The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 9, 2011, 12:54 AM   #1
Sheikyourbootie

New CZ83 review after first range trip

Review of the CZ-83

Initial impression: I was never enamored with the .380 cartridge; and never really sought after one. This changed when another person at the range had the CZ83. He was curious about my S&W 627 and asked about it. I let him shoot my gun, and he had me shoot his CZ. It had the best single action trigger, right out of the box of any stock pistol I have tried…bar none. The grip fit my hand very well! AND It’s set up with the ability to be carried cocked and locked, as God intended.

This is a heavy for caliber (1.8#) gun, 6.8” overall length with a 3.8” barrel. Magazine capacity, in free states is 12+1 or 13+1 if you use the CZ82 magazines designed for the 9x18 Makarof. Here, in the Peoples Republik of Commifornia, where Communist Democrats rule the roost, the magazine capacity is 10+1. It’s roughly the same size as the Browning BDA, Baretta 84, and Sig 232.

So those of you who will aptly point out the very valid point that more powerful guns exist in smaller packages than this….I KNOW…I carry one (.357 mag 340PD) There are also 9mm and 40’s, but I like this gun! I don’t find these smaller guns with more power to be all that enjoyable to practice with, compared to this CZ. This will make a very nice gun for those, like my wife, who are VERY recoil sensitive.

After this initial exposure at my range, I felt compelled to try out various .380 rentals. I liked the Sig P232 (about 300 dollars more than the CZ) and the cool little pocket gun, the 238. (That 238, in spite of the funky magazine release, will make a hell of a pocket pistol, and is on my short list….down the road. It’s like a “mini-me” 1911). The Baretta 84 felt very similar to my grandfather’s Browning BDA….nice gun that digested all ammo it was fed, but quite a bit more expensive than the CZ, and I’ve never been fond of decockers. The Bersa I tried was pretty finicky about ammo. The Kahr P380 looks nice, but after the poor customer service we had with my wife’s pistol (that we sold off), Kahrs are off my menu.

Right out of the box, heavy grease coating and all, I ran 300 rounds through her, primarily of the Sellier and Bellot FMJ, but it digested the crappy Blazer rounds, the UMC hollow points and the Winchester flat nose FMJ. Not ONE FTF or FTE. This gun runs like a sewing machine.

DA operation: The DA pull breaks at about 9#. It is a smooth pull, with just a bit of stacking right before the hammer falls.

SA operation: This was measured at 3.5#. The break isn’t like the “glass rod” that 1911 users are used to feeling, but it’s SMOOTH and lends itself to accuracy, nonetheless. It has a bit of take up, but no grittiness or creep. At the very last part of the pull, you can see the hammer pull back ever so slightly. This coincides with an ever slight amount of stacking. Over-travel was minimal.
Safety: The safety can be engaged by pushing up on the lever (similar to a 1911), but cannot be engaged in DA mode of operation. There is NO decocker. I consider this a plus, as I don’t feel such a feature belongs on a carry gun, but those who like a decocker may not like this feature.

Magazine safety: There is none. This is also a plus, in my eyes. If there is a round in the chamber, and I pull the trigger…I want the thing to go boom…whether the magazine is in, or not. The magazine release (Especially if you insert a magazine that is topped off) is STIFF!

Field Stripping: This is a VERY simple design. The trigger guard is pulled forward and down. This releases the slide. The slide is then pulled back as far as possible, then the rear of the slide is tipped up and then forward to slide off the barrel with the slide spring. The barrel is fixed to the frame, and the gun is now ready to be cleaned/lubed.

Conceal ability: Again, this pistol is admittedly large for caliber. I will carry in an HBE IWB tuckable, or in a CZ police surplus FIVE DOLLAR shoulder holster…depending on what I am wearing. This is the area where those who choose to flame on about being able to pick a 9mm or a .40 that are actually smaller, have admittedly valid points. This gun really is too big for pocket carry. Also, if that is your goal, there ARE other 380’s available here in the PRC such as the Kahr P380 or the fantastic Sig 238!

Here is a brief video I did (sorry it was a bit dark...have not figured out how to do the settings I want on my daughters video camera)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNJz_E3bR_g
Old December 9, 2011, 01:09 AM   #2
Daekar

Posts like this are dangerous. They make me want to buy things.

