The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 25, 2011, 08:22 AM   #1
vito

LCP not much fun to shoot

I've owned my Ruger LCP for a few years, but must admit I had not fired it more than a very few times just to make sure it worked properly. Yesterday I went to the range to get some practice with it, and tried out a number of different brand ammunition types. Maybe its just me, but this is not a fun gun to shoot. "Snappy" is a word that seems to explain it, and I must admit that after only about 100 rounds my hand was hurting. I fired Speer's, Remington, Cor-Bon and another brand (cheap, but right now I can't remember the name. It came in a box of 50 and if I recall, was about the same price as boxes of 25 of other brands.) I couldn't say that any one type, whether 90 grain or 95 grain was more comfortable than any other and all in all, while this is a great little gun for pocket carry, it is not a gun that I want to take to the range for some enjoyable shooting. And by the way, what type ammo do you use when carrying for personal defense? This round is pretty small, and from the short barrel of the LCP I doubt that any of the ammo will pack a real punch but at least would like to load it with whatever is best for defensive purposes.
Old December 25, 2011, 08:32 AM   #2
9x19

I think the design parameters were for things other than comfort.

When Kel-Tec introduced the P32, it was meant to be a last-ditch backup that would hide easily and be small and light enough that owners wouldn't mind it's presence. That is exactly what the P32 is/was.

The Kel-Tec P3AT, from which the LCP takes many cues, was a very slightly larger version of the P32 with the intent to offer the same package in the more popular .380 ACP. Again, they succeeded very well.

The LCP came along a few years later, and pretty much follows the same design ideas as the Kel-Tecs, and again, I don't think shooting comfort for extended range sessions was in the mix.
Old December 25, 2011, 08:45 AM   #3
arch308

I own LCP with a CT lazer sight and my expierence shooting it was just like yours. It is not fun to shoot, I agree but with Corbons in it I feel well armed for its size and weight and with the lazer sight I can pretty well hit what I'm aiming at. A magazine with the little finger hook is available and does help alot.
I believe I will keep mine!
Old December 25, 2011, 08:52 AM   #4
vito

I agree with the comments made. I started the thread in part because I think that it is unlikely that I will want to fire this little gun enough to get really good at it, but that is my problem. I probably should look into the CT laser add-on.
Old December 25, 2011, 09:02 AM   #5
MLeake

Laser sights are not magic talismans; they won't make you a better shooter with the pistol just through installation. Poor trigger control and mechanics will put a bullet surprisingly far from where you thought the dot was.

However, the laser will let you practice some really good dry fire. I used one on a DA snubbie by holding the dot on small things like doorknobs and light switch plates throughout trigger pulls. That can make developing good technique, while breaking in your trigger, much easier and less painful.

Dry fire with the laser will do a lot more for you than simply mounting the laser would do.
Old December 25, 2011, 09:04 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

A laser won't make you shoot it any better.
Old December 25, 2011, 09:05 AM   #7
vito

Good advice. I just ordered the CT laser for the LCP. The LCP is much easier to pocket carry than even my j-frame S&W, so it is the likely gun to out the door with me when I travel to WI where I can legally carry. I think with practice the laser will give me a bit more confidence that I can use this gun effectively.
Old December 25, 2011, 09:06 AM   #8
arch308

True enough without some practice! The sights on the LCP are practically non-existant and the CT was a cool add on and I find it to be useful, after learning to use it.
Old December 25, 2011, 09:07 AM   #9
AH.74

I want to comment that you weren't mentioning any failures with all the ammo you were using. That's a good thing- it's reliable.

I love mine but agree it's not something I usually shoot 100 rounds through at a time.

I carry either Speer GD's or Hornady Critical Defense. I think for what it is they pack plenty of punch.

I did some reading about heavier recoil springs taming some of the snappiness and picked up a set of Wolff's 13lb'ers. Alas I have not yet had a chance to try them out but they feel a lot better in manual operation- the stock 9lb'ers are soft in comparison.

