The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old December 16, 2011, 08:03 PM   #1
Magog

Ruger Mini 14 accuracy: GOOD ENOUGH!

I did not right the following I am just happy more and more people refuse to drink the BS kool aid when it comes to the mighty MINI 14.

Oh yeah, I bought my MINI because I could not afford an AR, and I am so happy I own it. What a smart buy my MINI 14 was.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

when i first started looking at mini-14's, i must admit it took me a great while to finally purchase one. i was reluctant mostly because of all the negative posts from people about how horrible the accuracy was. i specifically remember reading "don't bother to scope a mini, you'll just be mad you can't hit a beer can at 100 yards." and also that accurizing them would cost "$800 +," so it would be cheaper to just buy an AR.

I wanted to start this thread because from my perspective, these types of statements are completely false. i even had many arguments on this mini-14 board with posters claiming the average mini shoots 5 inch groups or so. so i am starting this thread to combat these statements, and let potential buyers know, the mini-14 is accurate enough.

even before i began spending a bit of time trying to get my mini to shoot better, i was holding 75% of my shots within 3" stickers. once i began practicing more, and made a few mods, i am happy to say my mini shoots around 2"....much better than i had been led to believe it was capable of.

now, i've plenty of paper targets i could show you (i shot 1.5 to 2.5" groups), but let's talk about.....false statement #1 i came across whne i was looking to buy a mini 14.

"don't bother to scope a mini, because you can't hit a can at 100 yards."

last time i was at the range, i snuck some fruit along. first, for kicks (and to check how fast i could aquire target). i blasted 1 "bad" apple at 25 yards with my red dot. then, thinking about this "can" issue, i put one apple and one mini watermelon out at 100 yards.

hit both on the first shot! now, i think an apple is a comparable size to a can myself, but next time i will bring a can if more proff is needed. the "bad" apple was to see if a can would be any problem. the watermelon was just to watch it explode!

bottom line: hitting cans with a mini at 100 yards....no problem for me.

ps-who gets the "bad apple" reference?

now, myth #2..."accurizing a mini will cost you so much, you might as well buy an AR"....

not really. here's my mini....accu-strut ($90, but could diy for MUCH less), even & torque gas block (free), front buffer (almost free). a few personal add ons like a new stock & handguard (just preference). the mods i made for accuracy were about $100.

you can have the most effective mods done to a mini to make it shoot better, for an amount between $50-150. not the $800 plus i kept reading about.

here's my mini 14. it also wears a redfiled revolution 2-7, and a millet red dot at times. i am completley satisfied with its performance and accuracy to this point.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger...tml#post683795
Old December 16, 2011, 08:36 PM   #2
Jim243

Mini's are an aquired taste, this one's a 30 not a 14. Have fun with your 14.

Jim

Old December 16, 2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Colonel Custer

Glad for you, and enjoy your gun.

My dept has authorised us to be issued the mini 14 for 20 years. I'm not impressed by it. I agree that the round is accurate as far as calibers go, but every year at requalifications a mini 14 or 2 always go to the armorer for repair work. We only use a one hundered yard range for it. Ofcourse as they are Govt. property we are not allowed to customize them therefore are stuck with a rather lack luster firearm. At least the AR15 has an intimidating silouette. I will never own one but this is only my opinion and for every gun there are fans. Enjoy the pasttime whatever your caliber.

Well I guess I will sleep with a chainsaw next to my bed. Not the same as a gun but I figure the sound of it revving up will be as effective as a pump shot gun being cycled.
Old December 16, 2011, 08:47 PM   #4
rickyrick

LOL, I never knew there was an issue with mini's .....
Old December 16, 2011, 09:06 PM   #5
roklok

Magog,

I think your screen name should be Mini-14 evangelist, or Mini-14 missionary. It is obvious you are enamored with the Mini-14, and I am happy for you. I just have to wonder why some seem to work so hard to try to get others to share their feelings on anything, be it guns, trucks,motorcycles,religion, etc. Is it to validate their own choices ?

