The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 10, 2011, 06:07 PM   #1
roadrat

Best way to ship a firearm nowadays?

Got a buyer for my Sig.

I'm in TX. Buyer is in NV.

Trying to do this on the cheap.

I am 99% sure I as an individual can ship to the buyer's FFL. (right?)

Anyone know the specifics on shipping thru FedEx or UPS? Seems like the rules change from time to time
Old December 10, 2011, 06:14 PM   #2
docnyt

Yes you can ship to an FFL as long as the FFL accepts from an individual.

Cheapest way in my experience is to pay my FFL to ship, as they can use USPS. Shipping via UPS has become expensive and such an ordeal for some. YMMV.
Old December 10, 2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Yes you can ship to an FFL as long as the FFL accepts from an individual.

Cheapest way in my experience is to pay my FFL to ship, as they can use USPS. Shipping via UPS has become expensive and such an ordeal for some. YMMV.
This is good info and I do recommend what was said.
To ship a handgun via Fed-Ex or UPS you must ship priority overnight which is the most expensive way to ship a handgun.
This is not Federal law it's Fed-Ex and UPS rules.

I just shipped a handgun back to a customer that lives two states away and the cost for shipping was a litle over $100.00
If he could have found an FFL to receive it I could have saved him about $60.00.

Do not try mailing a handgun if you do not have an FFL as you will be in violation of Federal law.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Last edited by Hunter Customs; December 11, 2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old December 10, 2011, 06:31 PM   #4
jcsturgeon

Best way to ship a firearm? A courier ala "The Transporter" who won't ask questions and will deliver the package no mater what the cost.

But yeah, you could do a FFL transfer too.
Old December 10, 2011, 09:27 PM   #5
boostedtt91

USPS will not ship a firearm. I just shipped a rifle and i shipped it UPS which was the cheapest and easiest. It was $15 to ship it half way across the country. I took it first to a Fedex ship center and even though it says on their site that you can ship a gun through them, they wouldnt let me
Old December 10, 2011, 09:35 PM   #6
PSP

The cheapest way I've ever used is the friendly FFL on your end using USPS for about $10-12, shipped to the FFL in the other state. Even if your FFL charges a modest fee, it is still cheaper than Fed Ex usually.

Quote:
Best way to ship a firearm? A courier ala "The Transporter" who won't ask questions and will deliver the package no mater what the cost.
That would be illegal. Maybe I'm a wuss, but I'd rather not risk the felony and4 years in a federal facility to save $50.
Old December 11, 2011, 08:41 AM   #7
wbw

I recently sent my SIG in for repair and UPS bent me over to the tune of $82.00.
Old December 11, 2011, 09:04 AM   #8
Walt Sherrill

If you have an FFL (dealer or gunsmith) you're comfortable doing business with, and they ship by US Postal Service, the cheapest way to ship is to pay them a transfer/handling fee and let them ship it through the mail system, insured.

You will be hard pressed to ship a typical handgun any distance in the US, yourself, for less than $50. If you have to add the FFL costs to that...

Unhappily, too, not all FFLs will accept transfers from a non-FFL.

While shipping it yourself by UPS or FedEx can be too expensive, if you try to use stealth methods (not telling the shipper what you're shipping), you could have difficulties if you have to make an insurance claim. (I had difficulties, in terms of time and effort, with an insurance claim even WHEN it was done right.)

Quote:
That would be illegal. Maybe I'm a wuss, but I'd rather not risk the felony and4 years in a federal facility to save $50.
I won't "SNEAK" a handgun like that, either -- but I'm not sure that shipping stealth would lead to a FELONY indictment.

The regs state that firearms or ammunition delivered to a common carrier for shipment must be accompanied by a written notice to the carrier of the contents of the shipment. I've NEVER given a shipper such a written notice, but I've always told them what was being shipped -- and paid the extra freight.

I suspect that the carrier would give you trouble, if they found out -- but it if was shipped to a proper receiving party, what would happen if the Feds got involved is less clear.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; December 11, 2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old December 11, 2011, 09:49 AM   #9
varoadking

Quote:
USPS will not ship a firearm.
Sure they will...they do it all the time...
Old December 11, 2011, 10:02 AM   #10
ThorInc

UPS will empty your wallet....., sorry I am off topic but back to it, use USPS.
Old December 11, 2011, 10:10 AM   #11
PSP

Quote:
I won't "SNEAK" a handgun like that, either -- but I'm not sure that shipping stealth would lead to a FELONY indictment.
I was assuming the omission of a recieving FFL on the other end. That would be a felony. I don't know whether a "transporter" falls under the BATF's "common carrier" edict.

Last edited by PSP; December 11, 2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old December 11, 2011, 10:35 AM   #12
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
I was assuming the omition of a recieving FFL on the other end. That would be a felony. I don't know whether a "transporter" falls under the BATF's "common carrier" edict.
Yeah, that could lead to a felony indictment...

But, you can ship IN-STATE in some cases without involving an FFL, if your state laws don't cause you problems. Long guns by mail, even. State law control IN STATE transfers, but postal regs still allow only FFLs to ship handguns by mail.
Old December 11, 2011, 11:58 AM   #13
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedtt91
USPS will not ship a firearm.
That would be news to USPS management. There are restrictions on what may be mailed and by whom, but USPS will definitely mail firearms if the published terms are met:
Quote:
12.1.2 Handguns
[11-7-11] Handguns and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in 12.1.3 and 12.1.5 after the filing of an affidavit or statement required by 12.1.4 and 12.1.6, and are subject to the following:

a. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 12.1.1b, and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 12.1.1g.

b. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 12.1.1b which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest may be accepted for mailing without regard to 12.1.3 through 12.1.6.

c. Air guns that do not fall within the definition of firearm under 12.1.1a that are capable of being concealed on a person are mailable; but must include adult signature service under 503.8.0. Mailers must comply with all applicable state and local regulations.

d. Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers or other parts or components regulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C.

e. Mailers are also subject to applicable restrictions by governments of a state, territory, or district.