They are inexpensive- maybe worth a try to see if they improve the feel for you.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%...1/mID52/dID422
Old December 25, 2011, 09:10 AM   #10
jmstr

I've only shot one .380, and it was a Walther PPK. I have to admit that I like any of the 9mms I've fired more than that .380acp round. Size-wise the closest thing to compare was the Kahr K9. No question, the Walther PPK was harsher in recoil than the Kahr K9.

I would hazard a guess that it is the blow-back operation of most .380s that make them so uncomfortable, not just the physical size. But, less weight means less ability to absore recoil.
Old December 25, 2011, 09:25 AM   #11
arch308

I disagree jmstr, variety is the spice of life. I would say tho', too many calibers & not enough time.
Old December 25, 2011, 09:27 AM   #12
CDW4ME

The LCP is great for pocket carry; but, like you said it is pretty snappy to shoot.
One could use the power factor (PF) calculation to compare kick.

I've chronographed several loads out of a Kel-Tec P3AT / LCP
Winchester SXT 95 gr. @ 773 fps / 126# KE / PF 73
CCI Gold Dot 90 gr. @ 841 fps / 141# KE / PF 76
Federal HS 90 gr. @ 845 fps / 143# KE / PF 76
Remington GS 102 gr. @ 775 fps / 136# KE / PF 79
Winchester Ranger T 95 gr. @ 876 fps / 162# KE / PF 83

I can definitely tell the kick difference between the SXT and Ranger T.

Although the power factor produced by these loads is low compared to other rounds 9mm and up, the LCP is a lightweight pistol with just enough grip for two fingers, so the subjective felt recoil seems greater than indicated by the numbers.

Subjectively the LCP loaded with Ranger T and the whopping PF of 83 felt about the same to my hand as a Glock 29 (10mm) that generated a PF of 198 (155 gr. @ 1,278 fps / 562# KE). In fact, after shooting the 10mm I commented to my wife that the recoil was tolerable, not any worse than my LCP.
Old December 25, 2011, 09:36 AM   #13
Walt Sherrill

The LCP is enough like the P3AT that you can use the KTADDONs http://www.ktaddons.com/index.html grip enhancement material.

I've used that stuff on a P3AT, an LCP, and a version they make for the PF-9, my current most-frequently-carried gun, and it does make the shooting experience more pleasant.

The stuff is relatively inexpensive and certainly worth a try.
Old December 25, 2011, 10:41 AM   #14
srommes

The LCP is definitely not a fun range gun, that's a fact. I put about 25-50 rounds a range trip through it and that's it. Great little gun though and I carry it quite frequently in my front pocket without any hesitation.
Old December 25, 2011, 10:55 AM   #15
joyflnzz

P3AT

i carry a KEL TEC P3AT in my front pocket. i use the CT grip laser as the iron sights are useless. it is no fun at the range, but very comfy to carry. i would not carry a larger pistol, so the P3AT serves it's purpose.
Old December 25, 2011, 10:59 AM   #16
Nitrosxt10

LCP not much fun.

Yes this little barker is for defense not target practice. Cor bon Defense Hollow Points 6 in the mag 1 in the pipe double action ready to defend.
Fits anywhere that is what it is made for. With the Crimson Trace laser on it just right day or night. When I practice with the LCP 380 I shoot maybe 14 or so rounds of the same ammo that I would defend with just to stay ok with it. Hope this helps.

Lou
Old December 25, 2011, 11:11 AM   #17
B. Lahey

My girlfriend named my LCP "the mean little bastard." It is indeed not a lot of fun to shoot.

However, for me, it really doesn't get bad until after the first 50rds. So I take it out and shoot 50rds, and then move on to more comfortable handguns, fairly often. I can't do marathon sessions, so I try to make up for that with regular short sessions.