For what it is worth, I have a 183 series Mini-14 and like it a lot. It was a police trade in I got at a gun show for 300 dollars. Guy had a whole rack of them. I can reliably hit gallon jugs at 200 yards with the factory irons.

I still prefer my AR-15s, but the Mini-14 is a fine rifle, and if others dont agree, I really dont care. To each his own.
Old December 16, 2011, 09:30 PM   #6
checkmyswag

Quote:
Is it to validate their own choices ?
Yes, think we all do it to some extent.

However, it's especially true when attacked for your preference by the majority who holds up their preference as the only intelligent and reasonable option.

I don't own AR15 or Mini-14 but I like them both. They're both good. Just different.

Now let's hold hands and sing Kumbaya.
Old December 16, 2011, 09:32 PM   #7
Magog

My MINI 14 looks intimating enough.
Old December 16, 2011, 10:31 PM   #8
thedaddycat

I have both an AR (Colt Sporter Target Model) and a Mini-14 Ranch rifle in SS. I bought the Mini new and have never even chambered a round in it but have a couple thousand rounds through the Sporter. After shooting the Sporter I just never saw the need to put the Mini into service.
Old December 16, 2011, 10:40 PM   #9
Gehrhard

Yeah, I like the idea of the Mini-14's. Just own an original stainless folder and a Bicentennial Edition now. They just cannot even be compared to an AR. They are more in the class of, duh, the M-1 Carbine which is likewise a really good, albeit large, pistol.

People who are trying to sell us on the Mini-14 and ChiCom stuff are doing exactly that -- defending their (cheap?) choice.
Old December 16, 2011, 11:12 PM   #10
rickyrick

I can never understand the flak that this rifle catches,

Every time I see a mini thread pop up I know what happens.

I don't see it for a cheap AR alternative; for 1, its not cheap and, for 2, its not cheaply.

It's not an AR, if I had wanted an AR, I woulda bought one.

I think if you bought a mini and really wanted an AR, then, that's a mistake.

I chose the mini because it has a feature or two that's been overlooked by most.... you can view the chamber from pretty much any firing position, without having to move much to see it. And in complete darkness it is easy to determine if the bolt is locked fully. You can retract the bolt ever so slightly and determine if a cartridge is chambered. These are distinct advantages to me as I use the rifle in the darkness several times a week.
Old December 16, 2011, 11:42 PM   #11
dsa1115

The question is...is in accurate enough for the purpose of use? If accuracy was your primary concern, I imagine you'd want to look at a bolt action gun. As long as it's accurate enough for your purpose, it's an excellent reliable rifle.
Old December 16, 2011, 11:52 PM   #12
ripnbst

What does a Mini 14 cost nowadays brand new? You can get into an AR for just over $550 in the current market brand new, that I know. From what I found after a quick online search it looks like they are priced the same.

I agree that if a Mini 14 was bought as a substitute for an AR then mistakes were made. I've always liked the way the Minis looked but have never shot one so all I know is what I've read.
Old December 16, 2011, 11:57 PM   #13
22-rimfire

I don't have any complaints with my Mini 14. I never expected 1/2" groups at 100 yds. It is a plinker for me. Nothing more. If I can hit a 6" paper plate at 100 yds, I'm happy.
Old December 16, 2011, 11:57 PM   #14
Magog

I got mine form CDNN and it was 598 including shipping.

No low end AR will give you a hammer forged barrel. And quality like that means something to me.

All Chrome molly BS
Old December 16, 2011, 11:59 PM   #15
hounddawg

Quote:
I've always liked the way the Minis looked but have never shot one so all I know is what I've read
same here, I see one occasionally on the used rack at a local store and have been tempted several times to get one, and I have 2 ARs
Old December 17, 2011, 12:30 AM   #16
RsqVet

Both ar and mini's are fine guns but hardly interchangeable.Accept that and move on.

Frankly I do not need most of the design features of my ar, though I like them. I also like the mini for it's basic and rugged qualities.