I have been interested in larger 380s for a little while now, and while I'm very happy with my Sig P238, the CZ-83 piqued my interest. How would you say felt-recoil compares between the P238 and the CZ? If you say the CZ is lighter, I might have to buy one....

My better half is, too, very recoil sensitive. The only pistol I can get her to shoot is a Ruger MKIII. If she'll shoot this one... it would be worth the asking price.
Old December 9, 2011, 01:21 AM   #3
Sheikyourbootie

The P238 is snappier in recoil than the CZ83. If you look at the last few seconds of the video, you can see the recoil and get a general idea of how light the recoil really is.
Old December 9, 2011, 03:14 AM   #4
AndyWest

Thanks, Sheik. Nice job on the homework and video, much appreciated. I'd also like to add a "biggish" 380 to my collection and the CZ may just fit the bill.
Old December 9, 2011, 07:27 AM   #5
PSP

Nice report, thanks. Though not my personal favorite, the CZ83 is a very competent pistol, reliable and accurate.

Quote:
It’s roughly the same size as the Browning BDA, Baretta 84, and Sig 232.
Here's a size comparison photo with the mentioned Beretta and Sig as well as a PPK/S and a Sphinx.
Old December 10, 2011, 04:31 PM   #6
Sheikyourbootie

psp...that is a nice collection.
Old December 10, 2011, 04:54 PM   #7
wild cat mccane

A couple of descriptions in your writing makes me think you don't have many friends.

For example "communist democrats rule California."
Odd for a communist rule area. California is the worlds 6th largest economy. By itself.
Old December 10, 2011, 06:21 PM   #8
Stringfellow

Its funny--I can remember being pretty vocal about the evils of communism and a litany of other "isms"...back when I was maybe 16 or 17. Since then, I learned that the world is a big place, with a lot of perspectives, and little room for those who try to shoehorn beliefs into black and white.

But I digress... I love my CZ82, and I think your '83 will serve you well across many different uses.

PSP reminded me though--in my perfect world, I would like to snag a Beretta 84 or 85.
Old December 10, 2011, 10:58 PM   #9
meanmachine1961

Love my 83.

Old December 11, 2011, 12:35 PM   #10
Sheikyourbootie

500 more rounds through this gun, including 200 rounds of the wwb. I was concerned the flat nosed profile might give some feeding issues, but no problems.

Now...time to sit by the fire and clean her up. I love the smell of Hoppes #9 in the morning!
Old December 11, 2011, 01:23 PM   #11
DragonDog

Quote:
Now...time to sit by the fire and clean her up. I love the smell of Hoppes #9 in the morning!
Love it Sheik! I think I'm gonna have to get me an 82 after reading this. I love CZ's!
Old December 11, 2011, 01:39 PM   #12
Daekar

Well he's right... they ARE communist, and they DO want a disarmed populace. Whether you like that sort of thing is up to you. Some do, some don't.

I'm guessing he doesn't, because it prevents him from doing things he wants to do despite his status as law-abiding. As for the comment about friends, not only was it out of line, but inaccurate. Aside from the cesspools that are California cities, the rest of the state has some reasonably sane people in it, many of whom resent the controlling tendencies of the urbanites. Please don't make offensive assumptions without sufficient information.

I'm glad the CZ is working out for you! Look forward to seeing some targets posted.
Old December 11, 2011, 02:06 PM   #13
Sheikyourbootie

Deaker, I'm not going to get into a battle of wits with someone as disarmed as wildcat. Since he's to lazy or inept to do his own research, here is the case of the 9th circus court on upholding the "assault weapons ban" where they deemed that there is no individual second amendment right. Of course, heller vs DC SHOULD lay the groundwork to overturn this bogus ruling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silveira_v._Lockyer

Other things that make it difficult to run my business here in the Peoples Republik are the myriad of regulations I have to wade through. The last 40 acres we have to farm, CARB not only arbitrarily banned burning IN FIREPLACES...on a whim, they are now regulating DUST....yes DUST for farming. I'm glad the walnut acreage is essentially a hobby, at this point. I pretty much ignore their regulations, or I'd never get anything done.