The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 22, 2011, 06:57 PM   #1
DieselNuts

ambidextrous safety on 1911

I am a right handed shooter and carry my 1911 on a pretty regular basis. I've recently gotten the bug to start modifying it and have been wondering if there is any benefit to having an ambidextrous safety. I've do e some research and can't seem to find the answer im looking for. Would it snag on clothes? Would it be easier to get the safety off ins situation where your right hand is disabled? Is it worth the trade off? What's the general consensus?
Old December 22, 2011, 07:22 PM   #2
RickB

I'm a lefty, have ambis on all of my guns of necessity, but I wouldn't have the ambis if I were right-handed. I'm sure there are dire circumstances that would indicate having an ambi could be beneficial, but I don't use the lever on the left side; when I shoot weak-hand, I flip the safety off while the gun is still in my strong hand. I never carry guns on the weak so, so don't practice weak-hand draws. If you think weak-hand draws, and extensive weak-hand manipulations are important, than the ambi may be for you.
While some complain about how weak ambis are, I have never had one break, and only had to tighten the pin joint on one, slightly, after years of left-handed use. I really think the problem is the installation; if the safety is installed with little thought given to extensive use of the lever on the right side, the pin join can loosen with use.
The modern "second generation" ambis - those that don't follow the original Swenson pattern - have a more secure mounting system, and are less likely to fail.
Old December 22, 2011, 07:36 PM   #3
shootniron

I really have no use for the ambi's on my carry guns.
Old December 22, 2011, 07:52 PM   #4
Yankee Traveler

My new 1911 came with factory ambi...
I am righty, my wife is a lefty but shoots right so I do not know if it wil ever be used until it is passed on to my son or daughter who are both lefties.
I don't know that it hurts anything, and while it would not influence my purchase, it would not be my first mod.
Old December 22, 2011, 08:06 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselNuts
Would it snag on clothes?
It might. It depends on the cloths. It can interfere with a thumb strap, if you use that type of holster, and I have also read of multiple instances in which an ambi safety has caused the safety on a holstered pistol to disengage.

Quote:
Would it be easier to get the safety off ins situation where your right hand is disabled?
Certainly.

Quote:
Is it worth the trade off? What's the general consensus?
Personal choice. Ambi safeties also have a tendency to work loose over time. Being a righty myself, I won't risk using one. My lefty friend can'y get by without one.
Old December 22, 2011, 09:51 PM   #6
DieselNuts

It seems that I probably should leave it alone then. Thank you everyone for your input.
Old December 23, 2011, 08:22 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

As a lefty, I have one on my TRP, I don't find that it creates any issues with holsters nor does it snag on any thing. With that said, since you are a righty, I don't see any real reason to put one on.
Old December 23, 2011, 02:28 PM   #8
orionengnr

Quote:
I have also read of multiple instances in which an ambi safety has caused the safety on a holstered pistol to disengage.
^^This. I had the ambi safeties removed from my 1911s for exactly this reason. And for me, it wasn't reading about it, but experiencing it. Finding the thumb safety off in the holster isn't a safety issue per se, but I would rather it stay engaged.
Old December 23, 2011, 05:07 PM   #9
KC Rob

I am a righty and have no use for an Ambi safety on my 1911's. You occasionally will hear from the uber-ninja's who will cite the unlikely scenario of your right arm being disabled and having to use your left and therefore needing an ambi safety. If this were to occur, you will find that disengaging the single side safety with your left hand is quite easy.
Old December 23, 2011, 06:07 PM   #10
Chindo18Z

Every 1911 I've ever owned (or been issued) that was equipped with an ambidextrous safety...routinely had that safety disengage during carry.

That happened regardless of holster or method of carry (even with a hard Kydex Safariland 6004). Duty holster, IWB, OWB, vest mounted, shoulder holster...it did not matter.

It happened with a custom Colt MKIV that I had fitted with a Standard Sized Colt Factory Ambi-Safety (both safety levers being non-extended, original 1911A1-pattern). I purposely went with the small lever configuration in order to mitigate the problem. The solution didn't work.

I don't use them anymore. Much aggravation for little return. I like my 1911s to remain cocked and locked until I'm ready to wipe the safety.

Quote:
...disengaging the single side safety with your left hand is quite easy.
This.
Old December 23, 2011, 09:08 PM   #11
ClydeFrog

Left handed shooters, Stag Arms; Brownells...

I'm a left hand shooter & left handed.
Id prefer a all-ambi control sidearm like a HK P2000 or a Walther P-88 or a "EZ9" but some weapons are not as well designed.
As for John M Browning's 1911a1, I'd check www.Brownells.com or www.midwayusa.com . There are many high quality ambi safety styles that won't snag or cause problems.
S&A also has a 1911 pistol ambi-mag release.
For top professional pistolsmiths see; www.AmericanPistol.com .
ClydeFrog
I'd add that Im still waiting for Stag Arms; www.stagarms.com to market a new "mirror image" 1911a1 type .45acp or .40... I'm still waiting.
Old December 24, 2011, 06:44 AM   #12
CDW4ME

I replaced the ambi safety on my Springfield EMP because I either carry it appendix IWB or in a Smartcarry, either way I didn't want the extra.

I left the Ambi safety on my Colt XSE lightweight Commander, if I carry this pistol it is strong side IWB and the extra safety lever is less of a hinderance.
Old December 24, 2011, 06:57 AM   #13
Ben Towe

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but does anyone make a strictly left handed safety? That would eliminate any potention problems with the ambidextrous safety.
Old December 24, 2011, 01:35 PM   #14
RickB

It would require cutting holes in the frame, a replacement plunger system, etc., rather than just a replacement part. The lever alone could be removed from the left side, leaving the actual safety feature intact. That would get rid of any snagging issues (though I've never had an issue with snagging or a safety disengaging itself).
Old December 24, 2011, 02:54 PM   #15
Sevens

Where was the safety lever on the Randall Portsider?
Old December 24, 2011, 03:23 PM   #16
varoadking

Quote:
I am a right handed shooter and carry my 1911 on a pretty regular basis. I've recently gotten the bug to start modifying it and have been wondering if there is any benefit to having an ambidextrous safety.
No...none...
Old December 24, 2011, 03:36 PM   #17
Fishing_Cabin

I dislike the ambi safety since I have had it moved off safe while in the holster. I tend to stick with the standard colt safety, or at least that style. Ive changed all the 1911's that I have which came with a ambi to this style.

As to the safety on the randall 1911, its on the opposite side of the regular 1911. There is one up for sale with pics here: http://www.gunsamerica.com/988073051...1911_45ac.htm#