The only .380 ammo that both expands and penetrates 12" is the old Federal Hydrashok, so that's what I carry.
Old December 25, 2011, 11:14 AM   #18
jfrey

Anyone tried the Winchestger PDXT? Bought a box and they jammed up on the feed ramp everytime. Got a box of Aguila and they worked fine. Haven't found the CD ammo yet. Haven't shot mine a lot at one session but it isn't bad other than supporting bad trigger habits. The long trigger is atrocious when you are used to truely good triggers like a 1911. The gun is good for what it designed to be - up close and personal.
Old December 25, 2011, 12:06 PM   #19
ak2323

As people say its not meant to be a 'fun' gun.

It's a close range SD weapon. For what it is, I think it is accurate enough and certainly easy to conceal on a pocket holster.

Not tried it with a laser as I consider it a point-shoot gun.
Old December 25, 2011, 05:39 PM   #20
Daekar

I had a P3AT (gave it to my brother) and until I got the +0 grip extension, the darn thing was near impossible to shoot accurately or for any period of time. With the extension it became a usable gun.

I have a Sig P238 now, and it's actually a great little gun... fun to shoot and accurate as ANY pistol I've ever shot. The Colt version of the design should be just as good! 380acp pocket guns don't have to be miserable to shoot. :-)
Old December 25, 2011, 06:38 PM   #21
plouffedaddy

I find the LCP to be the least comfortable gun I own. Also, I'm the least accurate with it of any gun I own. I still feel I can hit a man at SD distances though... For me, the BG380 improves that in both arenas. That said, I still carry the LCP due to size and conceal-ability.
Old December 25, 2011, 06:51 PM   #22
wxl

Agree with Daekar on the Sig P238. Carry this often pocket carry when I am not carrying a Colt CCO or Defender. Pleasant to shoot and accurate. GREAT sights (nite sights too). Have no problem putting box of 50 into 8-ring of silhouette target at 20 feet. May pick up the Mustang sometime.
Old December 25, 2011, 06:55 PM   #23
Bill DeShivs

This is why I prefer the P32. It's actually pleasant to shoot. I bought 2 P3ATs when they came out. They are still unfired-that's how much I like the P32!
I would never rely on a laser as my primary sighting device. Learn to shoot the gun.
Old December 25, 2011, 08:12 PM   #24
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Quote:
but must admit I had not fired it more than a very few times just to make sure it worked properly.
My standard "shake down cruise" for any new handgun is at least 100 rounds. Especially one that I will be carrying for SD.
My first range session with my Elsie was probably closer to 150, and with several brands of ammo. I really didn't feel any fatigue more than shgooting any of mt other guns. I might also add it was fun, and little Elsie never shipped a beat through the entire session.

Quote:
I must admit that after only about 100 rounds my hand was hurting.
I also practice with a few mags through my CCW firearms whenever I make a trip to the range. Usually 2 or 3 times a month. Not each one every time, but the LCP gets quite a few rounds of practice regularly without any ill effects on my shooting hand!

Quote:
The sights on the LCP are practically non-existant and the CT was a cool add on and I find it to be useful, after learning to use it.
Maybe just me, and maybe just my experience, but my Elsie holds so naturally the the sights aren't a problem. They are not even needed. My LCP points so naturally it is like I was holding my trigger finger out to point to something in a natural way. I can draw, or raise the gun from the bench, and rapid fire a double tap to the center of a standard silhouette target @ 10 yards consistently. No sights, no glowing techno cool red dot thgingy gimmickry add on. Just good ole fashioned instinct shooting. Don't need batteries, or electronic gadgets that can fail for that!!!

I guess it's an individual thing, and maybe effected somewhat by how much you shoot.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 25, 2011, 10:32 PM   #25
ritepath

When I take my LCP out I put 25-50 rounds thru it, just enough to verify I'm still accurate and that it works. Then I move on to whatever else I'm there to shoot.