What also gets lost in all this talk is I would hardly recommend the ar's that can be purchased for the street price of a mini to a non enthusiast. Sure those of us with a brownelles catalog in every room of the house have little fear of tweaking bits that are not quite right on an ar but what about Joe blow the rancher? Ruger is a good company and 99% of the mini's out there are right from the box and hold up for years. I can not say that about the cheapest of the basic ar's. Call me a snob but a basic colt, LMT or RRA is as cheap as I care to recommend for someone who just wants a gun that works.
Old December 17, 2011, 08:26 AM   #17
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

I put, I dunno, somewhere north of 2,000 rounds through early Minis. I've had two blued ones; two stainless. Kept making a bit of profit, so I'm out of the Mini-14 bidness for now.

I found that the first shot or three from a cold barrel always went where I wanted, as into a jackrabbit or a coyote. That the Mini doesn't give tight five-shot groups is irrelevant to my use for hunting.

I never had any failure to feed, fire or eject. Never.

As far as the unlikely need for home defense, minute of torso oughta be plenty good, but I'd venture that the Mini is plenty good for minute of brain box.

If tight groups at the benchrest is your deal, don't get an early Mini. For about all other uses, it's as good as anything else out there.
Old December 17, 2011, 08:44 AM   #18
TX Hunter

I plan to get a Mini 30, I just like them better than the AR, its more of an Old School weapon.
Feels tougher to me. Enjoy your rifle.
Old December 17, 2011, 08:51 AM   #19
sailskidrive

>>Oh yeah, I bought my MINI because I could not afford an AR, and I am so happy I own it. What a smart buy my MINI 14 was.

I have a Mini 14 GB and several ARs; other than the fact they are both chambered for .223/5.56 I really don't understand why they are constantly compared to each other. Assault rifle/ranch rifle

Low end ARs are now back in the same price range as a new Mini so I don't believe the price comparison argument remains valid. I bought my Mini simply because I wanted one for the collection.

Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old December 17, 2011, 08:57 AM   #20
stu925

I'm with Art, but I'll add that my 581 series Mini straight out of the box was shooting 2.5" groups with factory ammo. That was plenty of accuracy for what I intended to do with it. However I'm a handloader and when I work up a load I like to find the most accurate one I can, so far my best load is just a bit under 2" but I'm sure it'll do better with a bit of tweaking. I should add that mine has less than 400 rounds through it still and they generally shoot better after 500 or so I've been told. Now as for my reason for picking the Mini, it's simple I don't much care for ARs. I could easily enough afford an AR, but I don't want one. I like the look of the Mini, I like the Garand style action. My only complaint I have with the Mini is the sling swivels and they're replaced easily enough.

Stu
Old December 17, 2011, 10:35 AM   #21
kd7sgm

I have a mini 14 new series that shoots well. I use it to shoot coyotes out to 350-400 yards. I also have a DPMS AR and honestly do not see any difference in performance.
Old December 17, 2011, 10:35 AM   #22
Rugerismisticness

That's the ideal setup for a Mini IMHO (to the OPs mini), but I like that hogue stock. Great lookin gun, I need to find room for a mini too one of these days.
Old December 17, 2011, 10:53 AM   #23
Marquezj16

Quote:
other than the fact they are both chambered for .223/5.56 I really don't understand why they are constantly compared to each other. Assault rifle/ranch rifle
This never ends, Mini14s have been compared to AR15s since they have coexisted. Some mini owners will state theirs is "just as good as an AR" and then some AR owners will answer with "there is no way your Mini could be as accurate as my AR".

This is just silly, and funny. lol
Old December 17, 2011, 11:07 AM   #24
arch308

I don't own a Mini but my brother has a SS he bought back in th 70's. It is functionally flawless and I have seen him take the head off a rabbit @ 80 yds. That's accurate enough!
Old December 17, 2011, 03:46 PM   #25
brmfan

My AR flies planes, has made Chuck Norris tap out, and reads me bedtime stories... top that Mini fans!!
Closed Thread