO Berettas)... Best and easiest trigger job with just a spring replacement... Cuts over 3lbs off the DA pull and almost a lb off the SA pull.
Old December 28, 2011, 01:22 PM   #10
whippoorwill

Thanks for the tip on the hammer spring! I might just try that.
Old December 29, 2011, 12:10 AM   #11
Bentonville

I recently purchased a 92FS and at ShipWreck's advice, installed the D spring. All I can say is... what he said. It is great and makes the gun so much easier to shoot than it already is. I took my college student son out yesterday with the Beretta and the P7. He and I were more accurate with the Beretta. I couldn't believe it. I have always been amazed at the P7 and now...Plus the recoil feels easier with the Beretta. Thanks ShipWreck for helping me to discover the Beretta.
Old December 29, 2011, 12:27 AM   #12
Aristides

Darrin47: How to carry...

I carry mine 24/7 using a belly band...not in the bed or shower, of course. But at work and home, with the belly band, I forget I'm carrying at all.

The secret for me is to wear a t-shirt under my dress shirt, with the belly band in between the two shirts. T-shirt, then belly band, then dress shirt. Drop the 92 Compact in the bellyband, then tuck in the dress shirt over top of the gun. My friends are amazed -- they can't tell I'm carrying at all! Very comfortable, too!

When I'm only wearing a T shirt and shorts, I use an IWB revolver holster that happens to hold the 92 Compact just fine. Leave the T shirt tucked out, can't see the 92. Voila!
Old December 29, 2011, 08:45 AM   #13
ShipWreck

Quote:
Thanks ShipWreck for helping me to discover the Beretta.
Haha, no problem. Glad ya like the gun
Old December 29, 2011, 08:58 AM   #14
Darrin47

Aristides:
Thanks for the tip. I won't be carrying at work as I am a computer tech for the county school board. But I plan to carry just about everywhere else.

Tomorrow I pick up the gun, and then it is just a matter of waiting for the state to process and send me the permit.

Bentonville, SHipWreck:
Is installing a D spring difficult? It is a modification I may employ once I get used to firing the gun.
Old December 29, 2011, 09:47 AM   #15
Bentonville

check out this youtube tutorial and see if you think you can do it. I shot the gun once with factory spring and it was not that fun. I thought I would just master the factory pull first but then ...why????
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AjEJU0_BCE
There are other web tutorial aids in doing this little spring change. Good luck!
Old December 29, 2011, 10:44 AM   #16
BerettaBuckeye

Great gun, one of Beretta's best. And if you can't change the hammer spring in less than 10 minutes turn in your man card*

* unless you have a very old model with a roll pin. Those can be a real "female dog" to change. I don't think you'll have an issue though. ShipWreck knows better than I but I think all the Compact L's were modern enough to not use the rollpin. Either way you can do it though
- Jeff Cooper
Old December 29, 2011, 11:38 AM   #17
Darrin47

I probably should have said that I bought a used gun, it may have already had the change made. Is there an easy way to tell?
Thanks
Old December 29, 2011, 01:37 PM   #18
ShipWreck

I learned to strip the frame from these videos:

http://www.beretta92fs.com/

They will show you how to take the factory hammer spring out...

Besides just the D spring, you wanna buy the USA style lanyard loop pin too.all Italian made 92s have a roll pin that needs to be hammered out with a bunch. And damn, if they are not in there tight....

So, after ya bang that damn italian roll pin out - change the hammer spring and put the new USA style pin in. That way - no more need for a hammer and punch to get the pin out.

As for parts, see here:

Here is your D spring (I buy several at a time, as they run out of stock quick - I am amazed they still have some): http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...RING-D-VERSION

And your pin: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...-PIN-90-SERIES

The pin sells out quick too.

Oh, FYI - I have a 3/32" brass punch I use to knock out those lanyard roll pins. Out of all the italian made ones I have knocked out, my 2 compact 92s were the hardest to get going. It will seem like you will want to give up. Just keep at it...

Watch those vids too - to teach ya how to strip the frame:
Old December 29, 2011, 03:06 PM   #19
Darrin47

Thanks, I downloaded the cd, it will come in handy.
Old January 1, 2012, 01:50 PM   #20
firemanjones

Shipwreck,
When you replaced the lanyard loop pin, you still used the original lanyard that came with the gun?
Old January 1, 2012, 03:08 PM   #21
ShipWreck

Yes, keep that part. Only changing the pin...