The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 19, 2011, 06:01 AM   #1
rambilt

My Savage 93R17 TR does not like Hornady V-Max rounds!!

I went target shooting Saturday just to plink away... I went through 50 rounds of CCI FMJ 17HMR 20 grains first without a single problem. I switched to the Hornady 17HMR V-Max 17 GR and it won't even load right. It gets hang up, I can't move the bolt forward and when I tapped the bottom of the magazine three rounds out of five spits out of the magazine. I tried it a couple times then gave up when it does the same thing. I went back to the CCI rounds and had no problem. Another 50 rounds without a single incident!

Anyone have the same issue?

Thanks,

rl
Old December 19, 2011, 01:44 PM   #2
rr2241tx

That's really odd. I have two 93R17s and last time out we put 2,000+ rounds of Hornady V-Max 17 downrange without a single misfeed or misfire in either rifle although one of the magazines was a little balky seating fully in one of the rifles. Have not seen that CCI 20gr fed any different. Not a big fan of the magazine. Wish the after market would get something better (and bigger) on the shelves before varmint season this year.
Old December 19, 2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Inspector3711

Mine feeds every brand and bullet weight on the market just fine. Maybe a bad production run?
Old December 19, 2011, 03:27 PM   #4
rambilt

I'm calling Savage customer service tomorrow, maybe I have a defective Magazine. Thanks guys for the response..

RL
Old December 19, 2011, 04:06 PM   #5
paulcissa

Mine eats everything without issue. I have 3 OE mags for mine and one needed to be dressed due to some flash.
Old December 19, 2011, 07:32 PM   #6
BrittB

It's the magazine. They open up at the rear and you have to check them once in a while. Check the lips that hold the brass and bend down the offending side until it works properly.
Old December 20, 2011, 05:22 AM   #7
rambilt

Quote:
It's the magazine. They open up at the rear and you have to check them once in a while. Check the lips that hold the brass and bend down the offending side until it works properly
I did bend it a little at the range but not knowing exactly what to bend I'm not sure if I made it worst or not. I'll call Savage today maybe they can help. They'll probably make me buy a new magazine....