12.2 Rifles and Shotguns
[11-7-11] Except under 12.1.1d and 12.1.2, unloaded rifles and shotguns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing under 12.1.1d. The following conditions also apply:

a. Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when sent within the same state of mailing. These items must bear a "Return Service Requested" endorsement, and must be sent by Express Mail ("signature required" must be used at delivery), Registered Mail, or must include either insured mail service (for more than $200) requiring a signature at delivery.

b. A shotgun or rifle owned by a non-FFL may be mailed outside the owner's state of residence by the owner to himself or herself, in care of another person in the state, where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. These mailpieces must:

1. Be addressed to the owner.

2. Include the "in the care of" endorsement immediately preceding the name of the applicable temporary custodian.

3. Be opened by the rifle or shotgun owner only.

4. Be mailed using services described in 12.2a..

c. Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by a non-FFL owner domestically to a FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer in any state. USPS recommends these items be mailed using those services described in 12.2a..

d. Except as described in 12.1.2a, licensed curio and relic collectors may mail firearms meeting the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 domestically to FFL licensed curio and relic collectors in any state. USPS recommends these items be mailed using those services described in 12.2a..

e. Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest may be accepted for mailing without restriction.

f. Air guns that do not fall within the definition of firearm under 12.1.1a are mailable. A shipment containing an air gun with a muzzle velocity of 400 or more feet per second (fps) must include an Adult Signature service under 503.8.0. Mailers must additionally comply with all applicable state and local regulations.
http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#1198527
Old December 11, 2011, 08:12 PM   #14
Florida Guy

I shipped a pistol within my state (less than 500 miles) via UPS and it cost me $64. I told the buyer it would be around $50, so I ended up losing $14 on my end.
I would have been better off having an FFL send it via Priority Mail.
Next time.
Old December 11, 2011, 08:35 PM   #15
boostedtt91

oh i was told the post office will not ship firearms, i guess i was given wrong information. As far as UPS goes, i dont know how everyone is spending so much to ship them. I shipped a Lee Enfield which is a pretty long and i packed it pretty damn good so it was somewhat heavy and i only paid $15 to ship it across the country. Maybe they charge you alot more to ship a handgun
Old December 11, 2011, 08:42 PM   #16
dogtown tom

Quote:
boostedtt91 ....Maybe they charge you alot more to ship a handgun...
Both FedEx and UPS require handguns to be shipped Overnight or Next Day respectively.

Both allow rifles and shotguns to go Ground.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old December 11, 2011, 09:30 PM   #17
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Both FedEx and UPS require handguns to be shipped Overnight or Next Day respectively.
Fed-Ex requires handguns to be shipped priority overnight which is the most expensive way and fastest way to ship something.
I have not used UPS for any shipping for several years but the last I knew of they were the same as Fed-Ex.
As a matter of fact it was UPS that started all this BS on shipping handguns, it had something to do with some of their employees stealing handguns that were being shipped.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 11, 2011, 09:36 PM   #18
Ridgerunner665

I just take them to my FFL...$10, any gun, anywhere...pistol, rifle, shotgun....doesn't matter.

Its much simpler that way.
Old December 11, 2011, 09:40 PM   #19
oneounceload

Quote:
Fed-Ex requires handguns to be shipped priority overnight
Not for everyone - S&W uses Fedex with a 2nd day PM delivery to save money - they just shipped my gun back to me
Old December 11, 2011, 09:50 PM   #20
jcsturgeon

I've had gun dealers tell me you can break a gun down and ship it USPS. I don't know if this is true, but if you take a 1911 for instance and field strip it, packaging each component individually does it still constitute a firearm?
Old December 11, 2011, 09:55 PM   #21
WVsig

Quote:
I've had gun dealers tell me you can break a gun down and ship it USPS. I don't know if this is true, but if you take a 1911 for instance and field strip it, packaging each component individually does it still constitute a firearm?
Frame = Handgun
Old December 11, 2011, 11:04 PM   #22
Walt Sherrill

WVsig got right to the heart of the issue. (Dealers can tell you a lot of things, some of which is totally wrong.) Some folks believe that you can break a handgun down and ship the parts separately, thereby avoiding the AIR DELIVERY costs of sending a handgun by UPS or FedEx. You can't do it as far as the carrier is concerned.

As noted, the frame or receiver is the gun. You can't ship that part of a handgun through the US Postal Service unless you're an FFL. You can ship any other part of a handgun by mail, though.

Want to get a slide refinished, or sights added? Just mail the slide (properly insured) to the firm or person of your choice.

You can't ship ammo by mail, either.
Old December 11, 2011, 11:19 PM   #23
James K
Member In Memoriam

Even the term "handgun" is too broad when dealing with USPS. They will ship an antique handgun with no problem. BUT note antique, NOT Curio and Relic; they are NOT the same thing.

Jim
Old December 12, 2011, 09:26 AM   #24
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Not for everyone - S&W uses Fedex with a 2nd day PM delivery to save money - they just shipped my gun back to me
I'm sure the above statement is true if you have a large account with Fed-Ex or UPS.
However the individual or those operating a small busines such as myself do not get those breaks.
That's what makes UPS or Fed-Ex reasoning on the way to ship a handgun BS.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 12, 2011, 09:37 AM   #25
RUT

>>I would have been better off having an FFL send it via Priority Mail.<<

Ditto that..........