The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 1, 2012, 12:31 PM   #1
RockRiverWhisper

S&w mod 908

Just came up with a S&w mod 908 in a 9mm Cheep. Can you tell me any thing about them?
Thanks
sorry got the keys upside down

Last edited by RockRiverWhisper; January 1, 2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old January 1, 2012, 01:40 PM   #2
chadk7

I have a 908 and love it. It is basically a budget version of the 3913. I own both. The 908 uses some cheaper parts like the plastic guide rod and the sights. There are probably some other parts too. These can be switched put with the 3913 parts if desired. I have kept mine just the way I got it and have zero issues. The gun is very accurate for my and it is a very natural pointer. When I bring it up I don't have to look around for the sights or adjust to align them.

I carry this pistol every day and it conceals well with a iwb holster. Sometimes I get all the way into work and have to go back to my car because I forgot I had it on me. I saw another one at a shop the other day and was half tempted to get that one too but didn't.

You will be very happy with this gun. How much did you get yours for?
Old January 1, 2012, 02:38 PM   #3
dyl

Did you mean

S&W ?
Old January 1, 2012, 02:40 PM   #4
Sharpsdressed Man

FWIW, there is a nice set of spare parts up on gunbroker for the S&W 908 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=267517351
Old January 1, 2012, 03:13 PM   #5
RockRiverWhisper

Give 100$ for it, run 200 rounds of lead cast through it with no problems. It shows signs of laying around but nothing in the action.
Old January 1, 2012, 04:08 PM   #6
PSP

At $100 you need to turn yourself into the police for stealing that gun. It should normally be between $300 and $400, depending on the condition, etc..
Old January 1, 2012, 06:23 PM   #7
RockRiverWhisper

OK think I am going to trade in the 380 lcp and start carrying the s&m 9mm It is small and carries good + run a lot of led through it and it still has not failed. I have my own range back yard
Old January 1, 2012, 06:35 PM   #8
Shadi Khalil

For a $100 you would be a fool not to snatch it up
Chad's description was right on, basically the budget version of the 3919. Kinda like the Kahr CW9 is to the P9. You'll hear time and time again and it's true, the 3rd generation Smiths are fine handguns and it's a shame they were discontinued completely.
Old January 1, 2012, 06:59 PM   #9
chadk7

Man you got a deal. I paid $325 for mine and the one I saw the other day was $350.

Enjoy it!
Old January 1, 2012, 08:19 PM   #10
carguychris

Quote:
It is basically a budget version of the 3913.
Well, kinda.

The 908- no suffix- is a budget 3914. These pistols have blued finish.

The 908S and 3913 have stainless finish.

The other major difference between the 3913/3914 and 908/908S, besides the plastic parts, is that the latter pistols lack a RH-side ambidextrous decocker/safety.

OK, yeah, I'm nitpicking.

On a more serious note...

The 908 takes the same mags as the 3913, 3914, 3953, and 3954. (The latter two pistols are DAO versions of the first two.) There are two basic mags available for these pistols; one has a curved baseplate with a pinky rest extension, while the other has a flat baseplate without a pinky rest. However, the only piece that's different between the two is the baseplate itself, which is removable for cleaning and maintenance. Rather than buying two sets of mags, some shooters order alternate baseplates from S&W and switch them around as needed.

The 908 is drop-safe when carried in DA mode with the decocker/safety disengaged. The 1st-generation S&W pistols with two-digit model numbers were not completely safe to carry this way, but this flaw was fixed on the 2nd- and 3rd-gen pistols; yours is a 3rd-gen.

AFAIK the RH-side decocker/safety lever can be added to a 908, but this project is a good deal more involved than swapping out the guide rod and sights. I wouldn't bother with it because, as mentioned above, the pistol is safe to carry in DA/safety-off mode. Many S&W shooters use the decocker/safety solely as a decocker.

All standard-production S&W metal-frame automatics have magazine disconnects. If this really bugs you, instructions for disabling it can be found online; however, IIRC this project is also somewhat involved, and AFAIK it does not improve the trigger pull.

Good luck!